Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by eltoddo22
Sad I waited to buy my AA gift cards this year. I have 1 amex platinum, 2 business platinum, and an amex gold so need to use $700 in credit. I am executive platinum so already get baggage and drink for free.

I guess I can use credit to buy 500 mile upgrades? Or maybe cancelation fees. Not sure what else I could possibly use for. Definitely will be canceling these amex since this credit is mostly useless now.
Admiral's Club membership?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey

Too early to say, but it looks ominous. If I had AA as the designated airline, I’d quickly switch and get GCs on another airline. It’s plausible that we’ll soon see the same thing happen with the other airlines. We just don’t know on the outside if this is unique to AA, or if AA is merely the first to do what Amex is demanding from all airline partners in this program.
I suppose I should do that. But I'm a One World loyalist so not really sure where else to go. I really should have been on it January 1!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by suziemay
I suppose I should do that. But I'm a One World loyalist so not really sure where else to go. I really should have been on it January 1!
You probably have a family member or close friend who regularly flies on one of the other airlines in this Amex program. The Southwest GCs never expire, and I'm guessing that's also true of the other airline partner GCs. I'd grab the GCs now. They won't go to waste.
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by suziemay
So the consensus is AA gift cards are done, right?
Some changes too place on Feb 5th or 6th that started triggering GC as GC, rather than miscellaneous. Mine on 3rd went through, someone else on the 4th went through, anything past the 6th didn't.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:43 pm

Looks like they're doing they're processing the skipped transactions from 1/31, at least.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:05 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Certainly glad I bought my $100 gift card on Jan 4th!

Probably cancel my AMEX Gold come AF time as I stopped using it for restaurants because Citi upped its game with my Prestige card and I now get 5x points including foreign restaurants! (Currently in Bali on a one-month vacation!)
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
I was in on the 31 Jan fiasco. I spent my entire allotment, $550, on that one day, all towards AA GCs.
I just saw The Points Guy post that the AA GC loophole no longer works.
Thinking that I should pick up the pieces of what I had left and call AmEx to beg that they switch my credits to Southwest or Delta, I just checked the benefits page of my cards and amazingly, it's showing that I've used all my airline credits this year. Hopefully the credits post soon, but this is a really good sign. I looked into the charges on my account and indeed they posted as MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S) and not GIFT CERTIFICATE. Apparently AA initiated that switch around 8 Feb and GCs purchased after that don't get credits.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Surprisingly I was on the ball with the credits at the beginning of the year and got all mine done before they changed things.

As a reference point, my last $100 on HH Aspire card was charged on 2/1 and got credited on 2/5...so just under the wire.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by nall
Looks like they're doing they're processing the skipped transactions from 1/31, at least.

what do do you mean by this? I purchased on 1/31 and I’m still not showing my meter down...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Amillman

what do do you mean by this? I purchased on 1/31 and I’m still not showing my meter down...
Others have reported that they've recently received reimbursement for the date(s) in question.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Amillman

I chatted with Amex and they issued the credit manually.

Switched plat and gold to UA.

Honestly, I don’t get why people are cancelling their cards over this. If you’re a frequent traveller there are many ways to get this credit back.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by skimple
Just a gentle reminder to anyone who hasn't charged anything to AA yet this year:

With a quick chat to Amex they immediately switched my airline choice. I had already chosen AA a few weeks ago, but they did not give me any trouble.
I just managed to switch Mrs Huge to WN thru online chat - was very easy (the bot said "you can only change in January, but let me see if I can make a special arrangement for you").

I'm guessing it's not possible to switch airlines after I have already been credited $100 (out of $200 Platinum) for an AA GC purchase - has anyone succeeded in getting their remaining credit switched to another airline?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Javier1704

I chatted with Amex and they issued the credit manually.

Switched plat and gold to UA.

Honestly, I don’t get why people are cancelling their cards over this. If you’re a frequent traveller there are many ways to get this credit back.
Not everyone lives near an airport with all airline options.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The Aspire is going downhill fast, you can't get the hotel resort credit posted properly, airline gift cards don't work anymore, Diamond gets no respect or many benefits, lol, what a disaster...Another death by a thousand cuts....We are getting scammed by the banks, the airlines, and the bloggers...time to wake up...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nk15
The Aspire is going downhill fast, you can't get the hotel resort credit posted properly, airline gift cards don't work anymore, Diamond gets no respect or many benefits, lol, what a disaster...Another death by a thousand cuts....We are getting scammed by the banks, the airlines, and the bloggers...time to wake up...
What do you mean you can't get the hotel resort credit posted properly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.