Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by thefirst
i'm in a similar boat, but not as tight of a schedule as you:
Schwab platinum af posted 12/9/18
$200 sw gc purchase posted 1/1/19
hoping to see the $200 credit soon before i cancel on the 1/8/19
amex doesn't post credits on the weekends. Banks are closed!!!
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
Agreed. The blogs are usually the reason most deals die. Sure some people research FT and learn these things or go on reddit or whatever, but the blogs blast it out there to a much larger audience who probably are not going to go digging for all the details. The end result is many many more people taking advantage and when a large number of people take advantage that us when Amex takes action because the cost to them becomes too much. Nothing wrong with sharing information but blogs just spoon feed lazy people in the name of clicks.
Maybe Amex surely knows about their unfix GC error, however this error is the main reason I keep the Plat. $200 credit/$200 Uber credit, effectively makes my Plat $150 a year. I only use the Plat for lounges, and I don't mind paying $150 a year for it, I just don't think I could justify keeping it for $350/year (if the GC error goes away).
So not sure how many people are in my boat, but it may be a good thing for Amex.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This error has existed since 2010. The same error works with DL and WN. I do not think there is any reason to think that American Express is unaware.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Don’t you think that Amex don’t know about FlyerTalk Forums when they gather data for their marketing strategies and products development?

FlyerTalk is not in the Dark Web. If you doba Google search for American Express Membership Rewards this is the 3rd website that shows up.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
Because even though GCs work, it is an unfixed error on Amex's part, as they are not meant to, per their T&C's. Thus calling them risks raising the profile of this loophole more than necessary (though one could.make an argument that the endless blogging about it has undoubtedly made Amex aware already)
I'm not sure if it's an "unfixed error". It may instead by an "unfixable error". In other words, if AA is not providing them any information to be able to tell apart a gift card purchase from an allowed "incidental" purchase of the exact same amount, how are they supposed to know for sure whether it was a gift card or not?

Ie, it could be that they need cooperation from AA to be able to close this loophole completely.

Though why AA works for any amount up to the credit while DL works but only for $50 or smaller e-gift-cards, that's the part don't understand. Does DL show that it's a gift card if you buy more than $50 at a time?

Originally Posted by mia
This error has existed since 2010. The same error works with DL and WN. I do not think there is any reason to think that American Express is unaware.
But it's different. At AA you can apparently get the credit for any amount of gift card. At DLfor some reason it's doesn't work with gift cards greater than $50 each. Why is it that Amex can block gift cards above $50 with DL but can't block gift cards of any amount with AA?

I've never tried buying gift cards above $50 from DL online and thus I don't know if something comes across that identifies that, or if it's just because Amex and DL have a tight relationship and so DL provides extra data to them that AA doesn't?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:23 pm

1/4 purchased 1x 100 GC (Amex Rose Gold)
1/5 posted
1/8 credited 1x 100 GC
SuperKirby likes this.

Last edited by LukeIronWall; Jan 10, 2019 at 2:50 pm Reason: updating
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:04 pm

(Amex personal Platinum) Purchased two $100 GC's on 01/01. Transactions were posted on 01/03. Still awaiting Airline Credit.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
So $200 is pretty much a safe bet to get reimbursed on a plat with AA. Do we have a firm consensus yet on the 250 with Aspire? Also, some people have had issues in the past with doing it too soon after selecting an airline. If I just leave my airline as AA from last year I shouldn't bother waiting until later Jan to try this since I am just keeping the same airline from last year right?
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Thefirst
I'm in a similar boat, but not as tight of a schedule as you:
Schwab Platinum AF posted 12/9/18
$200 SW GC purchase posted 1/1/19
Hoping to see the $200 credit soon before I cancel on the 1/8/19
Check with your card benefit page first. If the $200 credit meter said gone, then the credit would be posted within 2 days.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
1/1/2019 Selected AA as airline choice (changed from different 2018 airline)
received email
1/1/2019 bought AA 2x$100 GC in one transaction
1/4 Purchase posted

no credit yet, and Benefit meter still shows $200 (not liking that)

UPDATE:
1/5 Credit Posted.
SuperKirby likes this.

Last edited by thegingerman; Jan 6, 2019 at 8:45 pm Reason: credit posted on Jan. 5 after this post
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Have the Aspire and bought my three AA cards yesterday: $100, $100 and $50. Will post results. Was successful last year and remaining optimistic.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Red259
So $200 is pretty much a safe bet to get reimbursed on a plat with AA. Do we have a firm consensus yet on the 250 with Aspire? Also, some people have had issues in the past with doing it too soon after selecting an airline. If I just leave my airline as AA from last year I shouldn't bother waiting until later Jan to try this since I am just keeping the same airline from last year right?
HH aspire 250 seems to be YMMV but def a few successful DPs.

if you use the same airline from 2018, you dont need to select again and you will be fine.

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Have the Aspire and bought my three AA cards yesterday: $100, $100 and $50. Will post results. Was successful last year and remaining optimistic.
youre fine.

Originally Posted by thegingerman
received email
1/4 Purchase posted

youre fine. wait until 1/9 to get worried.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:27 am

Applied and approved for Hilton aspire card on 12/30... immediately called Amex to assign AA airlines. I received the confirmation email. Then a few mins later used temporary card and purchased 2x$100 gift card and $50 gift card. Per phone automated operator (cant see the transactions online since I haven’t received the card in the mail), the purchase was posted on 12/31. Still haven’t received a credit. Should I be worried?
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: AA 1MM GO, SW A-List
Originally Posted by thegingerman
received email
1/4 Purchase posted

Last year I did selection and purchase same day and still have not credited (almost 4 weeks). Benefit meter still showed full till the end of the year. AmEx Plt. 2x$100

Then on the AmEx Gold Card I made the airline selection and waited a day to make the purchase and got credited within a week (last week in Dec). 1x$100

Moving forward seems it’s best to give it a day after the airline selection just to be safe before doing the purchase.

SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:57 am
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by EC2019
Applied and approved for Hilton aspire card on 12/30... immediately called Amex to assign AA airlines. I received the confirmation email. Then a few mins later used temporary card and purchased 2x$100 gift card and $50 gift card. Per phone automated operator (cant see the transactions online since I haven’t received the card in the mail), the purchase was posted on 12/31. Still haven’t received a credit. Should I be worried?
I changed the airline choice to AA on Dec 24, then used my Hilton Aspire on Dec 26,27,28 for $100,$100,$50, and got the credit back 2-3 days later.
SuperKirby likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.