Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by supergabe
I'm guessing the 'maintenance' has something to do with the launch of the new United TravelBank credit card.
Uch, I'm bummed about this - I just got a PRG card and haven't yet managed to use it on the registry... hope it will come back...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:18 am

Still down. Very frustrating. Just found a great deal on a flight I want to book, went to go add money into my TravelBank, and it's down.

Has anyone tried calling?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by alexperi
Uch, I'm bummed about this - I just got a PRG card and haven't yet managed to use it on the registry... hope it will come back...
I HAVE to spend $100 to get my travel credit. What other ways are there? Anyone?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by BIZDOCK
I HAVE to spend $100 to get my travel credit. What other ways are there? Anyone?
You have until the end of the calendar year. When I called the website support desk they said the functionality should be back in about a week.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
Still down. Very frustrating. Just found a great deal on a flight I want to book, went to go add money into my TravelBank, and it's down.

Has anyone tried calling?
Please let us know what happens when you call.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Please let us know what happens when you call.
When I called the website support desk they said the functionality should be back in about a week.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:49 pm

You have until the end of the calendar year. When I called the website support desk they said the functionality should be back in about a week.
My Personal Platinum renews in a month. I wanted to do the registry and cancel the card since my primary is my Business Platinum.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:41 am

Here's what I got through tech support. I'm not terribly optimistic:

Hello United,

I recently set up an account a United Gift Registry. One gift was added earlier this month, but the site has been down for more than a week.

Is United ending the Gift Registry program? Or do you know when the site will be back up?

Thank you,

mystryda

--------------------------------

Dear mystryda:

Thank you for contacting United.com Web Support.

We’re sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. Please check back at a later date.

Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for using united.com.

Regards,

CSR
United.com Web Support

-----------------------------

Dear CSR,

Thank you for confirming that it's down for maintenance.

It's been down for maintenance for a week already. Do you know when it will be back up?

Thanks,

mystryda

----------------------------

Dear mystryda:

Thank you for contacting united.com Web Support Desk. I apologize for the delay in this response to your e-mail correspondence.

Currently, we do not have a time frame when this will be resolved. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

We appreciate your e-mail and look forward to welcoming you onboard United Airlines.

Regards,

Pernell C.
United.com Web Support Desk
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by mystryda
Here's what I got through tech support. I'm not terribly optimistic:

Hello United,

I recently set up an account a United Gift Registry. One gift was added earlier this month, but the site has been down for more than a week.

Is United ending the Gift Registry program? Or do you know when the site will be back up?

Thank you,

mystryda

--------------------------------

Dear mystryda:

Thank you for contacting United.com Web Support.

We’re sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. Please check back at a later date.

Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for using united.com.

Regards,

CSR
United.com Web Support

-----------------------------

Dear CSR,

Thank you for confirming that it's down for maintenance.

It's been down for maintenance for a week already. Do you know when it will be back up?

Thanks,

mystryda

----------------------------

Dear mystryda:

Thank you for contacting united.com Web Support Desk. I apologize for the delay in this response to your e-mail correspondence.

Currently, we do not have a time frame when this will be resolved. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

We appreciate your e-mail and look forward to welcoming you onboard United Airlines.

Regards,

Pernell C.
United.com Web Support Desk
Thanks for the update. I have to spend $100 and get it reimbursed before end of the month. Is there any other way to get that? Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
FYI, I just had a refunded travel bank amount returned to my account after I cancelled a ticket within 24 hours. However, the "maintenance" verbiage is still populating the page.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: Asiamiles, OZ Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Gift registry page still not working as of now, Sep 18th.
This is getting ridiculous
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by alexperi
I have to spend $100 and cancel my Platinum before it renews
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:35 am

Data point:

I canceled a United award flight (with miles redeposit), and paid the $25 service fee as a Premier Gold member. The $25 cancellation fee was charged to my Amex PRG, but the fee was not automatically reimbursed.

The first couple chats with Amex confirmed that the fee will be automatically post between 2-4 weeks, and that Amex agents can manually post only after the 14-day mark.

After 14 days with no reimbursement, I chatted with Amex again. The agent was able to post the $25 reimbursement manually. Though, I had to explain (very briefly) what that charge was for, i.e. award flight cancellation fee.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:36 pm

Damn, still looks like it's down. Trying to deposit ~$150 of my remaining 2017 credit. I'm assuming they're canceling this program? Haven't read the entire thread but I'm also assuming that I can't just buy a UA GC with my credit?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by texaggie2007
.... assuming that I can't just buy a UA GC with my credit?
UA does not sell gift cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.