Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, British
Originally Posted by alkotik
I just want to clarify on ‘Seat assignment fees’. If I pay for an exit row seat. Is it considered a Seat assignment which is refundable or an upgrade which is not refundable?
I did get the refund for the seat assignment.
chapmanj9 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Amex Plat DP-

Purchased 2x $100 AA eGCs on 8/13/18
Received reimbursement for both on 8/15/18
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Aspire

2 X 100, 1X 50 8/15 reimbursed 8/20
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:12 pm

Amex Platinum

$100 x 2 GC but one transaction so total $200 on statement. Reimbursed full $200 two days later.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The wikipost atop this thread is there to explain basics like this. Please read it, thanks. (Note: The wikipost is not available in the mobile version of FT, only the desktop version.)
Brewdog11

The answer to your question is Yes To Both.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:44 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
.... (Note: The wikipost is not available in the mobile version of FT, only the desktop version.)
This is no longer accurate. Wikiposts are visible to everyone
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:38 am

I purchased 2x 100 gcs (2 transactions) on 8/23 on my platinum ameriprise. Bought them right after receiving email confirmation that I chose AA. It's 8/30 and I still haven't received credit.... anyone else ever have a similar delay?

Last edited by echo1286; Aug 30, 2018 at 10:50 am
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by echo1286
I purchased 2x 100 gcs (2 transactions) on 8/23 on my platinum ameriprise. Bought them right after receiving email confirmation that I chose AA. It's 8/30 and I still haven't received credit.... anyone else ever have a similar delay?
It is always a good idea to wait after selecting the airline. But since you bought it almost at the end of the week, give it a couple more days.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:15 am

bought 2x100 and 1x50 in single transaction on Aspire card on Friday. three days later on Monday credit applied to card
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
It is always a good idea to wait after selecting the airline. But since you bought it almost at the end of the week, give it a couple more days.
yea... I haven't received the credit yet. Must have bought too quickly even though I received the confirmation that I chose AA.. oh well. Lesson learned
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:15 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

.. I haven't received the credit yet. ...
This does not mean that you won't receive the credit. If the initial sweep did not pick up the transaction it may be detected later, but you'll simply need to wait the number of weeks specified in the benefit terms.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:51 pm

yea... I haven't received the credit yet. Must have bought too quickly even though I received the confirmation that I chose AA.. oh well. Lesson learned
Mayday mayday, I have also bought 4 $50 AA giftcards and have received no credit. Purchased August 27th and no credit through today.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by fantasticmrfox600
Mayday mayday, I have also bought 4 $50 AA giftcards and have received no credit. Purchased August 27th and no credit through today.
Is this also on the first year of an Ameriprise Amex Plat like the earlier report? It was probably just a matter of time before Amex cooled on the folks getting the credits without having to pay the annual fees.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:40 am
mia

A few times each year there is a lag in reimbursements posting, which gives rise to speculative explanations or panic, and then the backlog is cleared. Wait until your transaction is 30 days old to see what happens.

Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 per calendar year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must select one qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. The qualifying airline Business Platinum Card Members select for this $200 benefit and the 35% Airline Bonus must be the same. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged to the Card Member on the eligible Card Account for the benefit to apply. Incidental air travel fees charged by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 per calendar year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to selection of a qualifying airline are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the charge under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be recognized as an incidental air travel fee. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this benefit, call the number on the back of your Card.
ukinny2000 and lotrbfme like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by MoonOverMiami
Is this also on the first year of an Ameriprise Amex Plat like the earlier report? It was probably just a matter of time before Amex cooled on the folks getting the credits without having to pay the annual fees.
Yes sir, first years user here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.