Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:42 am

DP: purchased a $50 AA gift card on Feb 8 that coded as gift card and didn't trigger reimbursement. Asked about it over chat, the agent didn't ask any questions but told me that he had initiated a reimbursement and I would see the credit in 5 business days (we'll see if that actually substantiates). I didn't have to claim it was some other fee, just asked about 'an AA charge from Feb 8 that I expected an airline reimbursement from', or something along those lines.

Good luck to others who try this!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by jbb93
DP: purchased a $50 AA gift card on Feb 8 that coded as gift card and didn't trigger reimbursement.
I'm not surprised that this has worked for some people. The agent might not pick up on the GC limitation and think it must be some sort of glitch. Or maybe he/she knows what's up, but you seem nice so here's your statement credit.

Worst case, they say no.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:31 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

So with AA gift cards no longer working with AMEX reimbursement what are the other real alternatives for EXP/CK customers that nearly exclusively flies AA?

I book award tickets 1-2 times a year so that is not even remotely enough to cover $200 and I am considering picking up the Hilton Aspire to replace my Ascend so that is another $250.

Bags are free for me, I barely pay any fees, I get free seating assignments, I get free drinks and free food, etc. I get complimentary upgrades as well. No interest in buying AA lounge day passes.
chitink likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by golfingboy
So with AA gift cards no longer working with AMEX reimbursement what are the other real alternatives for EXP/CK customers that nearly exclusively flies AA?

I book award tickets 1-2 times a year so that is not even remotely enough to cover $200 and I am considering picking up the Hilton Aspire to replace my Ascend so that is another $250.

Bags are free for me, I barely pay any fees, I get free seating assignments, I get free drinks and free food, etc. I get complimentary upgrades as well. No interest in buying AA lounge day passes.
Purchase an annual Admiral's Club membership?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Purchase an annual Admiral's Club membership?
I don't have any interest in AC membership. CLT/ORD are the only two places where an AC would be nice, but with AMEX opening a Centurion lounge in CLT that really only leaves ORD. Not worth the $$$. I got the card as the net fee for me was $350. I buy AA tickets whether I have the AMEX cards or not. I don't buy AC membership, so this would make the card $200 more expensive for me.

The majority of the airports I fly in/out all have reasonable priority pass options or Centurion Lounge. This also doesn't factor in the options available through AA/OW on international trips.

Last edited by golfingboy; Mar 22, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
When you do not fly AA do you (or anyone close) fly Delta or Southwest?Giftcards purchased from both of those carriers are still reliably reimbursed.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by mia
When you do not fly AA do you (or anyone close) fly Delta or Southwest?Giftcards purchased from both of those carriers are still reliably reimbursed.
I haven't flown on either in 3+ years. I mean yes I could fly DL/WN but there is very little incentive for me to fly them as I get zero benefits. I have never seen DL/WN at a price point out of PIT that I would be willing to fly them over AA.

But this does raise an option to buy the GCs and have someone in my family reimburse me. Among them, they fly WN/DL at least 10+ times a year.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I have not tried this since AA tweaked their transaction descriptions, but Mileage Multiplier worked year. Not terrific value, but easy.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...multiplier.jsp
GTITAN and luv2vacay like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Bought miles on my Platinum and my Gold. Transaction details for both showed "Flight on March 7." No reimbursement so far.
Did you ever get reimbursed?

Any other data points of recent vintage from anyone else?

Thank you.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I haven't flown on either in 3+ years. I mean yes I could fly DL/WN but there is very little incentive for me to fly them as I get zero benefits. I have never seen DL/WN at a price point out of PIT that I would be willing to fly them over AA.

But this does raise an option to buy the GCs and have someone in my family reimburse me. Among them, they fly WN/DL at least 10+ times a year.
Huh. Not sure how it would go if a relative approached me with gift cards and then told me I had to pay for them. Probably not well.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:19 pm

Huh. Not sure how it would go if a relative approached me with gift cards and then told me I had to pay for them. Probably not well.
Your family is different from mine I suppose

What makes you think this is how I approach conversations with my close knit family?

Open and honest communication goes a long way. I don't mean to be snarky here but you were being judgmental.
Diplomatico likes this.

Last edited by golfingboy; Mar 24, 2019 at 4:25 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:50 pm

Your family is different from mine I suppose

What makes you think this is how I approach conversations with my close knit family?

Open and honest communication goes a long way. I don't mean to be snarky here but you were being judgmental.
No offense taken by me and I don't think you were being "snarky", whatever that is. I was being judgmental....still am.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'd say that your family is pedantic over the terminology, then. I think a lot of people would say yes to "Hey would you like a $200 Delta credit for $150?".
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
I'd say that your family is pedantic over the terminology, then. I think a lot of people would say yes to "Hey would you like a $200 Delta credit for $150?".
Then I'd say you apparently missed the point. I regularly give my gift cards to family members. I don't charge my family for things like "free" AMEX gift cards from my Plat benefits.

Cos, let's be honest here, if you're willing to pony up $550 for the privilege of using a credit card you probably can afford to help out a family member without compensation. That's just the way I do things. Apparently you don't and that's just fine if that's what you choose to do. ^
MaxVO likes this.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Mar 24, 2019 at 9:51 pm
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:51 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I switched from AA to DL as of 1/1/19 and got reimbursed for 4 x $50 (Amex Bus Plat) and 5 x $50 (Hilton Aspire) DL GCs.
Question: Did AA change its description of GCs so that they are no longer being reimbursed out of "nastiness" to its customers? If AA kept its "old" description (which was being reimbursed) losing money by doing so?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.