Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by scubadu
Perhaps what the poster is referring to regarding "playing games" would be for Amex to align with their primary competition, Chase and Citi, and simply make it a "travel credit" that just works and doesn't require any of this nonsense in order to utilize the benefit.

Regards
Amen to that.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

I doubt Amex had anything to do with these changes. Its certainly a possibility but if Amex wanted to stop allowing giftcards Delta and SWA would be dead as well.

This has happened before where American GC started coding differently and it reverted back after a while.
I think thats probably right. We here are total travel geeks. Were a very small group. It will seldom make sense for Amex to change its relationships with partners to spoil the games we play. Besides, a lot of us are very profitable customers for Amex, even after we play our games.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:35 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by suziemay
Interesting, my "pending" charge for the Personal Platinum for two $100 virtual GCs purchased on 6/15 was identical to the AA ARC one I posted earlier from my Personal Gold. Category is travel. Charge just got posted and reverted to:

AMERICAN AIRLINES
4333 AMON CARTER BLVD
FORTH WORTH
TX
UNITED STATES

Category is "Travel - Airline".
Yes, I also purchased from the regular gift card site. Interestingly, on mobile its simply coding as Travel - Airline. On desktop theres a code that says GIFT CERTIFICATE.

Im working under the assumption that these wont get reimbursed, but if I do end up getting the reimbursement I will report back.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:44 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RW123
....on mobile its simply coding as Travel - Airline. On desktop theres a code that says GIFT CERTIFICATE.

Do you mean that the Gift Certificate code is visible when you view the transaction on americanexpress.com, but not when you use the American Express mobile app?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:46 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean that the Gift Certificate code is visible when you view the transaction on americanexpress.com, but not when you use the American Express mobile app?
Yes
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by mia
When your statement pdf generates the Gift Certificate becomes visible even while the transaction history in the app doesnt.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
$50 test GC bought on my Aspire on the 14th posted today, similarly marked as GIFT CERTIFICATE with the Ft Worth address. Benefits meter on hasn't moved off of the $250. Will see if something happens as a far as a credit but I'm thinking these reports were a myth. AA GCs and Amex are still dead as dead.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:38 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gmt4
.... thinking these reports were a myth. ....
They may be exceptions, but I do not doubt that they occurred. It may also be that there is a variable in the purchase process that matters. In the case of Delta, gift cards purchased with a mobile device are no longer reimbursed, but purchases made with a PC are. There may be a similar variable that accounts for the different AA experience.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mia
They may be exceptions, but I do not doubt that they occurred. It may also be that there is a variable in the purchase process that matters. In the case of Delta, gift cards purchased with a mobile device are no longer reimbursed, but purchases made with a PC are. There may be a similar variable that accounts for the different AA experience.
I thought about that, but with the flood of test buys those of us have made across the spectrum of cards (and platforms no doubt) you'd think that we'd have uncovered something. What is there- one, two claimed DPs of a reimbrusement? If anything it was a fluke in how a batch was processed, maybe someone bought during an IT upgrade and the transaction wasn't coded as a GC and it slipped through. All evidence now suggests this is nothing more than a once off occurence in a small window of time, not a larger trend.

Now I'm off to apply my $50 GC to an upcoming flight I was going to buy anyway...
GTITAN and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:46 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I looked at my PDF statement from May and my GC purchase came up as "Document Type: GIFT CERTIFICATE" so no reimbursement.

With that said, is the AA status challenge being reimburse?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by gmt4
I thought about that, but with the flood of test buys those of us have made across the spectrum of cards (and platforms no doubt) you'd think that we'd have uncovered something. What is there- one, two claimed DPs of a reimbrusement? If anything it was a fluke in how a batch was processed, maybe someone bought during an IT upgrade and the transaction wasn't coded as a GC and it slipped through. All evidence now suggests this is nothing more than a once off occurence in a small window of time, not a larger trend.

Now I'm off to apply my $50 GC to an upcoming flight I was going to buy anyway...
My DP: Gold reimbursed, i purchased as soon as I saw the 1st dp. I bought a 2nd and 3rd gc for my platinum on the 15th and 17th both showing as gift cards
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
My DP: Gold reimbursed, i purchased as soon as I saw the 1st dp. I bought a 2nd and 3rd gc for my platinum on the 15th and 17th both showing as gift cards
DP - Bought on the 16th - showed as GC.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:31 am

This may be a silly question, but I'm wondering if AA will sell gift cards at the airport (either at the ticket counter, service desk, or club) that may code as something else with Amex?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Out of curiosity how did you buy it? Mobile or desktop browser & platform? Time of day? Logged in to aa.com or not? How did the pending charge show up- like it used to with only the Ft Worth address? Wondering about some sort of variable that might have caused it to slip by..
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
I have four purchases in right now. $75 Plat, $100, $100, $50 Aspire Right now everything is pending as AA ARC out of Tulsa. I will update when able. I need to buy tickets anyway so I figured to test all in one big shot.

Update: All of the purchases switched over to the Dallas Address and are now coded as Gift Certificates once it went from pending to posted. O well, guess it's back to food and luggage costs to drop the money.

Last edited by hawkfan7314; Jun 20, 2019 at 7:30 am Reason: Update

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.