Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
April 2nd selected AA, received an email acknowledging the selection within two hours.
April 2nd purchased $100 GC x 2 after above email.
April 4th credited $100 x 2.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Amex Plat/Aspire,HH Diamond, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, BAEC blue, AA
Does anyone know if there is a limitation on this benefit if you have 2 Amex cards that offer it? I have the regular Amex Plat. and Hilton Aspire. The Aspire offers a $250 credit - however, every time I try to enroll the second card I get an error msg that this feature is not available right now. I've tried over a few days and same error. That would be a severe curtailment of the value of a $450 card. Maybe I missed some fine print on it.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by flint350
Does anyone know if there is a limitation on this benefit if you have 2 Amex cards that offer it?...
No there is not. If you are unable to select an airline for one of the cards online, call the number of the back of the card. No need to even mention the other card.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, RapidRewards
Hi guys, does anyone know if the $100 travel fee is included as the minimum spending? I have Amex GPR with $2000 spending requirement to get 50k MR. I spent about $1900ish on something and I already purchased $100 AA GC and already got the reimbursement. Was wondering if that $100 purchase is considered towards the spending, or else I will need to spend a little bit more just to be safe...
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ivandjaw
Hi guys, does anyone know if the $100 travel fee is included as the minimum spending? I have Amex GPR with $2000 spending requirement to get 50k MR. I spent about $1900ish on something and I already purchased $100 AA GC and already got the reimbursement. Was wondering if that $100 purchase is considered towards the spending, or else I will need to spend a little bit more just to be safe...
The $100 purchase counts toward MSR even though it's reimbursed. (The $100 "travel fee" is not included in minimum spending, which is what you asked in the first sentence. I suspect that's not what you intended to ask as evidenced by the question in your final sentence.)

Edit: You will probably get several opinions to spend an extra $100 "just to be sure". In every one of my AMEX cards, the purchase that was reimbursed for the travel credit counted toward minimum spend.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by mia
No there is not. If you are unable to select an airline for one of the cards online, call the number of the back of the card. No need to even mention the other card.
I called and the very personable Amex rep said she couldn't explain why it was giving the error, but I was enrolled already. It just bugged me that it kept showing "enroll now", which the other card doesn't do. I was also wished a congrats on my 46th year anniversary with Amex. (where's the cake?)
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by flint350
...46th year anniversary with Amex. (where's the cake?)
Attached Images  
lotrbfme, zhangg and flint350 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, RapidRewards
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The $100 purchase counts toward MSR even though it's reimbursed. (The $100 "travel fee" is not included in minimum spending, which is what you asked in the first sentence. I suspect that's not what you intended to ask as evidenced by the question in your final sentence.)

Edit: You will probably get several opinions to spend an extra $100 "just to be sure". In every one of my AMEX cards, the purchase that was reimbursed for the travel credit counted toward minimum spend.
Yes, sorry for the confusion. So I had one purchase worth $1950 and then $100 for AA gift card (which was reimbursed as a travel fee), does that mean I already fulfill the $2k requirement to get the 50k MR sign up bonus?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:46 am

Mar 24: 1 $200 AA eGC purchased
Mar 26: $200 credited to account

easy 1k MR points too
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:23 pm

To further cement my acknowledgement of enrollment in both, today both my Amex cards show the purchase of $100 trial gift cards from 3 days ago as reimbursed. So I have $250 left between them to cash in which will pay the AF for one of the cards.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:36 pm

4/2 Purchased 1 x $100 GC on PRG / 2x $100 GC on Platinum
4/3 Charges posted to accounts
4/6 Charges reimbursed to accounts
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:36 pm

Hilton Aspire Data Point

4/4 Chose AA as my airline (received confirmation e-mail around 7:30 PM)
4/4 Purchased $100 GC (around 9:45 PM)
4/6 Charge went from "pending" to "posted"
4/9 $100 reimbursement (more than a couple of days after purchase...due to the weekend I'm sure)

I saw another post on here, regarding the Aspire card, where the member chose airline/purchased GC on the same day...and got the reimbursement. Transaction listed as "Category: Travel - Airline" and "Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)". Even though it probably doesn't matter, I'll more than likely wait a few days before attempting another GC purchase.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: ANA
Personal Platinum

4/4 Select AA as my airline
4/5 Purchased $100 x 2 GC
4/7 Charge posted
4/9 $100 x 2 reimbursement credited to account. (credit appeared on 4/10)

Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)

Last edited by leeroy_jenkins; Apr 10, 2018 at 7:46 am
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:52 am

two card

PRG
APR 4 $50 AA Bought
APR 8 -$50 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement

ASPIRE
APR 2 $50 AA Bought
APR 4 -$50 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement
APR 5 $50 AA Bought
APR 9 -$50 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
AMEX Platinum

4/3 AA selected as airline
4/4 $100 GC purchased
4/6 Charge posted
4/10 $100 Credit

Document type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.