Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by suziemay
I could be talked into it. Do they expire?
no they don’t expire. Clearly stated on the T&C on the giftcard page if you want to confirm.

Do you have any unused amex credits ? While seeing the charge coding would definitely help, it would be most beneficial if the tester had unused airline credits.

I would test it myself as I fly AA so giftcards are like cash to me but I already used all my Amex credits
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

no they don’t expire. Clearly stated on the T&C on the giftcard page if you want to confirm.

Do you have any unused amex credits ? While seeing the charge coding would definitely help, it would be most beneficial if the tester had unused airline credits.

I would test it myself as I fly AA so giftcards are like cash to me but I already used all my Amex credits
Yes, $300 (across Platinum and Gold)!!! OK, will give it a shot and report back ^
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:08 am

June 11 - Purchased $100 virtual gift card using Personal Amex Gold

I'm thinking I may be SOL, because the pending transaction shows a Tulsa, OK address:
AA ARC
7645 E 63RD ST STE 600
AMERICAN AIRLINES-CCS
TULSA
OK 74133-1249
www.aa.com
When I previously received the credit, it was a Fort Worth, TX address, similar to the address in the Reddit link. But I will come back and updates folks nonetheless. In the past, the credit posted within 2 business days.

Everyone cross your fingers and toes
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold

I'm thinking I may be SOL, because the pending transaction shows a Tulsa, OK address:
AA ARC
7645 E 63RD ST STE 600
AMERICAN AIRLINES-CCS
TULSA
OK 74133-1249
www.aa.com
When I previously received the credit, it was a Fort Worth, TX address, similar to the address in the Reddit link. But I will come back and updates folks nonetheless. In the past, the credit posted within 2 business days.

thats what AA vacations post as. I understand it’s not the same thing exactly but it’s a valid charge for 5X points.

is giftcard still on the charge description once it posts ?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:35 pm

AA ARC
7645 E 63RD ST STE 600
AMERICAN AIRLINES-CCS
TULSA
OK 74133-1249
www.aa.com

Seems like pending as AA ARC and posting as American Airlines has been a thing for long time. Wouldn't take that as an indication either way.
See: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...2598&query=arc

edit: Forgot that I can't just link searches on vbulletin. Just search this thread for "ARC".

Last edited by Roona; Jun 11, 2019 at 8:57 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:57 am

outdated

Thanks for the accepting the dare.

FYI: The crux is in the coding of the purchase. In Feb AA identified it as gift card when it used to come in as MISCELLANEOUS at Amex. If you follow through check your charge at Amex online. The MISC category should trigger the credit about 2 days later.

Last edited by Saturn; Jun 13, 2019 at 9:11 am Reason: outdated
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:26 pm

Well... I gave it a shot. Went pending as AA ARC and posted as this. There's nothing identifying the transaction as GC, however, comparing with my previous GC reimbursements, there's also no line identifying it as misc taxes/fees.

Originally Posted by AA GC in Dec 2018
Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)
Guess we'll see in a few days whether the credit triggers.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:08 am

Got a new Schwab Amex Plat in May....I'm very familar w the AA gift card /Amex deal from other Amex cards. I screwed up and assumed AA gift card was still working so I selected AA as my incidental reimbursement airline of choice (didn't check forums). Bought one $100 virtual AA card Jun 11 and (after catching up on FT and Reddit forums) am expecting not to get credited....Interesting data point, however... my "counter" inside the Amex benefits portal says I've used $100 of my $200 incidental credits and the very nice Amex CSR says the $100 credit is pending and should show up soon??? Not sure if this is unique to the Schwab version of the Amex Plat or a brand new development on the way AA gift cards are posted. FYI the transaction posted (not in pending any more) as "Additional Information: 20190612 AA.COM". It does not say "gift card" anywhere on the description of the transaction and actually has an AA ticket # assigned to the transaction. I'll follow up again if the $100 incidental credit actually does credit successfully....obviously, I still have my doubts.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by mm93991
Bought one $100 virtual AA card Jun 11 and (after catching up on FT and Reddit forums) am expecting not to get credited....Interesting data point, however... my "counter" inside the Amex benefits portal says I've used $100 of my $200 incidental credits and the very nice Amex CSR says the $100 credit is pending and should show up soon???
There should be no difference between cards, including Personal Gold. It's understandable to have doubts but what you and Roona write is actually encouraging. It matches the MCC that others have seen on Citi AA cards with statement credit after buying a GC from AA.com. Who knows, maybe they have been messing around with their coding and gotten rid of the old MISCELLANEOUS altogether.

I will assume you're not trolling us and will report back if and when you see the green light on your Amex activity. If that happens I will go next and buy a 100 on P2's Plat. I didn't switch her airline yet because I thought I'd rather spend an hour with her card at an airport kiosk offering complete strangers to pay for their bags in exchange for cash.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone been able to use the airline fee for upfaring from BE to Economy?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Roona

Well... I gave it a shot. Went pending as AA ARC and posted as this. There's nothing identifying the transaction as GC, however, comparing with my previous GC reimbursements, there's also no line identifying it as misc taxes/fees.

Guess we'll see in a few days whether the credit triggers.
Success! No credit yet, but my annual credit counter went down by $50.
mia, Statman, Diplomatico and 11 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Roona
Success! No credit yet, but my annual credit counter went down by $50.
Did you use the same URL from the Wiki? I'm about to give it a shot as well. Thanks for reporting back!
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by andreraw
Did you use the same URL from the Wiki? I'm about to give it a shot as well. Thanks for reporting back!
I used giftcards.aa.com
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
According to this article on DOC, there are DPs suggesting gift cards trigger the credit again.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: United 1K | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Titanium Elite | Caesars Diamond | MGM Gold |Hyatt Globalist
The DoC article is quoting this thread and a Reddit thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.