Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: United 1P
Originally Posted by ShrinkTheGlobe
I cancelled an award flight last year and I did not get the credit automatically.

It was coded as Document Type: FREQUENT FLYER FEE/PURCHASE

I called up and was told to wait the full 4 weeks before they could take a look at it. After 4 weeks I called in. Every time I was connected to the Indian call center I was told that award cancellation fees are not an eligible purchase. After finally reaching a US rep they also said it was not eligible but was able to credit me $75 a a gesture of good will. I don't know how everyone else was able to get the full reimbursement.
Thank you so much!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Buying miles

Any recent data points on buying miles on AA.com? Wonder if that will trigger the reimbursement.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:42 pm
K W

Programs: Amex platinum card
Reimbursement for aa GC

I just got off the phone with AMEX and told them this was a pet fee that I've paid for before last year. I bought my $100 GC 2/22 and was not credited. Gentlemen said I will see my credit in 5 business days. I got lucky. Guess will have to purchase lower amounts next time. That seems to be working for others.

Originally Posted by Javier1704

I chatted with Amex and they issued the credit manually.

Switched plat and gold to UA.

Honestly, I dont get why people are cancelling their cards over this. If youre a frequent traveller there are many ways to get this credit back.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Any recent data points on buying miles on AA.com? Wonder if that will trigger the reimbursement.
Bought miles on my Platinum and my Gold. Transaction details for both showed "Flight on March 7." No reimbursement so far.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by K W
I just got off the phone with AMEX and told them this was a pet fee that I've paid for before last year. I bought my $100 GC 2/22 and was not credited. Gentlemen said I will see my credit in 5 business days. I got lucky. Guess will have to purchase lower amounts next time. That seems to be working for others.
I don't recall the amount being the issue. The changed the way AA GCs are displayed as a charge to Amex. I don't see how a lower amount is going to change that.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Red259
I don't recall the amount being the issue. The changed the way AA GCs are displayed as a charge to Amex. I don't see how a lower amount is going to change that.
Upthread, mia explained why a small AA GC charge might change the cc coding. Its only a possibility, though.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
i paid for baggage and pet fee on 2/12 but didnt get the airline credit. Noticed it was coded as Gift Card and called up CS, they credited me no questions asked. Also changed my airline designation with no issues. Luck of the draw i guess
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by mrlemm
i paid for baggage and pet fee on 2/12 but didnt get the airline credit. Noticed it was coded as Gift Card and called up CS, they credited me no questions asked. Also changed my airline designation with no issues. Luck of the draw i guess
What were the amounts?

Is everything being coded as Gift Card (and if so, does anyone know why)?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by mia
It could work because AA does not outsource mileage purchases to a third party. The problem is that buying miles is only cost effective if you buy a large amount, because that is the way AA structures their promotions. A large purchase is less likely to be mistaken for a fee.

This works:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...multiplier.jsp
Has someone confirmed that this works?

Also has anyone confirmed the 500-miles purchases?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Can i use half of the credit to one airline and then request Amex to change the airline?
I need to buy checked in baggage for JetBlue next month but just 30 or 60$ but after that I do not know if i will be flying Jet blue again.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:29 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
Can i use half of the credit to one airline and then request Amex to change the airline?
Improbable. Once you have chosen an airline the terms do not permit changes until January of the next year. In practice, if no expenses have been reimbursed this year a customer service agent may make an exception, but once you have spent some of the allowance the probability of an exception is very low.
rocky_nnc likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Has someone confirmed that this works?

Also has anyone confirmed the 500-miles purchases?
One person did in a DM. "I did 6 upgrades so total charge was $320 and I got a $100 refund from Amex (this was in my gold card)"
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mia
Improbable. Once you have chosen an airline the terms do not permit changes until January of the next year. In practice, if no expenses have been reimbursed this year a customer service agent may make an exception, but once you have spent some of the allowance the probability of an exception is very low.
If anyone can confirm that they've done it, I'd love to know as well. It's very easy to get them to change if you've used none of the allowance.I'm stuck at $100 used of AA on my Aspire, and want to finish up the remaining $150 somehow.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Sorry if this has been covered upthread, but has anyone seen if seat selection fees on an existing reservation get the statement credit? A workaround could be:

1) Buy a refundable ticket.
2) Go into the res and make a seat selection that costs money.
3) Cancel the whole res.

Im not sure if seat res fees are refundable, and thats essential information before anyone tries this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:55 pm

Any data points for getting an airline change via SM?

3/16/19 addendum: Worked quickly via chat on desktop. Thanks.

Last edited by meta99; Mar 16, 2019 at 11:13 am Reason: addendum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.