Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dbatl
It has been established that the changes happened between Feb 6 - 8, 2019. So if anyone wants to know if it applies they need to post purchase transactions AFTER that date for accurate information. Any data points before the Feb 6 - 8 date is of no relevance anymore.
Agreed. Unfortunately, this has historically been a very inefficient thread with lots and lots of unnecessary chatter. Lots of folks here post "I'm about to make a gift card purchase and I'll report back when I've done it." Followed by another post of "I made the purchase last night but have not seen the credit yet." Followed by, "Its been three days since I made the purchase and I still haven't seen the credit. What should I do? Should I call Amex?" Then finally, "The credit posted today. Whew!"

So we often end up with 4 or 5 posts from the individual where one would have sufficed after the fact, "I purchased a gift card for $X value, on X date, and the credit posted on X date." Done.

Anyhow, I agree with your thesis and to other would be posters, we now have a pretty established window of when this change appears to have taken place. So at this point, posts about purchases made and credits received in January 2019 are largely irrelevant and just cluttering up the thread. Before posting, please consider whether your data point is actually adding value/information to the current conversation.

Regards
dw, sdsearch, mctravel1 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:02 am

My Options if $100 w/Amex if $100 aa.com not received?

purchased $ 100 aa.com online gift card about 8 days ago & still not credit. any suggestions what to do? thanks
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:02 am

The last three years I've made this purchase ($100 gift cards x 2), it was coded on my Amex Platinum as "Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)". Credited back every time within three days.

The purchase I made on Feb 10 was coded as "Document Type: GIFT CERTIFICATE". Not credited back.

Thankfully I decided to only do 1 but this is obviously bad timing on my part. Oh well, if this ride has come to an end, I'll just find another way or another airline to use the credit on.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by chrisfwm
Actually delta GC does show as "travel-airlines", from LAX to LAX.
I will try today to see if I can use the method I mentioned on delta and still get credit.

Perhaps AA is different, but hey, if the AA GC is not an option, somebody can give this a try and see what happens. lol
FYI, works with delta. Wonder if anyone tried with AA.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by flyertalkjim5259
purchased $ 100 aa.com online gift card about 8 days ago & still not credit. any suggestions what to do? thanks
If you have been reading recent posts in this thread you will see that AA just recently changed the way they code gift card purchases. If your transaction shows Document Type: GIFT CERTIFICATE it will likely not be reimbursed. You should redeem it towards an AA flight, and use the card to make some other type of reimbursable expense.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Airfare is not reimbursable. You may be able to make a small airfare transaction appear to be a reimbursable fee, but we have no reports specifically for AA.
True. Recently paid the award ticket fee using Amex Platinum and Even that posted as ticket with itinerary.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 4678g7
True. Recently paid the award ticket fee using Amex Platinum and Even that posted as ticket with itinerary.
It works on DL - I received 4x $5.60 on 4 one-way domestic awards. I believe someone just posted similar experiences - paid DL award ticket taxes and all got reimbursed.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:49 pm

Since AA GC are out, what DPs are out there for what Amex WILL reimburse?

Obviously baggage fees, food and drink but what else? The $75 close in ticketing? (Sadly, I just paid two of those with my Blue Business Plus if that's the case).
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:10 pm

Reimbursement - Cobranded AMEX

Does anyone know if it would be the same case for cobranded AMEX cards such as the PenFed Pathfinder or the FNBO TravelElite?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by imytch
Does anyone know if it would be the same case for cobranded AMEX cards such as the PenFed Pathfinder or the FNBO TravelElite?
Those are NOT cobranded Amex cards.

Co-branded cards are cards that are still issued by American Express directly. Examples : Delta, Schwab Platinum , Mercedes Benz Platinum (RIP) Ameriprise.

You are talking about cards cards that are issued by another bank but run on the Amex network. This is not the same thing at all.

You would need to research the T&C for each of those cards
pallhedge likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Sooooooo,

I chatted with Amex last night about my 2 x $100 GCs and 1 x $50 GC purchases on 1/31. I asked if there was something wrong with Amex reimbursement process since the charges made on my Aspire weren’t reimbursed and that it usually takes 2-3 days to see it. They asked what was actually charged for $100, $100 and $50, and I said cancellation fees since these GCs were coded as Misc.

After a long wait, the CSR told me that the credit request was accepted and that I should see the credit within 5 business days. This morning the whole counter shows it will renew again in 2020.

I was very friendly, used a lot of ! and emojis lol
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Javier1704
Sooooooo,

I chatted with Amex last night about my 2 x $100 GCs and 1 x $50 GC purchases on 1/31. I asked if there was something wrong with Amex reimbursement process since the charges made on my Aspire weren’t reimbursed and that it usually takes 2-3 days to see it. They asked what was actually charged for $100, $100 and $50, and I said cancellation fees since these GCs were coded as Misc.

After a long wait, the CSR told me that the credit request was accepted and that I should see the credit within 5 business days. This morning the whole counter shows it will renew again in 2020.

I was very friendly, used a lot of ! and emojis lol
Glad you got it but don't think it helps in the future when its coded as GC.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by QtownDave
Glad you got it but don't think it helps in the future when its coded as GC.
Agree.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

Those are NOT cobranded Amex cards.

Co-branded cards are cards that are still issued by American Express directly. Examples : Delta, Schwab Platinum , Mercedes Benz Platinum (RIP) Ameriprise.

You are talking about cards cards that are issued by another bank but run on the Amex network. This is not the same thing at all.

You would need to research the T&C for each of those cards
So you broke the #1 rule of Fight Club and you "called" the bank.

A lesson for the lurkers here, just because it worked out for this guy does not mean you should do it. This game is getting tighter because of people like him getting eyes on their accounts and banks asking ... is going on.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by temporarilypoor
So you broke the #1 rule of Fight Club and you "called" the bank.

A lesson for the lurkers here, just because it worked out for this guy does not mean you should do it. This game is getting tighter because of people like him getting eyes on their accounts and banks asking ... is going on.
why am I quoted in your reply ?

I never called the bank. I know better then that. You either get the credit or you dont. It's against the T&C for GC's so no point in calling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.