Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If you are an AA flyer, and only need lounge access for yourself and guests flying with you, consider choosing Alaska Airlines as your 2020 carrier for reimbursement. An AS lounge membership costs $450 (maximum), includes access to Alaska Boardrooms Lounges, AA lounges (except SFO) when flying AA or AS, QF (many) when flying Qantas, and a handful of UA lounges when Flying AS.

On paper Centurion and Platinum cardholders already have access to most AS Boardrooms Lounges through Priority Pass, but in practice they do not admit Priority Pass members during peak hours.

Memberships can be purchased online, by telephone or at a Boardroom Lounge, which leaves open the possibility of a split tender if you have more than one card with this benefit.

Check my work: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...tion-and-hours
notquiteaff and MaxVO like this.

Last edited by mia; Dec 25, 2019 at 11:03 am Reason: Branding update
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mia
On paper Centurion and Platinum cardholders already have access to most AS Boardrooms through Priority Pass, but in practice they do not admit Priority Pass members during peak hours.

Check my work: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...tion-and-hours
I assume this is a copy/paste from a previous year?

Alaska clubs are nowadays known as Alaska Lounge, and Priority Pass Access has been eliminated at most locations. I think the only AS Lounges that still participate are LAX and JFK (no experience how well it works in practice).
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I assume this is a copy/paste from a previous year?
No. I included a link to the source material so that you can make your own decisions. Sorry that I was not up to date on the branding. (Alaska Lounge, like United Club, is a missed opportunity to differentiate.)
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by mia; Dec 25, 2019 at 11:07 am
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:18 pm

i had 3 refunds on < $50 flights this year, but I also had 3 flights < $50 that were not refunded (those were more recent). I scrolled back a bit but I didnt see any specific information about it

interestingly enough there were 2 flights booked on the same day, for the same price (split one ways to be under 50). one got refunded, one didnt. after that i never got a refund again for flights.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mia
If you are an AA flyer, and only need lounge access for yourself and guests flying with you, consider choosing Alaska Airlines as your 2020 carrier for reimbursement.
I'm SFO based, so AS membership is not a good solution. Already purchased AC membership, but renewal will be next December, so can use one full AMEX credit (I have three) for that.
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Also, change fees will work for it. Using credit as an AA EP is hard road.
Thanks, I usually incur at least a grand in change fees each year, so if those will credit, I'm home free.
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Using credit as an AA EP is hard road.
Yeah, I'm used to UA where credit applies to wifi subscriptions. Similar issue with AS, where I'm 75K, so everything except wifi is already free.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz President Circle
I split the Admiral Club membership fee between my Plat and Aspire cards and was able to get both card reimbursed within 4 days.

I had some hit and misses with getting award flight fees reimbursed this year. Too many tries but here are the latest - purchased 2 segments and paid $5.6 each on 11/27 but was only reimbursed for one on 12/2
MaxVO likes this.

Last edited by travel214; Dec 26, 2019 at 5:47 am
Old Dec 26, 2019, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by travel214
I had some hit and misses with getting award flight fees reimbursed this year.
Unfortunately those DP's can't be helpful to others, unless you post the details. Are you perhaps referring to something you posted earlier in the thread?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I split the Admiral Club membership fee between my Plat and Aspire cards and was able to get both card reimbursed within 4 days.
Nice trick. How did you do that?
Adelphos likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:20 am

This option is really tempting. My wife has AS MVP 75k status for 2019 but neither of us have status for 2020. Does anyone know whether Amex handles credits by when the transaction was made or when it posted? Wondering if I could purchase the AS lounge membership in the final hours of 2019 at the MVP 75k rate of $300, but have the Amex credits apply in 2020 if the transaction takes a day or two to post.

Originally Posted by mia
If you are an AA flyer, and only need lounge access for yourself and guests flying with you, consider choosing Alaska Airlines as your 2020 carrier for reimbursement. An AS lounge membership costs $450 (maximum), includes access to Alaska Boardrooms Lounges, AA lounges (except SFO) when flying AA or AS, QF (many) when flying Qantas, and a handful of UA lounges when Flying AS.

On paper Centurion and Platinum cardholders already have access to most AS Boardrooms Lounges through Priority Pass, but in practice they do not admit Priority Pass members during peak hours.

Memberships can be purchased online, by telephone or at a Boardroom Lounge, which leaves open the possibility of a split tender if you have more than one card with this benefit.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I had a $175 mileage redeposit fee from April that never got reimbursed. I called in today asking for reimbursement - the representative said that mileage redeposit fees were not among the fees that were reimbursed (they also were not listed among those excluded) - she was able to make an “exception” and get reimbursement for me
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JBG89
Hi folks! Is there a charge threshold when purchasing 500 mile upgrades? Or can i purchase 6 in one transaction to get $240 of my $250 Aspire credit?
I have executed 3 successful transactions of 2 each in the past 2 weeks. The $80 credit takes about 4 days to post.

I figure this is my best option for AA. They never expire and I *will* use them someday. Even as a Gold, they occasionally clear out of MCI. AA is a distant 3rd or 4th player here, so not as many EXPs and PLTs to compete with.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
did the miles multiplier for about $100 a few weeks ago and got the credit. trying to do again (diff reservation) but i haven't gotten the multiplier option either time i've gone through the process. anyone know how to trigger it if having already done one on a previously canceled and credited reservation?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz President Circle
I called Admiral club number and asked an agent to split the fee between the card. She knew what I was asking and was able to take care of it quickly. I suspect you can do it in person at the admiral club too

Don’t forget to use your Saks credit top lol
TravelinSperry and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:44 pm

I called Admiral club number and asked an agent to split the fee between the card. She knew what I was asking and was able to take care of it quickly. I suspect you can do it in person at the admiral club too
Awesome - thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2019, 4:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
New to the Amex credit. Just upgraded my Hilton card and realized i could likely double dip. No flights led this year. I have a trip on AA in February. I have no status on American but my wife is gold. Could I buy 500 mile upgrades on her account? If not I pay to upgrade our flight to F for one segment and trigger the credit? Just don't want to screw something up and don't want to select AA until I am sure. Per wiki it looks the 500 mile segments work but wondered if the name would matter. (Same last name and same address). But was sure if the upgrade would work as I thought paid upgrades didn't count

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.