Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by sadao
Ok, that's good to hear. Fingers crossed for both of us.
the transaction posted this morning but the reimbursement has not come in yet.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by gling
How did you manage to retrieve your card number online if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks.
Account services -> View Card Number.

Talk to CS if your card is not linked to your account yet.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:08 am

For Amex Gold
12/23 - Selected airline, received an email confirmation
12/25 - purchased 2* $50 eGC
12/27 - Reimbursed
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ilastrider
I'm on the same boat except I brought 100 cuz gold card. I purchased the GCs on the 28th and it hasn't posted yet. We also have the same coding AA ARC
Just bought $50 cuz I have 40 bucks left on the credit, also got the ARC code when it showed up, the last time I purchased GC (in Oct) there were no ARC.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up single $250 AA e-gift-card worked!

Amex Hilton Aspire

I bought a single $250 AA e-gift-card on Thu 12/27.

The purchase posted on Sat 12/29.

Early this morning, Sun 12/30, my progress counter went from $250 available to all used up for the year, but the credit was not showing yet.

Later this morning, Sun 12/30, $250 credit showed up! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

EDITED TO ADD:

I made my airline selection weeks earlier.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 3, 2019 at 12:03 pm Reason: clarify when airline selection was made
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:36 pm

will it work?

Ok I just bought 3 gift cards with my Hilton Aspire card. Curious to see if it will post and use the 2018 credit or if it will roll to 2019. My bad for waiting until today to buy the gift cards.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Javier Ruiz
Ok I just bought 3 gift cards with my Hilton Aspire card. Curious to see if it will post and use the 2018 credit or if it will roll to 2019. My bad for waiting until today to buy the gift cards.
I made two purchases this morning $150 & $100 with my Aspire. Curious to know about it too.
Javier Ruiz likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
So on Jan. 1, can I just buy more AA GC and expect an automatic reimbursement like in 2018, or do I need to re-register online with AA again and my Plat card? IOW, if I just want to keep the same airline from year to year, do I need to re-register or not?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
So on Jan. 1, can I just buy more AA GC and expect an automatic reimbursement like in 2018, or do I need to re-register online with AA again and my Plat card? IOW, if I just want to keep the same airline from year to year, do I need to re-register or not?
good question, I suppose you can look at your AMEX profile on Jan 1 to make sure AA still shows up as the chosen airline.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:19 pm

I'm going to be kicking myself if it doesn't take it from 2018. Just a dumb mistake on my part
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Javier Ruiz
my previous purchase end up posting on the date i get the original pending notification, so hopefully it will be the same this time and for you. Good luck!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by technotica
Waited until the very last minute on AA. I purchased 2 - $100 e-giftcards from AA on a personal platinum at 9:45pm CST on Dec 31. It posted on Dec 31 and was reimbursed on January 2.

Don't wait until the last minute, I got lucky because AA was going to start site maintenance at 10:00pm on Dec 31, so if I would have waited longer it may not have processed.

Also I can confirm that I still have $200 in credit until Dec 2017. So I can do this again for 2017.
I just wish my purchases today will be posted tomorrow and get reimbursed. Should have done it yesterday, well... fingers crossed.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Gonna ask in this thread too - I upgraded to Aspire today, took a couple hours but now says Aspire online, and I was able to pick AA as my airline - should I buy $250 in GC tonight, or tomorrow morning, or need to wait 24 hours which would put me at 9:45pm EST on Dec 31?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by yoshapman
Gonna ask in this thread too - I upgraded to Aspire today, took a couple hours but now says Aspire online, and I was able to pick AA as my airline - should I buy $250 in GC tonight, or tomorrow morning, or need to wait 24 hours which would put me at 9:45pm EST on Dec 31?
Have you received the confirmation email? I actually waited 24 hours before I made my purchase, but since it’s so close to the year end... I guess the sooner the better, good luck to you and to myself!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Angel Hao

Have you received the confirmation email? I actually waited 24 hours before I made my purchase, but since it’s so close to the year end... I guess the sooner the better, good luck to you and to myself!
Yes received confirmation that I picked American, and chat and phone agents both saw it and said I should be able to use it immediately. Just wish I could see more DPs of people who used it on the first day they picked it, or within 24 hours of picking it. I'm almost certain last time I picked an airline and used it the next morning (within 24 hours) and it posted fine, but not sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.