Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Red259
What do you mean you can't get the hotel resort credit posted properly?
Have to call several times, never posts automatically...its a struggle.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
Have to call several times, never posts automatically...its a struggle.
Never had an issue with getting the Aspire credit. I've had the card going on 2 years now and used the credit at 3 different hotels. Always posted 2-4 days after charge posts.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Honors
The Aspire is going downhill fast, you can't get the hotel resort credit posted properly, airline gift cards don't work anymore, Diamond gets no respect or many benefits, lol, what a disaster...Another death by a thousand cuts....We are getting scammed by the banks, the airlines, and the bloggers...time to wake up...
My experience has been very different. Resort credits post very quickly (I think you need to use the right rate as indicated by the wiki) both years, and I don't have problem with gift card yet because I use DL. Sad to see AA go though.

Also, just want to point out that Amex's terms explicitly exclude airline GCs, so you can't really claim "scammed" when they actually enforce their terms. The credit was never intended for GCs, but rather airline incidentals. It was a calculated gamble when you signed up.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rog92
My experience has been very different. Resort credits post very quickly (I think you need to use the right rate as indicated by the wiki) both years, and I don't have problem with gift card yet because I use DL. Sad to see AA go though.

Also, just want to point out that Amex's terms explicitly exclude airline GCs, so you can't really claim "scammed" when they actually enforce their terms. The credit was never intended for GCs, but rather airline incidentals. It was a calculated gamble when you signed up.
I looked at the wiki but just to be clear when it comes to resort credit and you talking about the right rate all you mean is booking directly with hotel and avoiding advance rates at us domestic properties correct? Want to make sure I didn't mess up my recent booking.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I looked at the wiki but just to be clear when it comes to resort credit and you talking about the right rate all you mean is booking directly with hotel and avoiding advance rates at us domestic properties correct? Want to make sure I didn't mess up my recent booking.
For the RESORT credit.....that's my understanding too. I think he is confusing the $100 credit for which you have to book a certain rate code with the resort credit of $250.

Now back to the regularly scheduled broadcasting...discussion of credits on AA.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Just pulled trigger on buying AA gift card without looking over last two weeks of posts.... Ughhh. Luckily only spent $100 and would spend $100 on AA anyway this year (and a lot more) so no great loss if not reimbursed. As others noted was nice perk (albeit not an intended perk) so cannot be upset.

Safe Travels
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Jelly of the month club
Success - the 2 x $100 egift cards I purchased on January 31st finally credited. The original purchase coded as misc taxes/fees.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by GTITAN
Just pulled trigger on buying AA gift card without looking over last two weeks of posts.... Ughhh. Luckily only spent $100 and would spend $100 on AA anyway this year (and a lot more) so no great loss if not reimbursed. As others noted was nice perk (albeit not an intended perk) so cannot be upset.

Safe Travels
Would be curious on your results. Good or bad. Doubt many FTers are currently buying AA gift cards so the DPs are going to pretty low. My hope is this change is only temporary.

TD
GTITAN likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The Aspire is going downhill fast, you can't get the hotel resort credit posted properly, airline gift cards don't work anymore, Diamond gets no respect or many benefits, lol, what a disaster...Another death by a thousand cuts....We are getting scammed by the banks, the airlines, and the bloggers...time to wake up...
To be fair, the issue that Diamond is meaningless long predates the Aspire card. I've been Gold/Diamond with HH since 2000 and the elite benefits at both levels really deteriorated about 5-6 years ago. It now seems humorous that I even bother referring to Gold, given that it is truly meaningless at hotels, but those of us who remember HH of the early 2000's remember that Gold actually meant something - including some substantial upgrades - and Diamond was downright fantastic and led to many exceptional suite upgrades.

Of course, issuing the credit card that comes with close-to-free Diamond only exacerbates the problem.

I'm still keeping my Aspire card for the basic tangibles of Diamond - breakfasts, extra points on paid stays, etc. I hate Amex's definition of airline fees (it's much tighter than Citi's, for example), especially given that frequent travelers don't really pay these fees. Maybe I'll just go ahead and buy a good MCE seat on a route where my odds of getting it as an AA Gold would be low...
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
T....given that frequent travelers don't really pay these fees. ...
This is largely accurate on your primary airline, but less true when we fly on other carriers. Give some thought to choosing a secondary airline for this benefit.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by christianj
For the RESORT credit.....that's my understanding too. I think he is confusing the $100 credit for which you have to book a certain rate code with the resort credit of $250.

Now back to the regularly scheduled broadcasting...discussion of credits on AA.
No I didn't confuse the resort credit with the $100 credit. By "right rate" I simply meant avoid AP rate for US properties.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yup that's exactly what I meant!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:35 pm

Decided to look into the Admirals Club renewal option.

Well the Admirals Club renewal price for a household - so just a spouse/spouse membership - has gone from $875 to $1,200. WOOF!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
Decided to look into the Admirals Club renewal option.

Well the Admirals Club renewal price for a household - so just a spouse/spouse membership - has gone from $875 to $1,200. WOOF!
It is too bad that you can't buy AA daily lounge passes for every airport with AA lounges. I don't want to spend the money on a year long membership which I will not use frequently, but I may be willing to buy some day passes for my occasional AA flights which would help with the airline credit issue.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:44 pm

It is too bad that you can't buy AA daily lounge passes for every airport with AA lounges. I don't want to spend the money on a year long membership which I will not use frequently, but I may be willing to buy some day passes for my occasional AA flights which would help with the airline credit issue.
I agree. We also tend to fly international and use the Priority Pass lounges on the other end.

Originally Posted by Javier1704
Honestly, I don’t get why people are cancelling their cards over this. If you’re a frequent traveller there are many ways to get this credit back.
Completely agree with this as well. Just the FHR benefits alone can help us save multiple times the annual fee. And thats not even including all the other benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.