Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:04 pm
esf

Not receiving gift card email

I bought two $100 AA eGCs about 5 hours ago. I have not received any of the gift card emails yet. Previously I always received the email within a few minutes, if not immediately. I have not even received the order confirmation emails! I tried resending the gift cards, and resending page seems to be able to find the purchased gift cards using the email address and confirms that emails have been resent, yet again there is no email in my mailbox. I am using a gmail account. Any idea what's going on?

Last edited by esf; Oct 16, 2017 at 11:50 pm
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:34 pm

Same here, bought 50, nothing in the email yet, probably a system glitch they are fixing.

Originally Posted by esf
I bought two $100 AA eGCs about 5 hours ago. I have not received any of the gift card emails yet. Previously I always received the email within a few minutes, if not immediately. I have not even received the order confirmation email! I tried resending the gift cards, and resending page seem to be able to find the purchased gift cards using the email address and confirms that emails have been resent, yet there is no email in my mailbox. I am using a gmail account. Any idea what's going on?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:23 pm
esf

Originally Posted by esf
I bought two $100 AA eGCs about 5 hours ago. I have not received any of the gift card emails yet. Previously I always received the email within a few minutes, if not immediately. I have not even received the order confirmation emails! I tried resending the gift cards, and resending page seems to be able to find the purchased gift cards using the email address and confirms that emails have been resent, yet again there is no email in my mailbox. I am using a gmail account. Any idea what's going on?
I called, and they confirmed there has been a glitch in email sending system the day I bought eGCs. They resent the emails, and I received them, finally.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by esf
I called, and they confirmed there has been a glitch in email sending system the day I bought eGCs. They resent the emails, and I received them, finally.
did you manage to get the reimbursement? i bought a $100 GC earlier in the month but haven't receive an reimbursement. not sure if i should give them a call. per amex website - states up to 2-4 weeks to receive the credit but it seeems most of the members have been receiving the credit in few days.

i selected my airline thru phone. i am an additional user not the primary cardholder. wondering if that matters?

anyone else having problems recently?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:25 pm
esf

Originally Posted by bundybundy
did you manage to get the reimbursement? i bought a $100 GC earlier in the month but haven't receive an reimbursement. not sure if i should give them a call. per amex website - states up to 2-4 weeks to receive the credit but it seeems most of the members have been receiving the credit in few days.

i selected my airline thru phone. i am an additional user not the primary cardholder. wondering if that matters?

anyone else having problems recently?
Additional users don't get an additional $200 reimbursement. Yet if the primary user has not used his/her $200 incidental fee credit, then a fee charged using an AU card should be reimbursed from that credit.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:47 am

Yeah I called too and they sent me the GCs, now the system is fixed and I bought another 2 they all arrived instantly.

Have you received the statement credits for your GCs?

Originally Posted by esf
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:23 am
esf

Originally Posted by Yu Zhong
Have you received the statement credits for your GCs?
I received for both.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by esf
Additional users don't get an additional $200 reimbursement. Yet if the primary user has not used his/her $200 incidental fee credit, then a fee charged using an AU card should be reimbursed from that credit.
thanks ESF. Nope the primary card holder hasn't purchase or use any credit yet.

Weird I haven't received anything yet. Ive only purchase 1 $100 egc from AA.

Have you received $200 for both $100 purchases? Maybe I can try using the primary card...
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:41 am

I bought $50 AA GC and got reimbursed after 3 days.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:08 am

Data point:
  • Chatted online with Amex to switch my airline from United, stated reason was that my city was no longer a United hub so I don't use them anymore, but forgot to change my airline. The rep stated it'd take some number of days to take effect, but I ignored that.
  • I purchased 2 $100 AA online gift cards with my Platinum card, in separate transactions on the morning of Friday 10/20/17, a few hours after switching the airline.
  • Gift cards were able to be printed 72 hours later
  • 2 separate $100 Amex airline fee reimbursements on my account are dated 10/23, though I'm pretty sure I didn't see them there the first time I checked the morning of Tuesday 10/24 around 8:15 am, but they were there around 11am. So 2-4 days from purchase 'til reimbursement, including 2 weekend days.
  • There are still 2 AA transactions pending for $1 each that have been there since the original purchase. Edit: 5.5 days after the purchase and the $1 pending charges are no longer there.

Last edited by imnotminkus; Oct 25, 2017 at 8:55 pm Reason: fixed list syntax
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:58 am

ok i received the credit. i am not the primary card holder so i couldnt see the credit. however it went to the primary card holder account.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by imnotminkus
...There are still 2 AA transactions pending for $1 each that have been there since the original purchase.
That's AA validating your card number. Those charges will simply disappear. You will see similar transactions from other merchants when you make online purchases.
imnotminkus likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:05 am

Chose AA on 10/23 through customer service call. 5 mins later I bought $50 AA eGC.

10/25: charge just posted. No reimbursement as of yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Last edited by RookieFlyerz; Oct 25, 2017 at 6:07 am Reason: Elaborating
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:26 am

how did they reflect in your Amex account

Originally Posted by imnotminkus
Data point:
  • Chatted online with Amex to switch my airline from United, stated reason was that my city was no longer a United hub so I don't use them anymore, but forgot to change my airline. The rep stated it'd take some number of days to take effect, but I ignored that.
  • I purchased 2 $100 AA online gift cards with my Platinum card, in separate transactions on the morning of Friday 10/20/17, a few hours after switching the airline.
  • Gift cards were able to be printed 72 hours later
  • 2 separate $100 Amex airline fee reimbursements on my account are dated 10/23, though I'm pretty sure I didn't see them there the first time I checked the morning of Tuesday 10/24 around 8:15 am, but they were there around 11am. So 2-4 days from purchase 'til reimbursement, including 2 weekend days.
  • There are still 2 AA transactions pending for $1 each that have been there since the original purchase. Edit: 5.5 days after the purchase and the $1 pending charges are no longer there.
can you share how it gets coded in Amex account mine coded as travel - airline when I did a $100 aa gift card. like this..[img]webkit-fake-url://78ced25d-10ee-4544-928b-f4e7d1d0bab9/imagepng[/img]
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Mercedes Platinum

bought $75 + $75 + $50 GC posted to Amex 10/16 10/19 10/23
reimbursements posted 10/19 10/22 10/25

But only the two $75 charges have the "5x" icon next to them - I'm gonna call Amex and tell them exactly what they did wrong and that I WANT MY BONUS POINTS (no I'm not)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.