Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
Additional data points.

AA one way ticket for $124.30...$100 AA GC and $24.30 on AMEX PLT. - No reimbursement
AA one way ticket for $136.30...$100 AA GC and $36.30 on AMEX PLT. - No reimbursement

I did buy 8 AA award tickets and the $5.60 fee for each got reimbursed on the AMEX PLT.

This was my experience too upthread (i.e. no-go with gift cards plus Amex and also got the 5.60 reimbursed) Have Aspire, PLT and Gold Cards with credit. I will keep the 100 on the gold card with AA for use at an AC for lunch or something like that. PLT and Aspire will be promptly used elsewhere next year.

Safe Travels
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GTITAN
This was my experience too upthread (i.e. no-go with gift cards plus Amex and also got the 5.60 reimbursed) Have Aspire, PLT and Gold Cards with credit. I will keep the 100 on the gold card with AA for use at an AC for lunch or something like that. PLT and Aspire will be promptly used elsewhere next year.

Safe Travels
The interesting thing is that I used an AA GC and put $17.30 on my AMEX PLT and that got reimbursed, so I was surprised that my last two didn't. It makes me wonder if the threshold is $20.
GTITAN and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
The interesting thing is that I used an AA GC and put $17.30 on my AMEX PLT and that got reimbursed, so I was surprised that my last two didn't. It makes me wonder if the threshold is $20.
Possibly, but if the threshold is that low, gosh it would create a huge issue since it generally takes 72 hours to get a gift card active if memory serves if trying to do it fare by fare.

Safe Travels
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: reddit churning
Adding another DP of failed partial airfare/GC split fail. I'm not even sure I have a way to double dip this thing in 2020 at this point that makes sense.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:18 am

wrong thread
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:33 am

Success in getting credit for a mileage multiplier for an F ticket I'd already bought. 5,000 miles for ~ $160. Billed as Miscellaneous/Taxes. Credit came through two days later.

Is it the best use of my money? No. Is it better than nothing? Sure, I guess.

Anyway, success is better than not sucess.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Is it possible to buy one day passes to Admiral's Club in advance? Meant to change away from AA in January and didn't, so looking at leaving $$ on the table. Thought perhaps I could swing thru one of the Clubs at ORD and have passes for future use.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Has anyone tried purchasing miles? Does that trigger the reimbursement?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Buying miles might be reimbursed because AA handles their own sales, but purchasing in small quantities is very inefficient, and large transactions are unlikely to be mistaken for fees.
sdsearch and travelinfoo like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:21 am

$73.76 was charged for an international AA award ticket a week ago and looked like it would not be reimbursed for AA airline fee. Bummer!
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
On a ticket paid for by my company, selected MCE seats for $150 and charged to personal Amex Gold, $100 credit was applied 3 days later.

How are MR points awarded in a case like this?
Do I get 3x or 1x since it's not a 'flight' and just incidental fees? Fee just posted to my statement and it answered my own question...got 3x.
Do I get $150 worth of points, or $50 since $100 was applied as a credit?

Last edited by Jinxed_K; Sep 17, 2019 at 10:13 am
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Has anyone tried purchasing miles? Does that trigger the reimbursement?
I was just gonna ask the same thing. A friend just sent me a video recently posted on Youtube about how this guy bought miles from a kyosk in the Airport and it triggered his credit. I think his airline was JetBlue.. was just wondering if anyone has tried this with AA, if they even sell miles at the airport. Thanks.

Wasn't sure if the link for the video can be posted here. If anyone wants to see it, PM me and ill send you the link.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LukeIronWall
....AA, if they even sell miles at the airport...
It's not that AA or DL sells miles at the airport. They offer to sell a small amount of extra miles when you check-in for a flight online or at an airport kiosk. AA calls this Mileage Multiplier, and it is reimbursed.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by mia
It's not that AA or DL sells miles at the airport. They offer to sell a small amount of extra miles when you check-in for a flight online or at an airport kiosk. AA calls this Mileage Multiplier, and it is reimbursed.
Thanks MIA, I take the value is below good since it isn't talked about more often?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cliburn
You can also get reimbursed for $40 500 mile upgrade "stickers". I extiguished by credit by buying 5 of these one at a time,
From where we are in late 2019, this appears to be the best use of the credit for those who aren't flying AA between now and the end of the year. The e-500's don't expire, right?

Maybe a few upgrades + an AAdmiral's club daypass. Can I buy a daypass online? (Obviously not one that expires.)

I'm Gold so upgrades don't always clear, but if the 500's never expire that's okay. They'll *eventually* clear!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.