Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by scubadu
You, of course, can be the data point that you seek. Any particular reason the "someone" can't be you?

Regards
Yes, I used up all of our Amex Plat airline statement credits in early January, and on Southwest. I wish I could be the guinea pig.

We saw a very recent successful GC statement credit (a few days ago) over in the Southwest thread, but I'm concerned that what we're seeing with AA might be a harbinger for us who have enjoyed the $200 Amex Plat discount via Southwest gift cards (and possibly all airlines that are in the Amex statement credit program).
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Except that as mia posted upthread, this already happened once before (in 2016), and eventually went back to posting normally (though that time it took months if I understand correctly). So it's not clear yet if this was intended to be a permanent change this time or not, and we may not know for quite a while perhaps.
I'll let mia clarify, but I'm not sure that we've seen this before in that some GC purchases on AA are being coded as gift cards. We saw delays in the statement credits before, but I don't think we saw the GC purchases coded as such.

I hope I'm wrong, but this feels like a change, and it might not be limited to AA.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
sdsearch is referring to THIS post.

My recollection of the 2016 episode is hazy. I did some digging today, and I see reports that VISA transactions showed "GFT" as a code, but don't see any reports that it appeared on American Express transactions.

There have been many periods when reimbursements were delayed.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by mia
sdsearch is referring to THIS post.

My recollection of the 2016 episode is hazy. I did some digging today, and I see reports that VISA transactions showed "GFT" as a code, but don't see any reports that it appeared on American Express transactions.

There have been many periods when reimbursements were delayed.
At least since December 2018, my VISA Infinite shows "GFT AA Y FEE" in the description. Even with that, it was reimbursed as part of the VISA Airline incidentals statement credit.

I used the AMEX Airline credit in January, so before this change. I have a gift card purchased on Jan 7th to the Visa Infinite, will post if it gets reimbursed. If it doesn't, something also changed for VISA cards. I can't see the description of the charge yet.
mia likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by igorjrr
At least since December 2018, my VISA Infinite shows "GFT AA Y FEE" in the description. Even with that, it was reimbursed as part of the VISA Airline incidentals statement credit.

I used the AMEX Airline credit in January, so before this change. I have a gift card purchased on Jan 7th to the Visa Infinite, will post if it gets reimbursed. If it doesn't, something also changed for VISA cards. I can't see the description of the charge yet.
I purchased a $1390 AA Gc on USB Altitude Reserve a couple weeks ago. It doesn't mention anything like that.
the charge was reimbursed by the travel credit even though I used Real Time Rewards.

Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Benefit terms vary by market because competitive circumstances are different. How is this relevant to American Express USA which has always explicitly excluded tickets and gift cards from reimbursement?
Well, seems like Amex is the one napping if we're going to look at competitive circumstances. Chase's Sapphire Reserve card has been eating their lunch. When's the last time you heard about Amex literally running out of physical cards to give to people because one of their products was so popular?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
No, it doesn't. On Delta, it shows as an "additional collection" (not as a ticket) and can/does get reimbursed for small denominations. I've had success with under $200 and no success with a much larger amount when applying gift cards to a ticket purchase.
Originally Posted by beachfan

why would this work. It will show like a regular ticket purchase with a $100 discount (assuming a $100 gift card).
Actually delta GC does show as "travel-airlines", from LAX to LAX.
I will try today to see if I can use the method I mentioned on delta and still get credit.

Perhaps AA is different, but hey, if the AA GC is not an option, somebody can give this a try and see what happens. lol
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:01 am

Reporting that my $250 AA gift card purchased on Jan 7th was reimbursed on Jan 9th (but only posted last night). This is for Visa Infinite.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:06 am
mia

.... VISA Infinite shows "GFT AA Y FEE"...
Issued by which bank?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by chrisfwm
Perhaps AA is different, but hey, if the AA GC is not an option, somebody can give this a try and see what happens. lol
We're a pretty creative bunch here. I bet we'll find a workaround if this ends up being the end of the gift card routine. I'm thinking there might be ways to incur miscellaneous charges (coded as such) on refundable tickets, which are then refunded in total, but the statement credit remains.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dhuey
We're a pretty creative bunch here. I bet we'll find a workaround if this ends up being the end of the gift card routine. I'm thinking there might be ways to incur miscellaneous charges (coded as such) on refundable tickets, which are then refunded in total, but the statement credit remains.
Yes - people are already doing this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:50 pm

I'm not surprised. I'm travel-geeky, but I know that there are hundreds if not thousands of more travel-geeky FlyerTalkers than I.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:52 pm

can you explain how people are doing this ?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:12 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

can you explain how people are doing this ?
See this POST from January 2018 in the United Airlines thread. Details matter, the process could be different on American.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by mia
See this POST from January 2018 in the United Airlines thread. Details matter, the process could be different on American.
So the Airline credit still gets triggered even though the transaction itself is ultimately credited since you cancel the ticket. Interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.