Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:55 pm

If I make the purchase on December 31st, will it count for 2018 or 2019? I can't find a definitive answer on this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by lsquare
I didn't know. I assumed that there would be a limit of 1-2. If I can't get anything done with 8 cards, can I still call to consolidate so that I'll have enough to buy airfare?

Thx Christian!
The Wiki at the beginning of the tread is your friend! Max of 8 cards is listed in the terms section of the Wiki. If you can’t pay for a ticket with 8 cards then you have to pay the rest with a credit or debit card. Further cards will need to be used for other tickets.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by canyoncar
If I make the purchase on December 31st, will it count for 2018 or 2019? I can't find a definitive answer on this.
the absolute definitive answer on that is "better safe than sorry". period. make sure your stuff posts before 31st.
i know this using other amex promos and offers as a basis. meaning post date before the deadline is key. not the purchase date.

great example is amex gold grubhub. if it doesnt post before the month end, it uses the next month credit. post date is key.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
the absolute definitive answer on that is "better safe than sorry". period. make sure your stuff posts before 31st.
i know this using other amex promos and offers as a basis. meaning post date before the deadline is key. not the purchase date.

great example is amex gold grubhub. if it doesnt post before the month end, it uses the next month credit. post date is key.
That's too bad. I was planning on applying today, but I'm guessing that the card would not arrive until Monday.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:20 pm

That's too bad. I was planning on applying today, but I'm guessing that the card would not arrive until Monday.
i mean, youre cutting it super close and ur really late but if you get instant approval and get the temp CC info immediately then you can make the purchase ASAP and still get credit even before your card arrives. ask for expedited overnight. maybe they will give it to you. it depends on a lot tho.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
If you apply online you can get the CC number and make the purchases. I made the mistake of just applying over the phone and have to wait until Friday to receive my card... which I probably won’t make the extra $250...

Such is life.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:05 pm

Why wait? Purchase now.

But to answer your question, if the charge posts on the 31st it will count for 2018. All my purchases took 24-48 hours to move from pending to posted. But the post date was the day of purchase.

Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:14 pm

if you get instant approval and get the temp CC info immediately then you can make the purchase ASAP and still get credit even before your card arrives. ask for expedited overnight. maybe they will give it to you. it depends on a lot tho.
I did this. It works. You just need to call and make sure the new temp card has AA selected for you airline BEFORE you purchase. The permanent card will have the same number (different expiration and security code). When you get the card add to your account and you will see the charges and credits, if there has been 3 days since the purchase.

Odd DP. My temp card automatically had AA selected, my wife’s did not. We both had AA selected for our other cards. Not sure why one “auto-selected” and the other did not?

Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Late, but just adding data points

$100 - 12/16/18 - Reimbursed - 12/19/18
$100 - 12/22/18 - Reimbursed - 12/25/18
$50 - 12/16/18 - Reimbursed - 12/19/18
$50 - 12/22/18 - Reimbursed - 12/25/18
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I did this. It works. You just need to call and make sure the new temp card has AA selected for you airline BEFORE you purchase. The permanent card will have the same number (different expiration and security code). When you get the card add to your account and you will see the charges and credits, if there has been 3 days since the purchase.

Odd DP. My temp card automatically had AA selected, my wife’s did not. We both had AA selected for our other cards. Not sure why one “auto-selected” and the other did not?
very nice. appreciate the DP. its def one of many cool tricks with amex. also, everytime i see your name, i wanna call you Time Traveler Dave. dont know why.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

i mean, youre cutting it super close and ur really late but if you get instant approval and get the temp CC info immediately then you can make the purchase ASAP and still get credit even before your card arrives. ask for expedited overnight. maybe they will give it to you. it depends on a lot tho.
I can only speak for the GOLD card but I was told by AMEX CS that I had to have the card in hand before I could pick the airline I wanted to apply the $100 credit to! It was NOT possible to add the airline with just the temporary card and the temporary CID.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:00 am

Aspire datapoint:

- 12/24- purchased AA egift cards in the amounts of $100, $100 and $50
- 12/26- reimbursed for all three
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:38 am

For Amex Gold
12/24 - Selected airline, received email confirmation, then purchased $50 gc
12/26 - Reimbursed
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:46 pm
soy

Programs: various
Used 200 for AA award redeposit fees, had to call up, but otherwise fairly simple
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:37 pm

12/25 : Bought 2 100$ AA GC
12/27: Reimbursed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.