Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by meta99
Any data points for getting an airline change via SM?
I got mine changed to delta via chat.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by K W
I just got off the phone with AMEX and told them this was a pet fee that I've paid for before last year. I bought my $100 GC 2/22 and was not credited. Gentlemen said I will see my credit in 5 business days. I got lucky. Guess will have to purchase lower amounts next time. That seems to be working for others.
Hi there,
It's been five business days since your post. Could you please let us know if the credit for your gift card purchase on February 22 posts or not? If it has or does, that will be the only report of credit posting for GCs purchased after February 6, of any denomination, I believe.

Thanks very much,
saunders111
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:51 pm
xyc

Originally Posted by dhuey
Sorry if this has been covered upthread, but has anyone seen if seat selection fees on an existing reservation get the statement credit? A workaround could be:

1) Buy a refundable ticket.
2) Go into the res and make a seat selection that costs money.
3) Cancel the whole res.

I’m not sure if seat res fees are refundable, and that’s essential information before anyone tries this.
Seat selection fees on an existing reservation should get the statement credit. However, seat selection fees are generally nonrefundable unless you cancel the entire flight within 24 hours of booking or upgrade to a higher cabin: https://www.aa.com/i18n/fragments/me...SeatsTerms.jsp
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by xyc
Seat selection fees on an existing reservation should get the statement credit. However, seat selection fees are generally nonrefundable unless you cancel the entire flight within 24 hours of booking or upgrade to a higher cabin: https://www.aa.com/i18n/fragments/me...SeatsTerms.jsp
Thanks. From the link:

When we'll issue a refund for seats (no request needed)
We'll issue you a refund if:
  • We cancel your flight.
  • You pay to upgrade to First or Business.
  • You pay more for another seat on the same flight (but not if you change to a lower priced or free seat).
--
It seems to me that upgrading an existing refundable reservation in coach to First or Business, then canceling it, would likely to the trick, and with the least amount of hassle. I don't know, but I suspect the upgrade would be coded as an incidental charge, not a ticket purchase.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Amex Hilton Aspire eligibility period

I got the Hilton Aspire late last February and used the $250 incidentals credit buying AA gift cards with no problem in 2018.

Since I was slow in taking care of this for 2019 that option doesn't exist now on the AA gift cards. However in early February I did have to change some AA tickets and incurred the change fees of $200 per ticket for two tickets.
I just was communicating with Amex via chat and they stated that the 2019 $250 allowance is not available until after my initial anniversary date in March of this year. I had understood and the terms seem to say that the allowance is on a calendar year basis. So they are denying me the change fee reimbursment request.

Has anyone else run into this? I have the Platinum but for a number of years and haven't run into this since this is the only new card in a while.

This may be a HUCA situation (or a call). But I did state that my understanding was this was an annual calendar benefit. I checked the current offer and terms and it only references a calendar year.

(Moderator will you please correct title: should be Aspire not Ascend in title.

Last edited by mia; Mar 17, 2019 at 5:10 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by RDUflyer2
I got the Hilton Aspire late last February and used the $250 incidentals credit buying AA gift cards with no problem in 2018.

Since I was slow in taking care of this for 2019 that option doesn't exist now on the AA gift cards. However in early February I did have to change some AA tickets and incurred the change fees of $200 per ticket for two tickets.
I just was communicating with Amex via chat and they stated that the 2019 $250 allowance is not available until after my initial anniversary date in March of this year. I had understood and the terms seem to say that the allowance is on a calendar year basis. So they are denying me the change fee reimbursment request.

Has anyone else run into this? I have the Platinum but for a number of years and haven't run into this since this is the only new card in a while.

This may be a HUCA situation (or a call). But I did state that my understanding was this was an annual calendar benefit. I checked the current offer and terms and it only references a calendar year.

(Moderator will you please correct title: should be Aspire not Ascend in title.
first of all, you should always be calling the plat/cent team for something like this. chat is lower tier and outsourced. everyone thinks chat is "convenient". not when you get useless reps. YMMV. but domestic plat team is solid.

second, how come a legit $200 expense didnt get credited automatically? whats the category details? listed under MISC?

anyway, dont let the stupid chat rep confuse you. the TC can not be any more clear. Aspire has TWO sets of 250 credits. airline is on CALENDAR YEAR. resort on CARD MEMBER YEAR. simple as that. of course i wish both were calendar year. would be super simple.

go HUCA.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Thanks and good advice. I usually use chat and haven't had any issues prior to this. I will call. It was late and easier to pull up the chat. But of course at a price in this case.
The charge was coded as regular airfare since they charged the $200 change fee but there was also an offset from a slightly lower fare. It then shows the itinerary as if it was a ticket purchase. Otherwise it might have been automatically coded as MISC and then taken care of.
I was waiting to see what would happen before calling in.

As always I appreciate the FT community and its advice.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
Sorry if this has been covered upthread, but has anyone seen if seat selection fees on an existing reservation get the statement credit? A workaround could be:

1) Buy a refundable ticket.
2) Go into the res and make a seat selection that costs money.
3) Cancel the whole res.

I’m not sure if seat res fees are refundable, and that’s essential information before anyone tries this.
Seat selection changes in the same class should be credited, can call if they do not do it.

I can confirm they don't credit upgrades to business. I made the argument that they credit baggage, in-flight food and drink, and wifi etc, and I get all of these things by upgrading to business and yet they don't cover that, and it's stupid, but no dice.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
$125 $120, got back $200
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Provided to you as a public service

Originally Posted by mrlemm
i paid for baggage and pet fee on 2/12 but didnt get the airline credit. Noticed it was coded as Gift Card and called up CS, they credited me no questions asked. Also changed my airline designation with no issues. Luck of the draw i guess
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
What were the amounts?

Is everything being coded as Gift Card (and if so, does anyone know why)?
$125 $120, got back $200
mia, TravelLawyer, abk and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:03 am

$125 $120, got back $200
What kind of charges and when were they made?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
What kind of charges and when were they made?
This information is provided in post 1735.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Why is this "public service", are we supposed to read between the lines here?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Post 1735 simply provides the context for 1734 which is an answer to a question that was not quoted. Only mrlemm knows if (a) he really paid for services which were mis-coded as gift card purchases, or if (b) American Express customer service can be persuaded that gift card purchases were something different.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by mia
This information is provided in post 1735.
Thanks. Don't know how I missed that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.