Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Is there any way to use an airline credit on AA if you don't have a booked flight? Still have $66 left for the year. You have to be in an AA club to buy a day pass?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
500-mile upgrade for 40 a piece including tax?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red259
Is there any way to use an airline credit on AA if you don't have a booked flight? Still have $66 left for the year. You have to be in an AA club to buy a day pass?
The wiki lists the methods which have worked for some or all. But which method works for you depends on your specifics. For example, if you have elite status, the 500-mile "stickers" would work for the credit, but if you don't have elite status, they're useless. AA club passes may work, but they're way tons more expensive than $66, so they wouldn't be a good value unless you really a good use for one (and just want a little discount). So you have to look at each one, one by one, and see if it can work for you.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does the counter drop to zero and say $0 credit available when it has been entirely used? Mine says $200 credit available, but I am not sure if they are just listing the benefit or if the blue arch means that I still have $200 to use?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Yes, the counter drops as the credit is consumed.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Has anyone tried doing a split payment for a ticket on the AA website, part with gift card and part on the Amex Platinum? Does the part on the credit card get reimbursed? This has been reported to work on Delta, but I didn't see any discussion of attempts at that on AA.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:12 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gumercindo
im confused. Each one day pass is valid up to either the point you use it or one year (whichever comes first).

I plan on buying a single day pass with my Amex plat tomorrow - I’m assuming this still triggers the credit?
it’s valid for one year, but when you redeem it, for a single day of club access

My credit hasn’t hit yet, but lounge passes count per the published rules,
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Any DP on using it to pay for elite status extension? Buy back elite status ? Thank in advance.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by lv.onlythebrave
Yes, I just booked a refundable ticket and see an mileage mult option @ around 3.2 cents per mile (spot on). I think AA miles are around 1.2-1.4 cents worth, so its pretty poor value for the AMEX credit but better than nothing !
The value of AA miles depends entirely on how you use them. Domestic flights are a lousy redemption value, but international premium class awards are much better. If you have enough miles and the date flexibility, flying in QR J or CX/JL/EY F is a much better redemption value (e.g., 8-12 cents/mile).

Originally Posted by Lyly Nguyen
Sorry I'm new with the Amex airline reinburstment. I got an email from AA for Black Friday promotion. 13,000 miles cost $354.75 which comes out to .03 per mile. Does anyone know I'll get reinburstment if I buy it online? Is that too high to get flagged? I have $200 airline credit for 2019 that I need help getting reinburse.
Buying miles outright won't get reimbursed. Buying miles through Mileage Multiplier should (has worked for myself and others reporting here).

I read about the miles multiplier. Can I do that online when I book a ticket for next year's trip or do I need to book the ticket with a rep and buy on the phone? Is the miles multiplier gives me better $ per mile? Sorry again since I'm new to all this and the lingos.
You can do it all online. See posts earlier in the thread (e.g., the 4-5 pages above). I suggest booking fully refundable short trips, using Mileage Multiplier after the trips have ticketed, then cancelling/refunding the trips. I purchased small amounts of miles via Mileage Multipler. I think that's safer.

I got a $404 for 12,500 miles offer in the miles multiplier when I booked a flight. Do you think it's too risky for the price that high (I have $200 I need to use up by the end of the year)?
How much is your Airline Fee reimbursement? Mine on the personal Platinum card is $200. I wouldn't spend a penny that I won't get reimbursed on Mileage Multiplier. As I reported upthread, I purchased several short (150 or so mile) trips using miles, since I can cancel/refund awards without paying a fee. If you do pay a fee, I'd suggest buying several very short fully refundable coach trips, using Mileage Multiplier on each, then cancelling/refunding the trips

Do you know if it's the same for buying miles vs miles multiplier to trigger the reindburstment?
A big difference: buying miles outright won't trigger reimbursement, but buying via Mileage Multipler does.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:05 am

Award cancellation/ redeposit fees

I have read here that AA award cancellation/ redeposit fees are not automatically reimbursed but one needs to call in after 14 days. Anyone has recent experience of doing so? What do you say to the AmEx rep, e.g. “itinerary change,” “award cancellation,” “miles redeposit”? TIA
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by ikwia
Has anyone tried doing a split payment for a ticket on the AA website, part with gift card and part on the Amex Platinum? Does the part on the credit card get reimbursed? This has been reported to work on Delta, but I didn't see any discussion of attempts at that on AA.
Just tried to break a $203 ticket between part of the credit I had with AA (specified $5 out of the whole value of $42) and $198 on the Platinum card with AA benefit.
Statement shows "AMERICAN AIRLINES 45800-433-7300 TX" and ticket details and no refund on the morning of the 3rd day. Will try to update if reimbursement ever posts but given the details, I don't think it will happen.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by alfiek
Just tried to break a $203 ticket between part of the credit I had with AA (specified $5 out of the whole value of $42) and $198 on the Platinum card with AA benefit.
Statement shows "AMERICAN AIRLINES 45800-433-7300 TX" and ticket details and no refund on the morning of the 3rd day. Will try to update if reimbursement ever posts but given the details, I don't think it will happen.
Thanks, and good luck!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by alfiek
I have tried split payments a few times and did not work. See Colonel Custer.

Safe Travels
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by zmicer88
I have read here that AA award cancellation/ redeposit fees are not automatically reimbursed but one needs to call in after 14 days. Anyone has recent experience of doing so? What do you say to the AmEx rep, e.g. “itinerary change,” “award cancellation,” “miles redeposit”? TIA
My DP: I had an international award cancel fee of $150 a month or so ago. It did not trigger an automatic reimburse so I contacted Amex via app chat and the chat rep returned a T&C snip saying award ticket fees were not eligible for the credit. OK.

That said, I also had a regular ticket change fee that was closer to $200 so I queried if that was eligible for a fee reimburse and the chat rep said yes, apologized for the credit not taking place automatically, and then confirmed a manual credit to my account. Very satisfactory outcome IMO.

Edit to add: I have the Amex Hilton Aspire card fwiw

Last edited by geo1005; Dec 9, 2019 at 9:07 am Reason: add info
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
.... buying miles outright won't trigger reimbursement,
I am not sure this is accurate. AA handles their own mileage sales, and a miles purchase will be an American Airlines transaction. However, it is true that buying AA miles in small amounts is not cost effective compared to a large purchase, and that a large purchase is unlikely to be mistaken for a fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.