Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
12/24 - Bought $100 AA GC
12/26 - Reimbursed
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
I have done this with my Platinum and my Gold and it worked. I just purchased gift cards with my Aspire using the temporary number and pending transaction shows as "AA ARC". This is different. Any data points on this?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:23 am
mc1

Programs: Marriott AE, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat Pro, United Gold
$100 + $150 AA eGC reimbursed after 5 days on Hilton Aspire.

Originally Posted by Javier1704
I have done this with my Platinum and my Gold and it worked. I just purchased gift cards with my Aspire using the temporary number and pending transaction shows as "AA ARC". This is different. Any data points on this?
that's how it shows up when its pending. when it posts, it'll post something like AA Fort Worth, TX
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by mc1
$100 + $150 AA eGC reimbursed after 5 days on Hilton Aspire.

that's how it shows up when its pending. when it posts, it'll post something like AA Fort Worth, TX
Awesome. Thanks!

I was just curious since it didn’t show like that on my two other cards.

I was able to retrieve my card number online and purchased 2 x $100 AA eGC and 1 x $50 AA eGC yesterday. Hopefully these transactions will post on or before Monday.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Originally Posted by iolairemcfadden
So I just bought two gift cards each under $100 but the total is close to $200. Did I mess up, should they have been different transactions? Personal Platinum card.
The purchase of two gift cards in sub $100 (each) prices in one transaction worked and the credits posted yesterday. The total purchase was something like $176 where each gift card purchase was the same number like $88. The credit came immediately after the charge posted.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:23 am

Awesome. Thanks!

I was just curious since it didn’t show like that on my two other cards.

I was able to retrieve my card number online and purchased 2 x $100 AA eGC and 1 x $50 AA eGC yesterday. Hopefully these transactions will post on or before Monday.
How did you manage to retrieve your card number online if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Amex Gold
$100 purchase on 12/25
$100 reimbursed on 12/27
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Amex Hilton Aspire

Received card 12/21
Bought 2 x $100 gift cards and 1 x $50 gift card on 12/22
$250 reimbursement posted on 12/25
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
the absolute definitive answer on that is "better safe than sorry". period. make sure your stuff posts before 31st.
i know this using other amex promos and offers as a basis. meaning post date before the deadline is key. not the purchase date.

great example is amex gold grubhub. if it doesnt post before the month end, it uses the next month credit. post date is key.
I was able to retrieve my card number online and purchased the eGCs on Thusday, Dec 27. All three transactions posted today, Dec 29.

Does this mean I’m safe? Honestly, I think the credits will post by Monday (based on my previous experiences). But just in case...
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:40 pm

I was able to retrieve my card number online and purchased the eGCs on Thusday, Dec 27. All three transactions posted today, Dec 29.

Does this mean I’m safe? Honestly, I think the credits will post by Monday (based on my previous experiences). But just in case...

youre talking about the HH aspire right? so you just applied and got instant approval with the option to retrieve online temp CC info? nice dude. glad it worked for you. sounds like you had purchased 2 x $100 AA eGC and 1 x $50 AA eGC.

and yes. youre fine. doesnt matter when credits post to your account. meaning, if someone had issues or system glitches which may delay credits like what happened in Nov, the credits would still come from 2018. it will not spill over to 2019 because your qualifying purchase was done in 2018 and the TC is very clear about calendar date. matter of fact, the TCs specifically state your credits may take over 30 days. crazy talk.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Dec 29, 2018 at 7:47 pm
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
youre talking about the HH aspire right? so you just applied and got instant approval with the option to retrieve online temp CC info? nice dude. glad it worked for you. sounds like you had purchased 2 x $100 AA eGC and 1 x $50 AA eGC.

and yes. youre fine. doesnt matter when credits post to your account. meaning, if someone had issues or system glitches which may delay credits like what happened in Nov, the credits would still come from 2018. it will not spill over to 2019 because your qualifying purchase was done in 2018 and the TC is very clear about calendar date. matter of fact, the TCs specifically state your credits may take over 30 days. crazy talk.
Great, thanks!

Yes. So this time was a little different. When I applied for my Gold online I got the CC number and was able to log in and see the number anytime (Account Services -> View Card Number -> Verify Code -> Get your number).

This time I applied over the phone thinking that that would get me ny card faster. I wasn’t able to do this on Wednesday, kept trying every hour or so, and was finally able to do it Thursday night.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:07 pm

AMEX PLATINUM

12/28: Purchased 4x $50 AA gift cards, single $200 transaction.
12/30: No credit yet

Am concerned that AMEX statement shows the transaction as "AA ARC" and "Travel - Airline" in the transaction details. Is this consistent with others' gift card transactions?

Last edited by sadao; Dec 29, 2018 at 10:08 pm Reason: purchase date wrong
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by sadao
AMEX PLATINUM

Am concerned that AMEX statement shows the transaction as "AA ARC" and "Travel - Airline" in the transaction details. Is this consistent with others' gift card transactions?
I'm on the same boat except I brought 100 cuz gold card. I purchased the GCs on the 28th and it hasn't posted yet. We also have the same coding AA ARC
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ilastrider
I'm on the same boat except I brought 100 cuz gold card. I purchased the GCs on the 28th and it hasn't posted yet. We also have the same coding AA ARC
Ok, that's good to hear. Fingers crossed for both of us.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sadao
AMEX PLATINUM

Nah that's how my $200 card coded and I got the credit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.