Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Mitz9060

I noticed on mine when the charges were pending it was the Tulsa address, but when it finally posted it changed to the Fort Worth address. I think you’re fine.
I had AA ARC and yeah it turned into AA and the credit was paid
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by eazymoney
Amex Aspire:
- Selected AA on 12/11 at 10:06 PM
- $75 Virtual GC on 12/11 at 10:15 PM
- Category: Travel - Airline
- Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)

Still no credit... maybe it's because I bought a GC so soon after selecting AA?
I am in the exact same situation as you with respect to my wife's gold card. 2x $50 cards posted on 12/12 and still no credit. Selected AA right before the purchase.

FWIW: I work in IT and strongly suspect you are correct about the purchases possibly being too soon after selecting the airline. It might be that the airline selection data is stored somewhere else and has to propagate/feed to the correct location before the credits will world. It also might be why Amex claims to need 4 weeks before customers can fairly cry foul. I'm afraid we're stuck in limbo until the clock runs out.

And now I'm super skittish about what to do about my new Plat. I need to burn these credits before 1/1. Yikes.

Last edited by Roasty; Dec 19, 2018 at 7:16 pm Reason: more deets
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Roasty
I am in the exact same situation as you with respect to my wife's gold card. 2x $50 cards posted on 12/12 and still no credit. Selected AA right before the purchase.

FWIW: I work in IT and strongly suspect you are correct about the purchases possibly being too soon after selecting the airline. It might be that the airline selection data is stored somewhere else and has to propagate/feed to the correct location before the credits will world. It also might be why Amex claims to need 4 weeks before customers can fairly cry foul. I'm afraid we're stuck in limbo until the clock runs out.

And now I'm super skittish about what to do about my new Plat. I need to burn these credits before 1/1. Yikes.
If you bought them AFTER getting the airline choice conf email you should be fine.

Just chat with them if it doesnt come after the 4 week period, I’m sure they will just manually push it through to keep a customer happy if worst comes to worst.

For your plat I still say go for it, I ended up doing a $200 card and almost gave up on it and got credited. From now on $100 x 2 once my credit refreshes on 1/1
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Symbol

If you bought them AFTER getting the airline choice conf email you should be fine.

Just chat with them if it doesnt come after the 4 week period, I’m sure they will just manually push it through to keep a customer happy if worst comes to worst.

For your plat I still say go for it, I ended up doing a $200 card and almost gave up on it and got credited. From now on $100 x 2 once my credit refreshes on 1/1
Thanks for the response.I dunno if it was after receiving the email or not (it was my wife's gold and her email address) but it was definitely after the selection was made. If it goes past 4 weeks, I'll definitely call in. We're new to AmEx so it'll be my first opportunity to test their customer service. So at least my morbid curiosity will be happy?

Regardless, I'll dutifully report my data points.
Jordanlong20 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Roasty
Thanks for the response.I dunno if it was after receiving the email or not (it was my wife's gold and her email address) but it was definitely after the selection was made. If it goes past 4 weeks, I'll definitely call in. We're new to AmEx so it'll be my first opportunity to test their customer service. So at least my morbid curiosity will be happy?

Regardless, I'll dutifully report my data points.
If you do call in, you know not to mention that you purchased gift cards, right?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
If you do call in, you know not to mention that you purchased gift cards, right?
Hah, yes. I am hoping they don't ask, but I'll just say I had some fees to pay for an award booking or something similarly generic. The transaction is coded right... that's all they should really need to know.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nhw3w
$100 Benefit now shows as used for 2018! Expecting credit to show up soon (12/14 purchase date)
Same for me and waiting for the credit - for both my Gold and Platinum cards. Can see the transaction - but no credit applied yet.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mitz9060

Just saw my meter decreased to $200 today, so assuming the $50 credit will post tomorrow.

My timeline:
12/11 - Picked AA and bought $200 GC minutes after selecting my airline
12/16 - Bought $50 GC
12/19 - Meter decreased by $50

I’ll probably buy two $100 GC later today. I’m thinking I bought too soon after I selected an airline so going to give up hope on the $200 one.

If I were to eventually get reimbursed say next year for the $200, would that apply to next years credit?
Reached out to a rep on the online chat just to ask if I were to get reimbursed for my 12/11 charge next year which year would it get credited it for. Didn’t really get an answer for that question, but he did say my reimbursement is processing and should see it within 14 days of the posting date. Also said to follow up on the 25th if I don’t see the credit so they can manually issue it.

I was going to buy a couple more GCs, but this sounds pretty promising. Would also like to note that I made no mention of the charge being for a gift card.

Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:48 pm

Here are my DPs:

For partner's Aspire:
12/3, 10pm - selected airline
12/4, 5am - bought gift cards ($100 and $150)
12/5 - saw meter go down to $0
12/7 - credits posted

For my Aspire:
12/18, midnight - selected airline
12/19, 9am - bought gift cards ($100 and $150)
12/20 - meter still showing $250 available...:/

Will update.
Thunderroad and sdsearch like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by risenmyth
Purchased: Dec 18th, 2018 - 9:58 PM EST
Amount: $100

Doing business as: AA ARC
View Details on Merchant Website
<blahblah>
Category: Travel - Airline
Posted today: Dec 20th, 2018
Waiting for credits.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by spunkyt83
Here are my DPs:

For partner's Aspire:
12/3, 10pm - selected airline
12/4, 5am - bought gift cards ($100 and $150)
12/5 - saw meter go down to $0
12/7 - credits posted

For my Aspire:
12/18, midnight - selected airline
12/19, 9am - bought gift cards ($100 and $150)
12/20 - meter still showing $250 available...:/

Will update.
I very much appreciate these data points, but you might have a problem with the $150 gift card. It seems that cards over $100 are problematic.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I very much appreciate these data points, but you might have a problem with the $150 gift card. It seems that cards over $100 are problematic.
I purchased 200 AA eGC and was reimbursed 3 days after charge got confirmed(total 5 days). I was using credit from my Amex Business Platinum card.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
There are many data points with $200 being reimbursed on Amex PLT and a few $250 on Aspire. I did $200 on Amex PLT myself and received credit a few weeks ago.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:25 am

Purchased: Dec 18th, 2018 - 9:58 PM EST
Amount: $100

View Details on Merchant Website
<blahblah>
Posted today: Dec 20th, 2018
Waiting for credits.
Dec 21st, 2018
Airline Fee Credits meter on Benefits page went down from $179 to $79.
Waiting on credit transaction to be posted soon.

EDIT: Second purchase

Purchased: Dec 21th, 2018 - 9:50 AM EST
Amount: $75

<blahblah>

Last edited by risenmyth; Dec 21, 2018 at 7:52 am
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:05 pm

My Time line - Purchased $100 AA Gift card with PLT on dec 19th, transaction posted on the same day and on expanding the transaction, it says flight details The meter is still at $200, hope I get the credit

Passenger Name:
Date of Departure: 12/19
Ticket Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.