Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:09 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by Dustin Dong
I signed up for United Airlines on my PRG and added $100 to gift registry about 15-30 minutes later. the $100 posted on my account but no credit as of yet (been 5 days). Did I add money to the gift registry too soon after PRG UA signup? Amex still shows I have a $100 credit available on their benefits page. Should I call and ask them?
Any news?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Tony300S
Any news?
I chatted with them just now (9 days after transaction posted)

I asked why there wasn't any credit posted yet, he said usually it takes 2-4 weeks. I said a friend had his credit posted after a day or two, and he said "that is physically impossible" and that it takes 2-4 weeks. i know he was full of it but he said rest assured that the credit will be applied within 4 weeks. i took a screenshot saying i will get my credit
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by endeavor8
I have not used Travel Bank before, does anyone know if I gave myself $200 in my registry, can I buy ticket for someone else in my family?
I did two $100, and less than 3 days Amex credit back two $100 items. Pretty fast turn around time.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Charge $200 to travel bank on 9/5, the day I got the AXP. Charge posted today on AXP site, and so did the $200 in the "Categories" of travel. Is that what where the credit is, or should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks to the helpful users on this thread!

Edit: I just noticed that the $200 shows as owing. Where would I find the credit when it posts?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
Charge $200 to travel bank on 9/5, the day I got the AXP....
Did you first select UA as your airline?

The transaction will look the same as any other:

01 Sep AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$200.00
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Charge $200 to travel bank on 9/5, the day I got the AXP. Charge posted today on AXP site, and so did the $200 in the "Categories" of travel. Is that what where the credit is, or should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks to the helpful users on this thread!

Edit: I just noticed that the $200 shows as owing. Where would I find the credit when it posts?
My plat reimbursement posted 2-3 days after the charge posted. It's not instantaneous like the CSR. (Relevant question from mia, though, as to whether you selected United prior to making the purchase.)

Last edited by Diplomatico; Sep 7, 2017 at 6:28 pm Reason: Typographical error
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
(Relevant question from mia, though, as to whether you selected United prior to making the question.)
Sure did! Thanks to all the great tutelage available here
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat.
8/29 - $100 contribution to registry
8/31 - $100 AMEX credit
9/3 - $100 contribution to registry
9/5 - $100 AMEX credit
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
9/5 - $100 contribution to registry

9/8 - $100 AMEX credit
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:15 pm

9/5: Actual Contribution date
9/6: Amex's date for Gift Registry contribution of $200 (time difference issue); Posting of $200 charge on AXP
9/7: AXP fee reimbursement of $200

Thanks!

Last edited by 747FC; Sep 8, 2017 at 12:22 pm
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
I've been seeing this message on my United Registry since last night:

We’re sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. Please check back at a later date.

Anyone else?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by tymothy
I've been seeing this message on my United Registry since last night:

Anyone else?
Yes, but still has some functionality.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:27 am

Yes, but still has some functionality.
Yes, but unable to contribute Hope they don't take this away!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by BIZDOCK
Yes, but unable to contribute Hope they don't take this away!
Saw this posted on UA.com:

"We’re sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. Please check back at a later date."
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Saw this posted on UA.com:

"We’re sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. Please check back at a later date."
I'm guessing the 'maintenance' has something to do with the launch of the new United TravelBank credit card.
Diplomatico likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.