Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:28 am

AMEX Hilton Honors Aspire - $250 AA gift card purchased Jan 4. Reimbursed Jan 8.
AMEX Platinum - $200 AA Gift card purchased Jan 2. Reimbursed Jan 6.
AMEX Schwab Platinum - $200 AA gift card purchased Jan 4. Reimbursed Jan 8.
AMEX Ameriprise Platinum - $200 AA gift card purchased Jan 4. Reimbursed Jan 8.
AMEX Gold Card - $100 AA gift card purchased Jan 4. Reimbursed Jan 8.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:32 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Another 2019 DP here...

AMEX Gold Card: $100 AA e-Gift Card Purchased 1/4/19 (Friday Late PM) - Reimbursed 1/8/19 (Wednesday) ^
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:01 pm

Hilton Aspire: chose AA as my airline on 12/30. Thirty minutes later purchased 2x $100 & 1X $50 AA Giftcards on 12/30. No reimbursement yet. My plan was to sell these cards.

Did I not give it enough time between choosing AA and actually buying the giftcards? Did I screw up by buying 3 AA GCs back to back? If I don't get reimbursed, do I have any recourse?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MilesGator
Hilton Aspire: chose AA as my airline on 12/30. Thirty minutes later purchased 2x $100 & 1X $50 AA Giftcards on 12/30. No reimbursement yet. My plan was to sell these cards.

Did I not give it enough time between choosing AA and actually buying the giftcards? Did I screw up by buying 3 AA GCs back to back? If I don't get reimbursed, do I have any recourse?
People have reported in the past not getting the airline credit when purchasing giftcards shortly after switching airlines. I think that is the problem you ran into. Purchasing three giftcards back to back has been done successfully by a number of people, so I'm pretty sure it was the last minute selection of an airline that caused you the problem. Gift cards are not supposed to be covered by the airline credit, so no you don't have any recourse and just need to take the loss and learn from your mistake. You should be able to do it for 2019.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:34 pm

Ok, that really sucks. I figured since choosing the airline was an immediate thing and that the actual GC purchases didn't post until 2-3 days later, that I would be OK (i.e. 2-3 days after choosing AA, the GC purchases posted). I guess I'll just eat this as a loss...but it's compounded by having done the exact same thing on 2 Aspire cards (mine and my wife's). Guess I'm getting a little sloppy in my gaming.

Hopefully I timed my application correctly and I'll be able to get the credit in 2019 and also in Jan 2020 (would've been able to get 3 reimbursements per card if the above reimbursement had gone through). Overall, this card will be plenty valuable but now I'll have to have a larger cash outlay, for a longer period of time, before recouping all my value.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Ugh. Looks like no soup for me! My $100 gc I bought yesterday is now pending, but it say AA ARC, not the usual notation.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Ugh. Looks like no soup for me! My $100 gc I bought yesterday is now pending, but it say AA ARC, not the usual notation.
​​​​​​Nonsense. My GCs have said that in pending and have been reimbursed.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
There are oodles of datapoints of people not getting a credit even for $50 e-gift-cards if they buy them "too soon" after making the airline selection. (In my case, I waited weeks; I just edited my original datapoint post to clarify that. You probably don't need to wait weeks, but you certainly seem to need to wait at least a day or two.)
I made my airline selection AA last week, and did 3x MCE seat purchases on the same day (just over $50 each), and the credit posted a few days later. So you don't necessarily NEED to wait a day or two.

Of course then my travel companion gets given free Platinum status (I'm only Gold) two days ago on a marketing promotion, so if I was just able to predict the future, I wouldn't have had to use the credit on this, as MCE is free for Plat. Ugh.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
....don't necessarily NEED to wait a day or two.

When this benefit was introduced ~2010 American Express stipulated a waiting period after airline selection. I think it was 48 hours. That was removed from the terms. We do have reports of reimbursements with very short intervals between selection and expenditure. We also have failure reports. This inconsistency means there is no way for an individual to know if their selection has been published to all the relevant databases on American Express' network.

I think the prudent course is to wait 48 hours. This does not mean shorter intervals guarantee failure, but the probability of failure is greater. The consequences of failure are usually trivial, except at the end of the calendar year.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:20 pm

Got the Business Platinum last month and managed to get both 2018 and 2019 credits in before my first statement closed.

1/7 Purchased 2 x $100 ecerts (single transaction)

1/8 Purchase posted to account

1/10 $200 statement credit received
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:00 pm

All my purchases over four cards were credited after 4 days. On one account I bought AA cards and immediately afterwards I remembered that SW was the
airline of my choice. So about 10 minuted after purchase I changed my airline on line. Was holding my breath on that one, but in the end it worked out. Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Schwab Platinum AMEX.
Bought two $100 AA gift cards in a single transaction on January 8.
Got $200 statement credit on January 10.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:44 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Purchased $100 Gift card on aa.com on my laptop through the link in the wiki on Jan 7th with my AMEX GOLD CARD.

$100 credit posted Jan 10th as AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement.

Yay!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:10 pm

I just realized Aspire had the $250 incidental credit and am trying to get $250 worth of AA gift cards. Question though, I click the link to enroll in AA, but the link gives me a "None of your benefits require the selection of a qualifying airline." Why is this???? Have I missed some deadline to pick the airline? Also, then can I not get the gift cards? I have had a Gold for some time now and that's enrolled in Delta...so does that mean then that I can use my Aspire credit on Delta instead? Was really trying to stock up on AA.... Please advise someone
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Pretty much the same data points as above. Purchased them all on the same day and got reimbursed 4 days later.

AMEX Hilton Honors Aspire - $250 AA gift card purchased Jan 5. Reimbursed Jan 9.
AMEX Platinum - $200 AA Gift card purchased Jan 5. Reimbursed Jan 9.
AMEX Gold Card - $100 AA Gift card purchased Jan 5. Reimbursed Jan 9.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.