Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 25, 19, 8:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Caution: in early February 2019 American Airlines changed the coding of payment card transactions. Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.

Purchase cards HERE

The American Express terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards from the $200 fee reimbursement benefit:
Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
However, there are numerous reports of successful reimbursements of gift card purchases of $100 face value or less. There are numerous reports of unsuccessful reimbursements of gift cards purchases of more than $100.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2014, click HERE.

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else. Use this link to purchase: http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 18, 18, 5:56 pm

I also in haste purchased one transaction on my Hilton Aspire a $100, $100, and $50 giftcard to myself on November 14th. It posted as one $250 charge - then I read more specifics. I panicked then purchased another $100 giftcard on November 14th and was going to see.

My transaction shows 2 credits on November 16th for $150, and $100. I guess I should have waited to see if the $250 gift card would post fully, but I wanted to hurry up to purchase a flight for my mother in law and you need to wait 3 days before the gift cards are active.

My account shows in the following order

Amex reimbursement fee, Nov 16th, $150 credit
Amex reimbursement fee, Nov 16th, $100 credit
American Airlines, Nov 14th, $100 gift card
American Airlines Nov 14th, $250 gift card

Either way, I'm happy

Originally Posted by glassesjacketshirtman View Post
Details:
1. On Wednesday, November 14th in the evening, I purchased 1x $200 American Airlines virtual gift card with my Amex Platinum on my home laptop computer.
2. It originally appeared on my statement as "AA ARC"
3. It finally appeared on my statement as "AMERICAN AIRLINES 45800-433-7300 TX"
4. It is classified as "Miscellaneous Tax(S)/Fee(S) Flight on November 14 Ticket Number XXXX"
5. It is purchased from as follows:
AA ANCILLARY SALES
4333 AMON CARTER BLVD
FORT WORTH
TX

Reimbursement Process:
1. On Saturday, November 17th, in the morning, on the Amex Platinum Benefits page, it showed that I used up all my $200 Airline Fee Credit for the year of 2018. However, the $200 reimbursement credit still did not post on my account.
2. On Saturday, November 17th, a little before noon, the $200 reimbursement finally posted.

Comments:
1. Indeed, the headline of this thread states that buying gift cards over $100 may not be reimbursed. In my haste to buy this gift card, I overlooked this detail until after the fact...
2. As for my Hilton Aspire card, I might buy 2x gift cards in the denominations of $150 and $100.
3. However, I would be interested in what AFmoneyguy has to say about his 1x $250 gift card American Airlines purchase on his Hilton Aspire.
4. I have tried to quote him below.
5. I made this account today just to give my anecdotal experience, as I felt it might be useful to everyone else in this thread to get more data on those who got reimbursed on AA virtual gift card purchases of > $100.
Abidjan likes this.
Old Nov 19, 18, 9:40 am

Just purchased 1x$200 AA Egift card with business plat. Will update with (hopeful) reimbursement.
Old Nov 19, 18, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by prady View Post
You inspired me and I took a shot with $150 lol... will keep ya'll posted
Confirming that $150 GC has been reimbursed... YAY!
Old Nov 19, 18, 11:20 am

Hilton aspire airline credit- Gift Cards

I'm new to the forum. I just got the hilton aspire cc and see it has a $250 airline incidental charge. Does anyone know if we are still able to purchase airline gift cards, from which airlines, and what is the max amount that we can purchase? ive read that you can use it on AA, delta and SW but the posts are over a year old. Thank you.
Old Nov 19, 18, 11:28 am

Does it matter if the virtual gift card purchase amount (in this case, American Airlines with the AmEx Platinum) goes over the remaining balance of the reimbursement benefit? I spent like eight bucks on an in-flight drink, but I'm planning on buying two $100 AA vouchers and just want to make sure they'll get reimbursed the remaining ~$192 of the perk I have left.

Also, it doesn't matter if it's an authorized user that makes the purchase, right?
Old Nov 19, 18, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat; AS MVP Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; GHA Plat
2 x $100 GC
1 x $50 GC

Purchased one GC per day.
All reimbursed within 6 days at most.
Old Nov 20, 18, 6:10 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by Steelers1 View Post
I'm new to the forum. I just got the hilton aspire cc and see it has a $250 airline incidental charge. Does anyone know if we are still able to purchase airline gift cards, from which airlines, and what is the max amount that we can purchase? ive read that you can use it on AA, delta and SW but the posts are over a year old. Thank you.
I just upgraded to the Aspire so I'm looking at this topic as well but in all honesty....you just answered your own question! Clearly if you reread the threads on the individual airlines you will see that there are recent updates on what is working and what is. Not sure why you say the "posts are over a year old." The most recent update on how it works with AA was posted in this thread approx. 30 minutes before you posted your question. Same holds true for the post the the SW forum and I saved myself the time of checking the DL post as I assume there are recent updates there as well.

Last edited by christianj; Nov 20, 18 at 6:22 am
Old Nov 20, 18, 12:35 pm

Purchased $100 Virtual GC 11/15, received Refund on 11/18
Old Nov 20, 18, 1:45 pm

This was my first time on this site so don't know all of the ins and outs of all of these forums. Happy holidays to you too.
Old Nov 20, 18, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by Steelers1 View Post
This was my first time on this site so don't know all of the ins and outs of all of these forums. Happy holidays to you too.
I wasn't trying to be rude but the details were right there in the last couple of posts previous to yours. If you do go the DL route make sure to follow the instructions listed in that thread since you evidently need to buy GC from the site you can access on a computer and NOT from a mobile device. Good luck in deciding what airline to apply for the credit with and in using the credit.
Old Nov 20, 18, 10:11 pm

I recently got a Amex Plat and also have this $200 credit. I haven't picked which airline to use it on yet since on the surface seems like a waste of a benefit. I did just book a AA flight a few days back. Can anyone confirm this is exactly what to do:

Apply credit fee to AA
Go to link in post to buy AA GC in (2) $100 increments with CC
In a few days this should show as a credit on my account??

Does that sound correct?
Old Nov 20, 18, 11:10 pm

Ameriprise Financial AMEX Platinum $200 Gift Card Reimbursed

I selected AA as my airline on my Ameriprise AMEX Platinum. I purchased a single $200 gift card on 17 Nov. I was reimbursed for a $200 gift card purchased on AA's gift card website on 19 Nov.
dpy940307, lotrbfme and bwgbwg like this.
Old Nov 21, 18, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Chris Steil View Post
I recently got a Amex Plat and also have this $200 credit. I haven't picked which airline to use it on yet since on the surface seems like a waste of a benefit. I did just book a AA flight a few days back. Can anyone confirm this is exactly what to do:

Apply credit fee to AA
Go to link in post to buy AA GC in (2) $100 increments with CC
In a few days this should show as a credit on my account??

Does that sound correct?
Hi Chris,

That is correct. When you buy a GC, remember to select the Virtual GC option, unless you want to have a physical GC.

Last edited by gdoubleu; Nov 21, 18 at 11:58 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 21, 18, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by AFmoneyguy View Post
I selected AA as my airline on my Ameriprise AMEX Platinum. I purchased a single $200 gift card on 17 Nov. I was reimbursed for a $200 gift card purchased on AA's gift card website on 19 Nov.
any update on the $250aa gift card you purchased using Hilton aspire card yet?
Old Nov 22, 18, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by jgroll57 View Post
Just purchased 1x$200 AA Egift card with business plat. Will update with (hopeful) reimbursement.
quick uodate, full $200 reimbursement came through this morning
sdsearch and Abidjan like this.

Search this Thread