Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Silver
6/5 - 2 AA eCerts for $100 each
1 coded as Miscellaneous Tax(s)/Fee(s) and 1 as Frequent Flyer Fee/Purchase
6/8 - 1 $100 reimbursement.

Are there any hopes of me getting the second reimbursement? Can I ask AmEx About this and tell them I bought something else?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by earn_burn
6/5 - 2 AA eCerts for $100 each
1 coded as Miscellaneous Tax(s)/Fee(s) and 1 as Frequent Flyer Fee/Purchase
6/8 - 1 $100 reimbursement.

Are there any hopes of me getting the second reimbursement? Can I ask AmEx About this and tell them I bought something else?
Are you able to tell which one was reimbursed? I just purchased 2 AA eCerts for $100 each and both were coded as Miscellaneous Tax(s)/Fee(s).
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Silver
I think the miscellaneous taxes and fees is the one you want based on other data points.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:47 pm

Bought two $100 AA eCerts which were coded as Miscellaneous Tax(s)/Fee(s) on 6/10.

Reimbursed on 6/13.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What causes an AA GC to get coded as a Frequent Flyer Fee?

Yesterday, I clicked on the offer to upgrade my Ascend to Aspire for 100,000 points. Today, my account was fully enabled as an Aspire account and I've selected AA as my airline for reimbursement. I'll probably book my next AA flight sometime next week, so I wanted to get my GC's bought...but don't want to do it the "wrong" way. It seems like $100 + $100 + $50 is the way to go, but getting them coded as a Frequent Flyer Fee sounds like it could impact the reimbursement (?).
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:53 am

I bought a 100 gift card on June 6 and still no credit. Should I chat with Amex online and ask?
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by trikotret
I bought a 100 gift card on June 6 and still no credit. Should I chat with Amex online and ask?
You: "Hi, Customer Rep. I didn't get reimbursed for the gift card I bought from American Airlines on 6 June."

Customer Rep: "Gift cards are not reimbursable as incidental expenses for the purposes of the airline credit."
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
You: "Hi, Customer Rep. I didn't get reimbursed for the gift card I bought from American Airlines on 6 June."

Customer Rep: "Gift cards are not reimbursable as incidental expenses for the purposes of the airline credit."
They don't know it's a gift card. I can tell them it's airline fee for changes to a ticket. I did buy a ticket a few weeks ago but on a different card

Last edited by trikotret; Jun 16, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by trikotret
They don't know it's a gift card.
Actually, they do. However, the way AA's system codes gift card purchases makes these charges difficult to filter automatically as being ineligible for reimbursement. Expect resistance if you call to seek a manual reimbursement.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Actually, they do. However, the way AA's system codes gift card purchases makes these charges difficult to filter automatically as being ineligible for reimbursement. Expect resistance if you call to seek a manual reimbursement.
My charge shows tax and fees. I might just wait another week
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by pinniped
What causes an AA GC to get coded as a Frequent Flyer Fee?

Yesterday, I clicked on the offer to upgrade my Ascend to Aspire for 100,000 points. Today, my account was fully enabled as an Aspire account and I've selected AA as my airline for reimbursement. I'll probably book my next AA flight sometime next week, so I wanted to get my GC's bought...but don't want to do it the "wrong" way. It seems like $100 + $100 + $50 is the way to go, but getting them coded as a Frequent Flyer Fee sounds like it could impact the reimbursement (?).
I staggered 3 $100 gift card purchase over a week. All were coded as "MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)". I received credits of $100, $100 & $50 which posted 3-4 days after purchase.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by txpenny
I staggered 3 $100 gift card purchase over a week. All were coded as "MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)". I received credits of $100, $100 & $50 which posted 3-4 days after purchase.

Cool...thanks for the tip. That's probably what I will do.

It's silly that Amex requires us to play this game. The Citi Prestige card simply reimburses $250 of travel per year - could be as simple as a single airline ticket. Given the type of travelers likely to have an Aspire card, we don't pay many incidental airline fees since most things covered are also covered by elite status.
txpenny likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
6/14 $100 AA GC purchased
6/18 $100 Reimbursed
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:19 pm

Ugh. Mine is showing as "Travel - Airline". I'll buy a ticket with it in 3 days and fly in 2 weeks so I guess no real loss, but I know that won't get reimbursed.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Ugh. Mine is showing as "Travel - Airline". ...
That's the Category. What is the Document Type?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.