Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 27, 17, 12:11 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: vdostoi1
Wiki Link
As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions. By far, the most popular means is to contribute to your Gift Registry. Click HERE to enroll.

As of October 26, 2017 - the United gift registry is not working due to United performing system maintenance. There is no ETA on when this will be resolved if at all

United Airlines no longer sells gift certificates or gift cards.

TravelBank (Gift Registry) funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible. UA codes contributions
to a gift registry as a "special ticket." which Amex in turn reimburses.
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This is better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
    (**You May Reach a Generic Screen and will need to look up your Name once again at this page. Please ensure accuracy if you have a Common Name**)
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as one $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

There are reports that people are having trouble finding their own gift registries after creating one. All you have to do is log into your United account from the UA homepage. Next, click on My Account. There you will see Travel Bank in the second block of info on the left hand side. Directly underneath that is your Gift Registry where you'll find a link "Manage Gift Registry." Click on that and you will be able to do whatever you want from using the funds for a ticket to adding more money, etc.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?
Apparently not.
Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?
Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." Meanwhile, there are no recent reports of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed. Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 25, 17, 12:54 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Does E to FC count? Noticed someone say in Jan "17 that it did count but then nothing after.
Old Oct 25, 17, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Gold, AVIS Pres, Hertz Gold Plus
Just checked and Gift Registry still down. That doesn't look very encouraging.
Old Oct 28, 17, 4:07 am

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
Please forgive our delayed reply. Due to a recent increase in customer emails, we have been unable to respond to our customers as quickly as we would like.

United's Gift Registry program is being updated, so the service is currently unavailable. I regret we do not have a target date for its re-introduction at this time. I am sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a future United Airlines flight.
Maybe next year?

Last edited by mia; Oct 28, 17 at 4:48 am Reason: Formatting
Old Oct 28, 17, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by flyerwanabe1 View Post
Maybe next year?
Next year?

Christmas is coming. You would think they would fix it by then. That's what a gift registry is for.
Old Oct 28, 17, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by lbotez View Post
Next year?

Christmas is coming. You would think they would fix it by then. That's what a gift registry is for.
People, People. This is United after all. Introducing Polaris, BE, MP award changes and more is important to them, ready or not. The Gift Registry is way at the end of their priorities; that is if they
have any of those when it's beneficial for their customers..
Old Oct 29, 17, 6:38 pm

Here is proof what I am saying. The old awards chart is already gone at the .bomb, although the new one does not take effect until Nov 1. They are pretty quick when it comes to screwing the customer.
Old Nov 2, 17, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1k
Has anyone reached out to UA about the registry? I asked via Twitter and they said they'd look into it... Will try 1k voice. Need to know if I should be using another airline this year.
Old Nov 2, 17, 1:33 pm

Heard back via Twitter:

..MileagePlus is driving this change, and there is not a timetable at this time.
Old Nov 3, 17, 12:06 pm

1kvoice indicated there was no plans to fix anytime soon. Already bought AA gift cards.
Old Nov 3, 17, 2:11 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
I think the Southwest program still works, I think I may switch to them .
Old Nov 4, 17, 4:26 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, HHonors and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Mediahound View Post
It did when I switched a month ago.
Old Nov 4, 17, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mediahound View Post
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
Is there a thread over at the SW Forum about it? Would like to know how it works?
Old Nov 4, 17, 5:32 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; VS, HH & SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Exleftseat View Post
Is there a thread over at the SW Forum ...
The is a thread here in the American Express forum:

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN/FL (Southwest) only
Old Nov 4, 17, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by mia View Post
The is a thread here in the American Express forum:

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN/FL (Southwest) only
Thanks a million
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
I thought that you only can switch airline once a year in Jan...How did you make the switch? thx

Search this Thread