Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
I looked at my PDF statement from May and my GC purchase came up as "Document Type: GIFT CERTIFICATE" so no reimbursement.

With that said, is the AA status challenge being reimburse?
Just signed up for the challenge. Coded as AA ARC so I assume reimbursement.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:04 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I changed one of my flight dates and used my AX Platinum for the fee and it got coded as "Passenger Ticket", so I didn't get automatically reimbursed. I called in and told them that it was a change fee and they manually reimbursed me. I wised a flight from Dallas to Hong Kong was only $50. LOL
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:22 pm

Bummer. So my gift card purchases on my Platinum Card were also coded as "gift card". I purchased on June 15 and as of June 19 have not been reimbursed. The purchase I made on my Gold card on June 11 did not have the "gift card" coding and was reimbursed on June 14.

All the details and the pending and posted charges were the same, except when I logged onto Amex from my computer, there was an additional description line saying "gift card" on the Platinum. This line was not on my Gold transaction.

The only thing I can think of is I may have been logged in on AA.com when I purchased the gift card on my Gold card, and clicked through the site to get to the gift card side, but I'm not sure why this would factor in. Debating if I want to try again but maybe someone else can comment on the logging in thing first
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:08 am

Update on my AA gift card purchase

Originally Posted by mm93991
Happy to report that earlier this morning (Jun 15) both my Saks $50 credit & my $100 AA credit appeared at essentially the same time! The Saks purchase was executed Jun 12 while the AA gift card purchase was executed Jun 11. The credits seem to indicate (see screen grab belowbelow) that they posted on Jun 14 but neither were visible to me until early Jun 15th on either the Amex desktop site or the Amex mobile app. For those that have asked above, I went to the same desktop website I've used in previous years to buy the virtual AA gift card https://giftcards.aa.com/. I will now purchase another $100 AA gift card to see if I can grab the remaining of my $200 annual incidental credit. I'll report back when this 2nd purchase posts.

Bummed to report that my 2nd purchase of a $100 AA virtual gift card using the exact same desktop website on the exact same laptop I used for the first purchase ended up coding differently and "gift certificate" appeared in the descriptor. Interesting to note that at no point did I ever see the Oklahoma address in the descriptor on either transaction...it was always Ft Worth from pending through executed transaction. My 2nd transaction looked identical to my first during the pending period. When the 2nd purchase actually posted, it added the "gift certificate" descriptor (in addition to a ticket #) and I knew at that point that it was not going to qualify. I've checked my "counter" repeatedly and it still sits at $100 from the first successful experiment detailed 2 msgs above. In summary, the first (successful) $100 AA virtual gift card purchase was made on the morning hours of Jun 11 while the 2nd unsuccessful virtual gift card purchase was made during the morning hours of Jun 15.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I used a SWU for upgrade on AA flight LHR-JFK, with taxes around $120, paid with Amex Plat.
The charge was displayed on my credit card statement as 'Document Type: PASSENGER TICKET'.
After 15 days, I reached out to AMEX cs, they said they would credit the fees back as part of the $200 annual credit.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:46 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by suziemay
Bummer. So my gift card purchases on my Platinum Card were also coded as "gift card". I purchased on June 15 and as of June 19 have not been reimbursed. The purchase I made on my Gold card on June 11 did not have the "gift card" coding and was reimbursed on June 14.

All the details and the pending and posted charges were the same, except when I logged onto Amex from my computer, there was an additional description line saying "gift card" on the Platinum. This line was not on my Gold transaction.

The only thing I can think of is I may have been logged in on AA.com when I purchased the gift card on my Gold card, and clicked through the site to get to the gift card side, but I'm not sure why this would factor in. Debating if I want to try again but maybe someone else can comment on the logging in thing first
I was logged in on June 16 and charged $100 to my Schwab Plat card and no refund.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by abk
I was logged in on June 16 and charged $100 to my Schwab Plat card and no refund.
Thanks for confirming. Guess I was grasping at straws anyway. Well, at least I was able to get $100 of my $300 total travel benefit. Now to figure out what to do with the $200 on the Platinum. Boo.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Award taxes charged to my amex triggered the credit. $50.65 each for 2 pax.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:28 am

Somewhat belated data point, but worthwhile for those wondering about small ticket charges: an $80.30 charge, for the balance of an AA ticket after GC use for the bulk of the ticket cost, in March to my Gold (personal) card did _not_ trigger any airline credit. Document type was "Passenger Ticket".
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: ANA & ROP
I have bought AA Gift card for $100 in late Jan this year and didn't buy another one since I have read from this forum that AA change the quote categories to gift card and didn't trigger the airline credit anymore.
However, On June 8, 2019, I have bought AA airplane ticket from LAX to LAS and paid by AA gift card for $100 which the remaining amount of $54.30 paid by my Amex Platinum (personal).

It is very interesting that today I am login to my account and find that Amex reimbursement the amount of $54.30 as "Amex airline credit" on June 11, 2019 and when I checked the quote categories of my AA spending of $54.30 it classify as "Passenger Ticket" (it mark that I got 5X membership points for airfair purchase too). I am checking the meter of airline credit and found that I am already use $154.30 for this year.

I am not sure that I got lucky or Amex change their policy that member can use airline credit for direct purchase air ticket.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jamebond
..... lucky or Amex change their policy that member can use airline credit for direct purchase air ticket
No policy change. American Express' system cannot reliability distinguish low or partial fares from fees, and has always reimbursed some small transactions that should not qualify.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
You can also get reimbursed for $40 500 mile upgrade "stickers". I extiguished by credit by buying 5 of these one at a time,
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
So what to do with this benefit?

I know this has been covered a ton on times but I am really confused as to what to do for 2019. This deal is no good for gift cards. It's no good for baggage as I get free bags as a life time Platinum. I get nice meals at free lounges before I travel and sometimes free meals in first so I don't want to buy food on the plane. I never pay for upgrades and those don't count, right? They give me nice seats for free. I never take a dog. I just don't get this. I don't see how to use it - it's basically a useless benefit. Am I wrong?

Any advice much appreciated. I feel like I am throwing $200 down the toilet of a 737 MAX.

This is actually kind of stupid. Instead of making me feel good about Amex and AA, it makes me feel it's an enormous con.

Last edited by UAAAPeter; Jun 25, 2019 at 9:04 am Reason: keyboard error
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Originally Posted by cliburn
You can also get reimbursed for $40 500 mile upgrade "stickers". I extiguished by credit by buying 5 of these one at a time,
Oh that's useful input - thanks
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
I know this has been covered a ton on times but I am really confused as to what to do for 2019. This deal is no good for gift cards. It's no good for baggage as I get free bags as a life time Platinum. I get nice meals at free lounges before I travel and sometimes free meals in first so I don't want to buy food on the plane. I never pay for upgrades and those don't count, right? They give me nice seats for free. I never take a dog. I just don't get this. I don't see how to use it - it's basically a useless benefit. Am I wrong?

Any advice much appreciated. I feel like I am throwing $200 down the toilet of a 737 MAX.

This is actually kind of stupid. Instead of making me feel good about Amex and AA, it makes me feel it's an enormous con. zzz
Other than my feeling this is exactly the same boat I’m in. I even considered just buying GC for another airline that I never use to maybe save them for a once off trip 10 years from now.
UAAAPeter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.