Go Back   > > >
    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 8, 17, 5:36 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: eajusa
Wiki Link
As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions. By far, the most popular means is to contribute to your Gift Registry. Click HERE to enroll.

United Airlines no longer sells gift certificates or gift cards.

TravelBank (Gift Registry) funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible. UA codes contributions
to a gift registry as a "special ticket." which Amex in turn reimburses.
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This is better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
    (**You May Reach a Generic Screen and will need to look up your Name once again at this page. Please ensure accuracy if you have a Common Name**)
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as one $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

There are reports that people are having trouble finding their own gift registries after creating one. All you have to do is log into your United account from the UA homepage. Next, click on My Account. There you will see Travel Bank in the second block of info on the left hand side. Directly underneath that is your Gift Registry where you'll find a link "Manage Gift Registry." Click on that and you will be able to do whatever you want from using the funds for a ticket to adding more money, etc.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?
Apparently not.
Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?
Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." Meanwhile, there are no recent reports of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed. Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 29, 17, 12:09 pm   #226
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Diamond - Choice Hotels Platinum - SPG Gold - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Dong View Post
I signed up for United Airlines on my PRG and added $100 to gift registry about 15-30 minutes later. the $100 posted on my account but no credit as of yet (been 5 days). Did I add money to the gift registry too soon after PRG UA signup? Amex still shows I have a $100 credit available on their benefits page. Should I call and ask them?
Any news?
Tony300S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 17, 12:42 am   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300S View Post
Any news?
I chatted with them just now (9 days after transaction posted)

I asked why there wasn't any credit posted yet, he said usually it takes 2-4 weeks. I said a friend had his credit posted after a day or two, and he said "that is physically impossible" and that it takes 2-4 weeks. i know he was full of it but he said rest assured that the credit will be applied within 4 weeks. i took a screenshot saying i will get my credit
Dustin Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 17, 8:32 pm   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by endeavor8 View Post
I have not used Travel Bank before, does anyone know if I gave myself $200 in my registry, can I buy ticket for someone else in my family?
I did two $100, and less than 3 days Amex credit back two $100 items. Pretty fast turn around time.
endeavor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 17, 12:51 pm   #229

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), Former HA Plat (now not), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, GE
Charge $200 to travel bank on 9/5, the day I got the AXP. Charge posted today on AXP site, and so did the $200 in the "Categories" of travel. Is that what where the credit is, or should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks to the helpful users on this thread!

Edit: I just noticed that the $200 shows as owing. Where would I find the credit when it posts?
747FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 17, 2:43 pm   #230
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; VS, HH & SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Charge $200 to travel bank on 9/5, the day I got the AXP....
Did you first select UA as your airline?

The transaction will look the same as any other:

Quote:
01 Sep AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$200.00
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 17, 3:29 pm   #231

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Global Entry Platinum
Quote:
Charge $200 to travel bank on 9/5, the day I got the AXP. Charge posted today on AXP site, and so did the $200 in the "Categories" of travel. Is that what where the credit is, or should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks to the helpful users on this thread!

Edit: I just noticed that the $200 shows as owing. Where would I find the credit when it posts?
My plat reimbursement posted 2-3 days after the charge posted. It's not instantaneous like the CSR. (Relevant question from mia, though, as to whether you selected United prior to making the purchase.)

Last edited by Diplomatico; Sep 7, 17 at 6:28 pm Reason: Typographical error
Diplomatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 17, 3:51 pm   #232

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), Former HA Plat (now not), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, GE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
(Relevant question from mia, though, as to whether you selected United prior to making the question.)
Sure did! Thanks to all the great tutelage available here
Old Sep 8, 17, 4:58 am   #233

Programs: United MP
8/29 - $100 contribution to registry
8/31 - $100 AMEX credit
9/3 - $100 contribution to registry
9/5 - $100 AMEX credit
BCLinBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 17, 9:14 am   #234

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Global Entry Platinum
9/5 - $100 contribution to registry

9/8 - $100 AMEX credit
Diplomatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 17, 12:15 pm   #235

9/5: Actual Contribution date
9/6: Amex's date for Gift Registry contribution of $200 (time difference issue); Posting of $200 charge on AXP
9/7: AXP fee reimbursement of $200

Thanks!

Last edited by 747FC; Sep 8, 17 at 12:22 pm
Old Sep 8, 17, 2:52 pm   #236

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
I've been seeing this message on my United Registry since last night:

Quote:
We’re sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. Please check back at a later date.

Anyone else?
tymothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 17, 4:02 pm   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymothy View Post
I've been seeing this message on my United Registry since last night:

Anyone else?
Yes, but still has some functionality.
Old Sep 9, 17, 10:27 am   #238

Quote:
Yes, but still has some functionality.
Yes, but unable to contribute Hope they don't take this away!
BIZDOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 17, 1:21 am   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZDOCK View Post
Yes, but unable to contribute Hope they don't take this away!
Saw this posted on UA.com:

"We’re sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. Please check back at a later date."
Old Sep 10, 17, 9:45 am   #240

Programs: UA 1K, SPG100
Quote:
Saw this posted on UA.com:

"We’re sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. Please check back at a later date."
I'm guessing the 'maintenance' has something to do with the launch of the new United TravelBank credit card.
Diplomatico likes this.
supergabe is offline   Reply With Quote