Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I made my airline selection AA last week, and did 3x MCE seat purchases on the same day (just over $50 each), and the credit posted a few days later. So you don't necessarily NEED to wait a day or two.
How do you know that? Did you do the exact time timing fifty or a hundred times, to know that it's reliable?

It could well be that the time you have to wait between when you select the airline and when you make the purchase varies based on who knows what. For example, if Amex only updates some internal thing once a day, if you make the selection before that (undocumented) time and make the purchase after that (undocumented) time, maybe then it generally work, but if you make the selection and the purchase either both before that (undocumented) time or both after that (undocumented) time, maybe then it never works.

As a related example of something else "internal timing" Amex, an Amex agent told me that when I upgraded my account from Ascend to Aspire, I had to wait until the online site showed "Aspire" before I could count on my purchases counting toward the upgrade bonus. If the Aspire showed later that day, later that day would count, but if the Aspire didn't show until the next day, later that day wouldn't count. So apparently Amex does until internal events to determine whether some things "should' or "shouldn't" work "yet". In my upgrade example, there was a display associated with the internal event, but in the airline choice, there doesn't seem to be.

Thus you can't extrapolate from one vague datapoint that you did it "on thee same day" (no specifics about how many minutes or hours you waited, no specifics about what exact time of day in what timezone you did each of those two actions) to assuming that it would work for everyone "on the same day" no matter the timing details.

The thing is, there are plenty of datapoints of it not working "on the same day", so just "on the same day" is definitely not reliably enough. It may or it may not work, but if you want to be sure that it'll work, isn't it better to wait longer (to a point where there no datapoints about it ever having been "too soon")?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 13, 2019 at 7:48 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The e-certs (digital gift cards) come with the card number and the PIN together, once you click on link to retrieve them.
Understood. So I have a digital gift card. Would it behoove me to click on it and "claim" it now (to collect gift card # and PIN or can I just do that in a few months when I'm ready to use it? Is there any difference at all between the two timeframes?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Understood. So I have a digital gift card. Would it behoove me to click on it and "claim" it now (to collect gift card # and PIN or can I just do that in a few months when I'm ready to use it? Is there any difference at all between the two timeframes?
I don't know the answer to that. I usually save the link to a folder within my email account after opening it and saving as PDF to my desktop .
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
no. there is totally no difference. there is no start or end date on the certs so technically, you can pull those certs at any time and never expire. however, you should already know how this game works. nothing works when you want it to. and everything can break at any moment. so you should retrieve your certs ASAP. this is due to risk in system glitches and crap that can always happen if you wait to pull the cards at a critical time.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:29 am

Aspire $250 x1 GC & Platinum $200 x 1 GC

Chose AA last year. Did not change designation this year.

Jan 11 (Friday @ 9p): Purchased one $250 GC with Aspire and one $200 GC with Platinum.

Jan 13 (Sunday, checked around 8pm): Transaction went from pending to posted and benefit meter showed benefit used for the year for both.

Jan 14th (Mon checked at 6am): Credit posted for both.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:44 am

I changed my airline on 1/1/19 from United to AA. Waited until 1/10, then purchased $100 AA gift card. Just got the credit today. So will get the other one.

I always print the actual gift card with the numbers. I have a file folder for these. I try and print them right away so I don't forget about them (and then don't use them). I always use the older ones first. Most of mine are on American. I fly United more, but they the credits are difficult for me to use up these days (since the travel bank has been closed).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Silver (woohoo), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Did a test purchase of a $50 AA GC on 1/3 - received Amex Credit on 1/8. On 1/8 purchased 3 x $50 GCs (but accidentally made the purchase together so they coded as one $150 purchase). Regardless, still received a $150 travel credit today (1/14).

Success!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:20 am

1/10 purchased a singular $200 AA Gift card for personal Platinum card credit
1/14 credit posted

Success!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
As a DP, I recently upfared a ticket from economy to first that was originally purchased through a corporate travel agency. AA has now become pretty stringent on charging a $50 External Reservation Handling Service Fee in addition to the difference in fare. However, on my AMEX statement they posted as separate charges and AMEX has now credited the $50 Service Fee.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by jvel
As a DP, I recently upfared a ticket from economy to first that was originally purchased through a corporate travel agency. AA has now become pretty stringent on charging a $50 External Reservation Handling Service Fee in addition to the difference in fare. However, on my AMEX statement they posted as separate charges and AMEX has now credited the $50 Service Fee.
I think for some people, even their airfare (typically under $100) have been reimbursed as a "fee".
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:13 pm

Purchased $250 AA GC with Hilton Aspire on 1/11 and reimbursed on 1/13.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:50 pm

Credited on 11th. Ordering another let's see how quick it gets done.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
How do you know that? Did you do the exact time timing fifty or a hundred times, to know that it's reliable?
J.H.C. Did I say it was reliable? I said you don't necessarily need to wait a day or two. I did not need to wait. Q.E.D.

It was within an hour. The website does show your selected airline. Mine said "American Airlines and US Airways" (in 2018 it was Delta). Then I bought the MCE seats. Then I got reimbursed. End of story.

If you want to wait 48 hours, be my guest, I'm not stopping you.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:02 am

DP

Purchased 2x 100 GC
Posted on Jan 11
Credit received for both on Jan 13
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Pkroupa
DP

1-4-19: AA selected
1-13-19: 1x$200 eGC purchased
Update
​​​​​​​1-15-19: Posted, meter still shows full

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.