Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:21 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: presario1626
Wiki Link
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 23, 17, 3:48 pm

Renewal coming up too....

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
FYI, I just had a refunded travel bank amount returned to my account after I cancelled a ticket within 24 hours. However, the "maintenance" verbiage is still populating the page.
Oops

Last edited by Ssaasshhaa; Sep 23, 17 at 3:50 pm Reason: Misspelled
Old Sep 23, 17, 3:54 pm

Not work.

Originally Posted by BIZDOCK View Post
Thanks for the update. I have to spend $100 and get it reimbursed before end of the month. Is there any other way to get that? Thanks!
In the same boat. Keep checking but still down. Anyone else figure any work around?
Old Sep 23, 17, 5:36 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ssaasshhaa View Post
...work around?
If you have not had any US expenses reimbursed in 2017, call American Express, explain that your travel pattern has changed, and you wish to choose another eligible airline.
Old Sep 23, 17, 11:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, JPMPB, US/JP Centurion
Gift registry still down. Ridiculous. Need to contribute $25 to keep it from expiring end of this year 18 months.
Old Sep 25, 17, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
If you have not had any US expenses reimbursed in 2017, call American Express, explain that your travel pattern has changed, and you wish to choose another eligible airline.
Thanks for this info, I was able to change my selection to AA.
Old Sep 25, 17, 6:07 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
If I buy a United club membership - would that be reimbursed? I just got the Amex Plat and selected United before looking at this forum (duh) - don't know if I can switch until January....
Old Sep 25, 17, 10:54 pm

How often can you get the $200 reimbursement?

If it says "Select one qualifying airline and then receive up to $200 per calendar year" does that mean if I get a $200 reimbursement by Dec 2017, I can get another January 2018?
Old Sep 26, 17, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by baydude View Post
How often can you get the $200 reimbursement?

If it says "Select one qualifying airline and then receive up to $200 per calendar year" does that mean if I get a $200 reimbursement by Dec 2017, I can get another January 2018?
That's exactly what that means.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Sep 28, 17, 10:19 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Switched to WN by calling.
Old Oct 1, 17, 4:23 pm

Failed Reimbursement

Selected my airline as United.
Created a TravelBank Registry.
Contributed $200 to my gift registry.
Posted on my Amex Plat on 9/4 as Document Type: SPECIAL SERVICE TICKET

Waited 4 weeks with no reimbursement.

Did a LIVE CHAT and asked for reimbursement and was told charge was not eligible. Only baggage fees, change fees, etc are eligible.

What did I do wrong?
Old Oct 1, 17, 5:34 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by virtxxl View Post
... told charge was not eligible....
This is accurate. In most instances the system will automatically reimburse TravelBank contributions, but they are excluded by rule. How soon after selecting UA as your airline did you make the contribution?
Old Oct 1, 17, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia View Post
This is accurate. In most instances the system will automatically reimburse TravelBank contributions, but they are excluded by rule. How soon after selecting UA as your airline did you make the contribution?
Same week for sure. Probably 24 hours later. What are my options?
Old Oct 1, 17, 11:05 pm

Programs: Asiamiles, OZ Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Damn, looks like Amex shutting down another avenue to use the $200 annual reimbursement.
Old Oct 1, 17, 11:25 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold, HHonors Diamond, Orbitz Platinum
But doesn't it usually need to be done in $50-100 increments?
Old Oct 2, 17, 7:07 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by moe8555 View Post
But doesn't it usually need to be done in $50-100 increments?
No. I was reimbursed for a $200 TravelBank deposit.

Sounds as if virtxxl didn't wait long enough after choosing UA as the airline before making the purchase. It's not something one can argue after the fact, either, since it technically isn't reimbursable.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: