Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Easy and a rip off - is it even technically allowed?

Originally Posted by mia
I have not tried this since AA tweaked their transaction descriptions, but Mileage Multiplier worked year. Not terrific value, but easy.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...multiplier.jsp
I have never done this at check-in as it seems such a rip off, but I never really studied it - buying miles at check in is the least of my concerns. I just looked - $81 for 2500 miles on one booking. That's more than 3c a mile. So a 25000 mile RT is more than $750. I mean who would ever do this in a sane state of mind? Maybe Americans just can't do math any more. I doubt Chinese customers would be fooled into this nonsense. When they started this gig I feel it was half reasonable. No longer it seems. It's like turning $200 of Amex benefit into about $65. Crazy - assuming it even works.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
When they started this gig I feel it was half reasonable.
I always do the mental math and I've never seen a mileage multiplier option from any airline that remotely looked reasonable.

Occasionally US Airways used to directly *sell* miles at a reasonable rate (1.5c or so). I remember buying around $1,000 worth one time when I knew I was going to be immediately emptying my entire account for some R/T tickets to HKG in J and I was pretty sure the seats would be there when the miles hit my account. (They were.)
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:35 pm

well, if enough people get tired of the crappy $200 or $100 reimbursement for the Amex cards, maybe they'll cancel. I'd like to see some better changes to the Amex program. I got rid of my Plat card, which was my favorite for years (used to be able to go in most US Airline lounges). Now you can only go before you board, or if you fly Delta. Well, I hardly fly Delta (though har har, I'm flying on DL tomorrow; but honestly really don't fly them much). $100 on Amex Gold is okay if you want to pay for a coach plus seat or a crappy meal, but really? Not worth much. However, I did just upgrade my Hilton card to an Aspire to get 150,000 Hilton points, so have to deal with $250 airline credit again (though, honestly, got this card for Diamond status and the bonus for Hilton resorts).

Probably gonna get more DL gift cards; though $50 each is like buying 5 of these buggers. I already got a bunch, and hardly fly Delta anywhere. Except tomorrow. NYC here I come.

LOL!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I just upgraded to Aspire yesterday - I’ll charge all the following to the AX and let everybody know what works
Ticket an AA Award trip - taxes $106
Cancel an award trip to Maui - redeposit fee $150-$11 taxes so $139
Transfer some almost expired miles out of my mother’s AA account- maybe around $200
We have a 8 hour layover at AC PHL coming home from EDI - my wife will probably complain about the quality of the free wine and order something expensive from the bar - no idea but I’m guessing $50-$100.

If if you guys think of anything else to try let me know, I’m in the same boat as many of you, free luggage, free seats, free drinks on the plane - hopefully I can hit $250.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Denro
I just took the $100 plunge for my AMEX PRG. The pending charge is the Tulsa address that others reported. I'll report back.
Been two weeks now, like others, the purchase coded as "gift cards", and I didn't get the reimbursement.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:15 pm

Has anyone tried (or is it even possible) to buy a GC at an airport ticket counter or club desk? Perhaps an odd amount?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by kmandrew

We have a 8 hour layover at AC PHL coming home from EDI - my wife will probably complain about the quality of the free wine and order something expensive from the bar - no idea but I’m guessing $50-$100.

I've had good luck with AC drink charges being reimbursed - so far at LGA, DCA, CLT, and MCO.
mctravel1 and akr1970akr like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:30 am

Do we want to start to compile a list of what (aside from GC) incidentals have successfully received reimbursement or not?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:05 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by nall
Do we want to start to compile a list of what (aside from GC) incidentals have successfully received reimbursement or not?
I think that would be quite helpful. For instance I could use up some credit at Admiral's clubs but it appears vague as to whether this would count.
Joe1690 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:04 am

I've gone through this whole thread to try and find non-GC datapoints. Please note that this data is mostly from before the recent change, which means things may have changed, and you shouldn't use this as a bible.

Here are the things that have been pretty consistently reimbursed automatically:

Elite 500-mile Stickers:MCE/Seat Selection:Mileage Multipler:Admirals Club Memberships:Admirals Club Passes:Admirals Club Food/Drinks:And the things that have been pretty consistently NOT reimbursed automatically (although many have been successful at requesting a manual reimbursement):

Baggage:Award Cancellation Fee:Close-In Ticket Fee:Change Fee:Items with fairly YMMV responses:

Award Taxes/Fees:Upgrades:Elite Challenges:And finally, things with only one data point:

Pet Fee:External Reservation Fee:Same Day Flight Change:Five Star Service:(I don't know about anyone else, but I'm actually sort of amused at the list of things that aren't automatically reimbursed.)

In any case, I'll be trying a few of these in the next few weeks and will report my datapoints.
echoch, mia, UAAAPeter and 16 others like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
nall, awesome work. Thanks very much.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by nall
I've gone through this whole thread to try and find non-GC datapoints. Please note that this data is mostly from before the recent change, which means things may have changed, and you shouldn't use this as a bible.

Here are the things that have been pretty consistently reimbursed automatically:

Elite 500-mile Stickers:MCE/Seat Selection:Mileage Multipler:Admirals Club Memberships:Admirals Club Passes:Admirals Club Food/Drinks:And the things that have been pretty consistently NOT reimbursed automatically (although many have been successful at requesting a manual reimbursement):

Baggage:Award Cancellation Fee:Close-In Ticket Fee:Change Fee:Items with fairly YMMV responses:

Award Taxes/Fees:Upgrades:Elite Challenges:And finally, things with only one data point:

Pet Fee:External Reservation Fee:Same Day Flight Change:Five Star Service:(I don't know about anyone else, but I'm actually sort of amused at the list of things that aren't automatically reimbursed.)

In any case, I'll be trying a few of these in the next few weeks and will report my datapoints.
Great job man! Any chance we can get this on the wiki?
drcaioferreira likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I also confirm the mileage multiplier as being reimbursed. You can book a ticket on AA.com with a desired mileage multiplier, cancel the ticket within 24 hours, get the ticket refund and it only keeps the mileage multiplier purchase.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by gbenrus25
Great job man! Any chance we can get this on the wiki?
I've updated the wiki. I removed a lot of the gift card information, but it's still available in the older thread (which is linked). I saved the content of the wiki beforehand if there's anything relevant people feel should be included.
luv2vacay likes this.

Last edited by nall; Jul 4, 2019 at 12:46 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Nall, great list! However, I would remove my data point from the Upgrade category, as that was an "upfare", so it was just the difference in economy vs first fare price at the time. The $50 external reservation fee was also charged since it was initially booked through a 3rd party/travel agency, which you have correctly noted as being reimbursed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.