Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
I've had the same experience others have had this year.

1/22 - Two $100 AA gift cards purchased
1/24 - Amex credit applied

Easy peasy, as always.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
I recently changed an upcoming reservation on AA, using my Platinum Card. AMEX agent said they would cover the change fee (up to $200 of course) via the reimbursement. However, AA made one big charge for the entire flight change, instead of charging the fare difference and change fee separately. Will AMEX still recognize it and credit it, or will I have to call in and have them do it manually?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:07 pm

Switched to AA and order online GC, but no reimbursement

HI switched to AA this year since United registry not working. Bought 2 $100 GC on the same day, and been 14 days and still have not been reimbursed.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by endeavor8
HI switched to AA this year since United registry not working. Bought 2 $100 GC on the same day, and been 14 days and still have not been reimbursed.
Did you change your airline preference with AMEX for reimbursements?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:25 am

I was wondering if I use the $200 in airline credit fee (2 x $100 gc) in January with AA, can I switch by January 31 to another airline to receive the 35% bonus for the remaining 11 months? Or does the credit and bonus have to be the same airline?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Switched my airline from United to American and then bought a $100 AA gift card. Will see if/when reimbursement hits before buying a second one.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:06 pm

Hey everybody,

I'm thinking of switching my airline to AA. Problem is I live in NJ and i'm not sure if AA lifted it's e-gift card ban on NJ residents. Can anybody from NJ confirm that they are able to buy gift cards and get the reimbursement?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jshedosky
... Can anybody from NJ confirm that they are able to buy gift cards and get the reimbursement?
See HERE.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jshedosky
Hey everybody,

I'm thinking of switching my airline to AA. Problem is I live in NJ and i'm not sure if AA lifted it's e-gift card ban on NJ residents. Can anybody from NJ confirm that they are able to buy gift cards and get the reimbursement?
Yes. Works fine for NJ residents now.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:32 am

First ever dp on Aspire?

Called Amex to designate AA (for some reason cannot do it online) on Jan 28 morning, bought $100 eGC in the evening
Credit posted Jan 30.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:10 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by usercomments
First ever dp on Aspire?

Called Amex to designate AA (for some reason cannot do it online) on Jan 28 morning, bought $100 eGC in the evening
Credit posted Jan 30.
Wrong thread kinda... This is for Membership Rewards / Retention offers. Might want to find an appropriate Hilton HHonors / Amex thread.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Tony300S
Wrong thread kinda... This is for Membership Rewards / Retention offers. Might want to find an appropriate Hilton HHonors / Amex thread.
Actually, this thread is for American Express airline fee reimbursements using American Airlines. It's definitely not a retention offer thread.

Since the Aspire is an AMEX card offering an airline fee reimbursement feature on AA, seems like an appropriate contribution to the thread.
usercomments likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by usercomments
First ever dp on Aspire?

Credit posted Jan 30.
Same here -- except I was able to select my airline of choice on the Amex website for Aspire by going into the my benefits tab.

1/27 -- selected AA
1/27 -- purchased $50 gc
1/30 -- reimbursement

I'm going to do the remaining $200 tomorrow. Will post if there are any surprises.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lkar
Same here -- except I was able to select my airline of choice on the Amex website for Aspire by going into the my benefits tab.

1/27 -- selected AA
1/27 -- purchased $50 gc
1/30 -- reimbursement

I'm going to do the remaining $200 tomorrow. Will post if there are any surprises.
Exact same timeline for me, but I did 2x$100.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
1/24 --Purchased two separate $100 GC

1/26--Reimbursement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.