Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by chrisfwm
Try this and see if it works

1. Find flight ticket, let's say it costs A.
2. Buy gift card worth B, ensure A-B is around 100 or less (amex reimbursement mechanism seems to be number based)
3. Apply the gift card, put the remainder balance on amex and it will then be credited for the amount of A-B.
why would this work. It will show like a regular ticket purchase with a $100 discount (assuming a $100 gift card).
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by beachfan

why would this work. It will show like a regular ticket purchase with a $100 discount (assuming a $100 gift card).
Delta $50 GCs trigger the discount; larger denominations do not. That's why he's asking
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

why would this work.
It will result in a small American Airlines transaction that the system may reimburse automatically without checking the transaction type. This works for Alaska Airlines and there are some reports where it worked on Delta.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:44 am

This would be a bummer. AMEX allows cards from other countries to be directly reimbursed from airline tickets.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

No, it doesn't. On Delta, it shows as an "additional collection" (not as a ticket) and can/does get reimbursed for small denominations. I've had success with under $200 and no success with a much larger amount when applying gift cards to a ticket purchase.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Feb 13, 2019 at 11:02 am Reason: Clarification of which airline
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
No, it doesn't. It shows as an "additional collection" (not as a ticket) and can/does get reimbursed for small denominations. I've had success with under $200 and no success with a much larger amount when applying gift cards to a ticket purchase.
Used GCs to pay $250 and used Platinum to pay $117.52, posted as two separate transactions of $58.76 coded as Airline Ticket (showing itinerary). This looks more like luck than anything else.

Purchased 2 x $100 GCs and 1 $50 GCs on 1/31 (jackpot), not reimbursed yet. Purchase on Platinum on 2/4.

Edit: for got to include dates.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Javier1704
Used GCs to pay $250 and used Platinum to pay $117.52, posted as two separate transactions of $58.76 coded as Airline Ticket (showing itinerary). This looks more like luck than anything else.
Mine was a Delta ticket purchase - should have specified that in my post. (Yes, I know it's the AA thread.)

Edited my original post to clarify the airline in question.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mjgoldstein9
.... AMEX allows cards from other countries to be directly reimbursed from airline tickets.
Benefit terms vary by market because competitive circumstances are different. How is this relevant to American Express USA which has always explicitly excluded tickets and gift cards from reimbursement?
Statman and krazykanuck like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Doctor of Credit has a report that AA gift cards no longer code as miscellaneous taxes, but say gift certificate on the receipt now. So AA g.c. may be kaput for the Amex reimbursement.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by eajusa
Doctor of Credit has a report that AA gift cards no longer code as miscellaneous taxes, but say gift certificate on the receipt now. So AA g.c. may be kaput for the Amex reimbursement.
Saw that and I am glad I wasted no time first week n January, grabbing GC from all three cards.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by miadukes
Saw that and I am glad I wasted no time first week n January, grabbing GC from all three cards.
Same here, sitting on $2000 AA GC
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Possibly, but as mia mentioned, we need to see if smaller GC amounts get coded differently. Maybe someone here can do a test with $75 or even $40.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dhuey
Possibly, but as mia mentioned, we need to see if smaller GC amounts get coded differently. Maybe someone here can do a test with $75 or even $40.
You, of course, can be the data point that you seek. Any particular reason the "someone" can't be you?

Regards
Statman and mhdena like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:40 pm

$50 and $100 are coded as gift certificate
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except that as mia posted upthread, this already happened once before (in 2016), and eventually went back to posting normally (though that time it took months if I understand correctly). So it's not clear yet if this was intended to be a permanent change this time or not, and we may not know for quite a while perhaps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.