Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm sorry, but while your self-interest might prefer I take that approach, it doesn't sound like very good advice to someone's who's out $100. I will certainly try something to recoup the $100 loss if the credit doesn't show up this month.
As others have mentioned, you've lost nothing. Calling and arguing for credit on something that is clearly forbidden in the T&C's is not in your best interest either. Will you never try to redeem another AMEX airline credit for a gift card again? Why would you want to put "eyes on the target" for what is clearly a loophole that is working in your - and everyone else's - favor? (Current circumstance excepted.) Pretty short-sighted.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....All have gone smoothly except my wife's second $100 AA gift card purchased on December 26....
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
As others have mentioned, you've lost nothing. ...
The gift card is worth the $100 paid, but what has been lost is $100 of the 2017 Airline Fee Reimbursement benefit. There is no further opportunity to use last year's benefit. There's no harm in calling, American Express knows perfectly well that they are reimbursing giftcards.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by AutoModerator
Purchased 2 $50 gift cards and 1 $100 gift card today. Still pending, hopefully this will work out.
1/4 Purchased 2 $50 gift cards and 1 $100 gift card
1/6 Airline fee credited!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
The gift card is worth the $100 paid, but what has been lost is $100 of the 2017 Airline Fee Reimbursement benefit. There is no further opportunity to use last year's benefit. There's no harm in calling, American Express knows perfectly well that they are reimbursing giftcards.
Sorry but how would you know exactly?

Last edited by ChuckMango; Jan 6, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Does seat selection fee count towards the $200 credit or would I be better off buying GCs?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:32 am

Thanks to all your knowledge I like to report that I was able to get reimbursed for the gift cards.One thing I like to know is given that I already claim my 2018 when should I expect to be able to do this again ? I applied in Aug of 2017.I also like to note that just to be on the safe side I switch my home address since I reside in Jersey. In addition to this My family was traveling on the dates I purchase this gift card via the same airline I choose and last but not least can I now switch my preferred airline ? I normally use aeromexico so would it be wise or have any adventages?DEC20 AMERICAN AIRLINES 45107425 - 800-433-7300, TX = x(2) $100 each separate transactions on the same dayDEC22AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement = x(2)

JAN2

AMERICAN AIRLINES 45107425 - 800-433-7300, TX =x(2) $100 each separate transactions on the same dayJAN4AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement=x(2)
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mia
Perhaps "no harm" (perhaps not) but it's futility defined - unless you have some evidence of cardholders who have called AMEX and successfully argued that AMEX should reimburse a gift card purchase? I've not seen that recorded here or elsewhere.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
How stupid must one be to call in saying a gift card wasn't reimbursed and everyone else is getting them reimbursed? Shouldn't you say something like it's a baggage fee or something prepaid online?
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: Free Agent
I'm sorry, but while your self-interest might prefer I take that approach, it doesn't sound like very good advice to someone's who's out $100. I will certainly try something to recoup the $100 loss if the credit doesn't show up this month.
Originally Posted by mhdena
That's what the person did with AS last June or so, ending the reimbursements with them.
S/he called and said everyone else is getting the reimbursement.
@iahphx
Interesting that your response to my logic regarding contacting Amex being unlikely to gain anything is to accuse me of self interest without any countering logic. As you may have discerned from the many replies to your intent, it's actually in everyone's interest to avoid further Amex review of this method, and you are the one being self-interested to not even your own benefit, unless you have any data points that suggest contacting Amex will lead to them reimbursing a GC. mhdena's point regarding the AS experience is possibly a data point that indicates the opposite to everyone else's detriment, although I haven't gone through the AS thread yet.

Oh well. Facts & minds:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ange-our-minds
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:09 am
Suspended

Normally fly up front so baggage fees, meals, etc. are never an issue. Anyways, got an email that my $200 was going to expire at the end of the year so when i checked in on a recent flight I opted to buy X number of bones miles for a little more than $200 just to see what would happen. Well, I just saw the $200 credit on my business plat statement.

margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Platinum Charge Card
1/3 - purchased 2 x $100 gift cards
1/5 - 2 x $100 reimbursements posted
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:41 pm

that is how these deals dead....

FIRST RULE, NO CALL...
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
1/4: Purchased 2x $100
1/6: 2x $100 reimbursements posted
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Yeah, I recall last year's weirdness. Fortunately, my wife's card is new, so it's not like I need to cancel it this month. It's obviously disconcerting though that January reimbursements are being processed, but this Dec. 26th one looks lost. I would think that if the credit is not posted in the next 10 days, I should do something. What's the best way to nudge AMEX on this stuff?
Your wife got a seat upgrade or something, and you see it's posted, but there doesn't seem to have been the typical statement credit. You are just belatedly following up on her behalf.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:31 pm

Amerprise Plat:
2x100 eGC
Purchased on 01/3
Credits posted on 01/05.

PS: I have $75 airline credit left on my Amex PRG. Does 1 x 75 trigger the Credit? Any DP's on it?

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.