Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:21 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by mlin32
Is anyone else having trouble getting reimbursed automatically when buying luggage charges at the AA self-kiosks at the airport ? Once again, the 25$ baggage charge isn't being picked up as a fee to be reimbursed in the Amex system.......so I'll have to wait a month and call again.

Since you can't purchase checked bags in advance......
I am. I had to call twice last month and now I have two more that haven't been reimbursed. Do you think it is the way the kiosk is programed to code the charge?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Amex Platinum Charge Card (Personal)

4/20 - Purchased 2 x $100 gift cards in separate transactions
4/22 - Received 2 x $100 credits
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by abk
I am. I had to call twice last month and now I have two more that haven't been reimbursed. Do you think it is the way the kiosk is programed to code the charge?
I think so, must be somehow coding it has a normal ticket purchase versus an ancillary fee. Because when I purchased a seat selection on a trip on the AA.com website, that got reimbursed within 2 days of the charge posting.

Amex needs to look into this; not at all efficient to have to call in every time I purchase baggage.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Just a small dp that reimbursement still worked for a $100 aa gift card as of 4/23. I still miss MPX, but this is the next-best thing.

Thanks to everyone for a super-useful thread!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Another data point: when checking in for a flight a few weeks back, I was short on e500s, and purchased two during the check in process on the App, using my Plat card. A couple days later, an $80 credit showed up against my allowance.

I know that upgrades purchased directly from AA.com have never counted, but this appears to be a workaround (albeit with limited applicability)
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
1x $100 on the PRG Gold - posted 2 days later.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
April 26: 2x $100 AA GC purchased
April 28: 2x $100 airline credits received
Old May 3, 2017, 10:15 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by mlin32
I think so, must be somehow coding it has a normal ticket purchase versus an ancillary fee. Because when I purchased a seat selection on a trip on the AA.com website, that got reimbursed within 2 days of the charge posting.

Amex needs to look into this; not at all efficient to have to call in every time I purchase baggage.
I just had to call for three $25 bag fees. The agent says they are coded as frequent flyer charges by AA and need to be adjusted manually. They manually corrected it but I find it ironic that a gift card isn't a problem but a bag fee is.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Reimbursed $75 for Same Day Confirmed Flight Change.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
AMEX Platinum (personal)

MAY 11
AMERICAN AIRLINES 45DALLAS TX
$525.00
Category: Travel - Airline

MAY 13
AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement
-$200.00

I know the old T&Cs explicitly stated the credit would work for day/annual lounge membership passes, but they no longer explicitly mention lounges.

I got an Admirals Club membership, and as you can see, the reimbursement went through fine (even with a general category coding of "Travel - Airline").

EDIT TO ADD:

It shows up as an actual flight on my AMEX with the following "flight details:"

Passenger Name: [my name]
Date of Departure: 05/11
Ticket Number: [what looks like a valid AA ticket #]
Document Type: CLUB MEMBERSHIP FEE
Old May 18, 2017, 6:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Does it take some time for the credit to apply, after the transaction posts (as stated in the wiki)? Seems like all the cases here had statements posting both together?

I purchased a $100 AA virtual GC two days ago and it posted today (transaction date of 2 days ago). Should I expect the credit to show up later, as in a few days later but backdated to today?
Old May 19, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: Amex,AS,DL,Marriott,Hilton
Bought 2x$100 AA virtual GC on 5/4, 2 $100 credits posted on 5/6, personal platinum card
Old May 21, 2017, 2:53 pm

i am buying a ticket on aa. Does amex platinum refund the seat selection fees or is that considered part of the ticket price? I wanted to choose aisle seats and the fee for those seats is charged as the total ticket price. Does aa show the seat fee as a separate fee on your card so that amex reimburses?
Old May 23, 2017, 7:00 am

Do you really need to wait 72 hours to use these cards?
Old May 23, 2017, 1:42 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by factory81
Do you really need to wait 72 hours to use these cards?
Yes.

AA sends an email with a link for issuing the codes. It will only work after after 72 hours of purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.