Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Any data points on AA 500-mile upgrade certificates coding? Either bought online or kiosk?
Likewise Kiosk "buy miles" when checking in?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by mia
Airfare is not reimbursable. You may be able to make a small airfare transaction appear to be a reimbursable fee, but we have no reports specifically for AA.
Reimbursement for small airfare transaction posted yesterday. Ticket was purchased earlier this week.
fotoflyer88, wj2005 and chrisfwm like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by tommy14
Reimbursement for small airfare transaction posted yesterday. Ticket was purchased earlier this week.
‘What was the amount?

TD
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:26 am

excellent! What is the approxi. amount?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by chrisfwm
excellent! What is the approxi. amount?
$25
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
$25
What was that, a flight LGA-EWR?
You are gonna be up for the "fewest miles earned on a flight" award, look into it, there may be more value in that...
mctravel1 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
What was that, a flight LGA-EWR?
You are gonna be up for the "fewest miles earned on a flight" award, look into it, there may be more value in that...
Hahaha, this was remaining balance paid with AMEX after applying AA GCs to airfare purchase
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:35 pm

Hahaha, this was remaining balance paid with AMEX after applying AA GCs to airfare purchase
At least on delta, amount close to 100 seems to be credited in several DP. I was credited for close to 80 remaining balance after applying GC.

If 25 works, somebody should try 100, lol
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Just checked my counter to see if it had moved since a recent purchase wasn’t re-imbursed as the counter often reflects first.

Surprised to see it asking me to select an airline! It said AA a few days ago. Made a purchase Feb 14th, have checked a few times since then due to activity on this thread. Showed AA up until this morning as my selection and AA has been my airline of choice for years.

Wondering if there is an IT glitch? Haven’t called yet nor re-selected AA as my airline of choice.

Heads up to those of you who who may have already decided you want to change your selected airline. Look and see if you have the same glitch.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by chrisfwm
At least on delta, amount close to 100 seems to be credited in several DP. I was credited for close to 80 remaining balance after applying GC.

If 25 works, somebody should try 100, lol
Interesting. Tried a $98 one but that didn't seem to work.

Last edited by mia; Feb 25, 2019 at 8:08 am Reason: Formatting
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: United 1P
Can AA reward fees and reward cancellation fees be reimbursed by AMEX?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
Any data points on AA 500-mile upgrade certificates coding? Either bought online or kiosk?
Likewise Kiosk "buy miles" when checking in?
Purchased 500-mile upgrade certs in mid-Dec 2018 at the airport kiosk and got an AMEX credit a couple of days later. I didn't even expect it but I supposed this is another way to use it as it is indeed a fee. Of course I didn't clear the upgrade window (because does anyone ever nowadays?) but that's another story.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by LuizMiranda
Purchased 500-mile upgrade certs in mid-Dec 2018 at the airport kiosk and got an AMEX credit a couple of days later. I didn't even expect it but I supposed this is another way to use it as it is indeed a fee. Of course I didn't clear the upgrade window (because does anyone ever nowadays?) but that's another story.
thanks! Do you recall how many/amount of charge?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
The Aspire is going downhill fast, you can't get the hotel resort credit posted properly, airline gift cards don't work anymore, Diamond gets no respect or many benefits, lol, what a disaster...Another death by a thousand cuts....We are getting scammed by the banks, the airlines, and the bloggers...time to wake up...
The sky is falling!!!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:25 pm

Just heard the news .. no more AA GC reimbursements??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.