Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 6:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by timc01
I've searched for an answer on this but nothing....mileage multiplier
Click HERE (April 18, 2019)
Old May 8, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Seems that purchases at the AA Admirals Club are reimbursed. Both myself and my wife (AU) got drinks at the Club, used our Amex PLT, and refund was posted to our account.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cyncyn129
Seems that purchases at the AA Admirals Club are reimbursed. Both myself and my wife (AU) got drinks at the Club, used our Amex PLT, and refund was posted to our account.
These purchases have always been reimbursed and are in fact covered by the T&Cs.

Regards
Old May 8, 2019, 9:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
These purchases have always been reimbursed ....
Purchases of an Admirals Club membership or passes are covered, but purchases of food and drink inside the clubs has been inconsistent. At one time AA was using a different (outsourced?) merchant account for those, but that might vary by location.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by inevitability
Just flew roundtrip on AA MIA-CUN and upgraded to business class since it was nearly the cost of the baggage. Interestingly it was coded two different ways:

MIA: UPGRADE CHARGE = No Credit
CUN: ADDITIONAL COLLECTION = YES Credit

So depends on how they code it, I upgraded online for both so I can't say if it's actually country-specific and the USA is better at coding transaction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess I'll take what I can get an burn the rest off with baggage fees, since all these basic economy tickets are downloading the baggage cost anyway...baggage is covered right?

I had never tried before (only collected GCs ) but last month the baggage fee was correctly reimbursed.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum
Has anyone had success getting reimbursed for AA Status Challenges?

Last edited by mia; May 19, 2019 at 4:46 am
Old May 19, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
Originally Posted by somewhat traveling actuary
I did this in 2015 and it worked. They’ve changed the fees and changed the challenge a little bit since then, but it did work out for me.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by somewhat traveling actuary
i had it reimbursed on my CSR. I understand it’s not the same thing but it coded exactly the same as Giftcards used to. Misc taxes/fees
Old May 22, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by andreraw
I had never tried before (only collected GCs ) but last month the baggage fee was correctly reimbursed.
Not sure why people are still messing around with this. Just switch to UA and order a cabin pet and cancel everything for a statement credit. AA is rubbish, get a AA card and skip those fees anyhow.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by moops380
Not sure why people are still messing around with this. Just switch to UA and order a cabin pet and cancel everything for a statement credit. AA is rubbish, get a AA card and skip those fees anyhow.
can you elaborate on how to do that exactly or send a PM if not wanting to post publicly.

I think i have the jist but does it require a united ticket or does the DOT 24 hour timeframe work for this.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Amex CS let me switch from AA to Delta even though I already used up $100 in 2019. Bought 3 Delta $50 gcs and reimbursed, now done till 2020.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by moops380
How long do I have to cancel the cabin pet?
Old May 22, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
How long do I have to cancel the cabin pet?
24 hours.
There's a bunch of posts in the UA thread in this forum about how to do this (may have to search the thread back to late in 2018), although some folks reported a YMMV.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:04 am

Success switching from AA

Originally Posted by yoshapman
Amex CS let me switch from AA to Delta even though I already used up $100 in 2019. Bought 3 Delta $50 gcs and reimbursed, now done till 2020.
on my AMEX Platinum, I just successfully switched my airline from AA to SWA via the support chat on their app. They said I normally would have to make the switch in January, but that they would make an exception for me. You can change airline outside of January, even if you used some of it. Just be sure to ask nicely
SuperKirby likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by qweasd
Just be sure to ask nicely
Great advice. When I’m in favor-asking mode, I usually start with something like, “I think I’ve made a mistake and maybe you can help me.” I doubt customer service agents often hear the customer admit they’re in the wrong. It’s disarming, and it can make them want to help you. Think of how much abuse they get on a regular basis. You’re the really nice person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.