Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by kgkg
Can AA reward fees and reward cancellation fees be reimbursed by AMEX?
I have this question too
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
I looked at the wiki but just to be clear when it comes to resort credit and you talking about the right rate all you mean is booking directly with hotel and avoiding advance rates at us domestic properties correct? Want to make sure I didn't mess up my recent booking.
It has to be one of the 226 resort hotels for the hilton aspire credit. Click below and scroll down
https://www3.hilton.com/en/resorts/index.html
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by tommy14
Hahaha, this was remaining balance paid with AMEX after applying AA GCs to airfare purchase
i wonder what the amount limit would be to trigger the credit?

I have $100 gc and we are thinking about going to LAS in April. We will be buying 3-4 tickets but I wonder if I should try to get the $200 amount to be triggered and credited on Plat?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Assuming you don't actually incur any fees, what is the consensus on best way to redeem the $200 Amex credit now that gift card no longer works. And don't say switch to xxx airlines... that's too easy

Stockpile 500 mile upgrades (which never clears)?
Buy day pass to AAdmiral Club for strangers you meet on the DFW air train?
Buy AA miles (which you cannot redeem because there is never award inventory when and where you want to go)?
Change your ticket just for fun (mess with AA revenue yield management for free)?
Buy drinks on board for the poor guy/gal stuck in the last row middle seat of 738 MAX?
fotoflyer88 and mctravel1 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bzcat
Assuming you don't actually incur any fees, what is the consensus on best way to redeem the $200 Amex credit now that gift card no longer works. And don't say switch to xxx airlines... that's too easy

Stockpile 500 mile upgrades (which never clears)?
Buy day pass to AAdmiral Club for strangers you meet on the DFW air train?
Buy AA miles (which you cannot redeem because there is never award inventory when and where you want to go)?
Change your ticket just for fun (mess with AA revenue yield management for free)?
Buy drinks on board for the poor guy/gal stuck in the last row middle seat of 738 MAX?
I thought you could not buy AA miles and use the airline credit?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Red259
I thought you could not buy AA miles and use the airline credit?
It could work because AA does not outsource mileage purchases to a third party. The problem is that buying miles is only cost effective if you buy a large amount, because that is the way AA structures their promotions. A large purchase is less likely to be mistaken for a fee.

This works:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...multiplier.jsp
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:21 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by wj2005

i wonder what the amount limit would be to trigger the credit?

I have $100 gc and we are thinking about going to LAS in April. We will be buying 3-4 tickets but I wonder if I should try to get the $200 amount to be triggered and credited on Plat?
I was thinking the same thing. If you pay $100 with a gift card and have a $200 balance I wonder if you could claim the credit this way. No real cost to trying this if you are buying the ticket anyway.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
I have this question too
It looks like AA taxes on award tickets are not reimbursable. I have purchased 3 awards on Feb 16 for $5.60 each. All posted as
Category: Travel - Airline
with flight details and ticket numbers.
I assume agent
booking fees at the counter and over the phone and also award reinstatement fees are reimbursable but this service is free for EXP - cannot check that!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred

Here is a summary of which ones still give the credit. Also, The bank of America premier rewards still works with AA:Airline

Last edited by smith80678; Feb 28, 2019 at 6:18 am Reason: change
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Alex_I
It looks like AA taxes on award tickets are not reimbursable. I have purchased 3 awards on Feb 16 for $5.60 each. All posted as
Category: Travel - Airline
with flight details and ticket numbers.
I assume agent
booking fees at the counter and over the phone and also award reinstatement fees are reimbursable but this service is free for EXP - cannot check that!
Are there any other DP on this? I've seen now both ways. I have $52 in award fees to book today, and as I have $150 left in Amex I'd rather use it, but if it won't work I'll just use my City National since they for sure reimburse it.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by smith80678

Here is a summary of which ones still give the credit. Also, The bank of America premier rewards still works with AA:Airline
It seems to me the easiest thing for most Plat cardholders to do is switch from AA to Delta or Southwest and get gift cards with one of those airlines. At least one report above on a customer service agent willing to make the switch even though it's past the January deadline for that. The gift cards don't expire, so the cardholder or someone close to them is sure to use them at some point.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by yoshapman
Are there any other DP on this? I've seen now both ways. I have $52 in award fees to book today, and as I have $150 left in Amex I'd rather use it, but if it won't work I'll just use my City National since they for sure reimburse it.
Book an award ticket about two weeks ago. Taxes and fees NO credited.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:44 am

Cancelled my Amex Platinum Business Card. Ridiculous new price ($595). No more GC's. What am I paying for? There are a couple of things I'll miss, but not worth the hike in fees. Who are they kidding?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lbotez
Cancelled my Amex Platinum Business Card. Ridiculous new price ($595). No more GC's. What am I paying for? There are a couple of things I'll miss, but not worth the hike in fees. Who are they kidding?
Obviously everyone needs to do the math for their own situation. For me there is still enough value to stay.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by lbotez
Still GCs on Delta and Southwest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.