Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:08 am
v4r

Programs: AA Gold
Booked a RT on 11/17 in Q, bought 2 preferred seat selections each way on the same day. Meter moved to empty on 11/22!
Old Nov 23, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Ha. $5.60 Award fee was credited back today.
How long did your reimbursement take? It's been a week for me and no reimbursement yet.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:20 pm

So I know very late to this thread and it seems the Gift Card option is dead. What are my options, need to make the purcahse very soon. Please advise and help.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by troyhouse
So I know very late to this thread and it seems the Gift Card option is dead. What are my options, need to make the purcahse very soon. Please advise and help.
check the wiki
Tanic, EZjace and PETERPNYC like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:29 pm

Admirals club

Any dps of paying the $650 fee across multiple cards? I have an Aspire and 2 plats to use.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by bcpoinciana
Any dps of paying the $650 fee across multiple cards? I have an Aspire and 2 plats to use.
See a couple of posts above:

Originally Posted by Majuki
Either is ok. I do mine in the club so that they can split the payment method.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I have the Hilton Honors Aspire card with AA set as my airline-of-choice for fee credits.

I have an award ticket to cancel - should the cancel/re-deposit fee ($125 or so) trigger the credit???
Old Nov 27, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Mileage multiplier purchased and credited within seven days (over a weekend, I believe).

Used my last couple of gift cards last night :-(
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by geo1005
I have the Hilton Honors Aspire card with AA set as my airline-of-choice for fee credits.

I have an award ticket to cancel - should the cancel/re-deposit fee ($125 or so) trigger the credit???
I believe it will
geo1005 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
All,

Bought a Baileys (or two) at the Concourse D CLT AC last week using Amex Gold which has AA designated for my airline credit. Charge has posted, but no meter movement and no credit showing etc Is this one where if the meter does not move, I can/should plead my case to customer service? I think I am in the "grey area" under a technical reading of the rules (i.e. not expressly permitted but not expressly excluded) Thoughts? TIA!!

Safe Travels
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by miffSC
Mileage multiplier purchased and credited within seven days (over a weekend, I believe).

Used my last couple of gift cards last night :-(
Yeah all gift cards used and 2020 looking bleak just about to pay renewal and the airline credit seems almost useless now
Old Nov 28, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
By the by, never mind about the AC charge that had not triggered reimbursement that I mentioned upthread It did today.

Safe Travels
Old Nov 28, 2019, 6:46 pm

Perhaps posts reporting successful reimbursements should explicitly include the number of business days required for them to appear. It's just a bit more reader friendly than only listing the dates. Then subsequent contributors will have some guidance how many days to wait before reporting thier own experiences.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Mileage multiplier worked for me - credited back within a week.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold, UA Silver, AF Silver, National EE, Hertz Pres Circle
$98 mileage multiplier worked for me as well .. credited after 5 days

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.