Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wco81

No way to fund the registry.
Have you tried the steps in the wiki page?

Set up a gift registry for yourself
Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
Log out of united.com
Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
Contribute using your Amex platinum card
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I created my registry over a year ago.

I sent an announcement and no emails so far.

I found the original registry announcement and I click Make Contribution and it goes to a page with buttons to Create Registry, Manage Registry and search by name.

Search by name doesn't find anything.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus

I found the original registry announcement and I click Make Contribution and it goes to a page with buttons to Create Registry, Manage Registry and search by name.

This is the same issue I am experiencing, read a couple of posts above.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Has anyone got the airline credit recently from buying gift cards in the Mileage Plus X app.?

People were buying Amex gift cards last year and they got the credit back. But lately people are saying it no longer works.

How about other kinds of gift cards, like they have gift cards for things like Starbucks, Panera Bread, etc.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite

Yeah I've been having issues as well - United IT at its best no doubt - email link just reverts back to the main registry page as quoted above.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:23 pm
Suspended

They also seem to have some kind of gift certificates and even have a page where you enter the number to check the balance.

But I see no way to buy gift certificates.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Has anyone got the airline credit recently from buying gift cards in the Mileage Plus X app.?
No. Scroll back and read forward.

But I see no way to buy gift certificates.
Correct, these were replaced by the Registry.

We've decided to discontinue the United gift certificate program, so gift certificates are no longer available for purchase. You can redeem any existing gift certificates and check your balance on the Check Gift Certificate Balance page.

You can still help your family and friends get to where they want to go by purchasing gift miles. On the Buy Miles page, simply select “Give Miles” and log in to your MileagePlus account to get started.

We also invite you to check out united.com gift registry to see if your favorite traveler is registered to receive the gift of United flights.​​​
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...tificates.aspx
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
The registry can be used to purchase tickets for any traveler, even if account holder isn't traveling, correct?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:47 pm

After adding money, how do you redeem? I don't see any options on checkout for Gift Registry, but assuming since I just added $ it's b/c it's within 24 hours?

Last edited by Soccerjoshj07; Jan 3, 2017 at 8:03 pm
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:13 pm

Can registry be combined with another payment option? I assume one credit card is possible.

What about a credit with united. I have a cancelled ticket from last year that I must use up and i would like to merge it with this travel bank. (E.g. $300 from credit w united + $200 for a $500 flight)

Thanks

// edit the cancelled ticket credit I was told can be used for any route that's marketed by united. It need not be the original route or United metal.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:31 pm

I purchased another $ 200.00 for the travel bank on Sunday. Posted today but no credit yet. I didn't make a new choice after Dec 31, I assume as long as I don't make a change they keep UA as my
preferred airline.Hope my assumption was correct.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Can registry be combined with another payment option? I assume one credit card is possible.
Yes, no problem. I often have a few bucks in my Travel Bank via the $5 credits from the United.com club for each ticket and apply them.

From the T&C at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ravelbank.aspx

TravelBank cash cannot be used as a form of payment in combination with PayPal Credit, online check by TeleCheck®, Alipay, cash, gift certificates or United Airlines travel certificates.

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
After adding money, how do you redeem? I don't see any options on checkout for Gift Registry, but assuming since I just added $ it's b/c it's within 24 hours?
When you book a flight, as part of the payment process shows you your available Travel Bank balance and you can apply it. I think it takes a day or so after purchase for new credit to become part of the available balance.

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I purchased another $ 200.00 for the travel bank on Sunday. Posted today but no credit yet. I didn't make a new choice after Dec 31, I assume as long as I don't make a change they keep UA as my
preferred airline.Hope my assumption was correct.
I operate under the same assumption because that's how it worked last year. Also gives me the option to switch to another airline if for some reason my gifts to myself don't result in credits.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:51 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Datapoint: Personal plat, created registry and contributed $200 on 12/27, refund $200 posted on 12/28.

(I was going to do the same for my PRG $100, but forgot to do it before the end of the year, duh!)
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:39 pm

Seems like Platinum credits very fast, but so far, two PRG cards doing it on the same day as two platinums haven't credited yet, but the Plats have...
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Purchased United Gift Registry for Myself. Charge posted and credited in a few days. Still working for 2017. Thanks UA and AMEX..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.