Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Lwrandall
I purchased an AA gift card online for $100 with Amex Hilton Aspire on January 31. Still no reimbursement (Feb 12). Coded as Misc. Fee/taxes. Should I worry?
I dont know what is taking so long. My aspire credit cleared from Jan just fine and it coded that way. Maybe with February being a shorter month there is a delay in processing. All you can do is wait.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by dongwenxuan
The transaction was classified as "Travel - Airline" and the document type was "MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)" the detail had a passenger name, a date of departure, and a ticket number.
Still no reimbursement as of today, almost 30 days now. Should I buy another $100 eGC or should I chat with Amex to find out?
By all means chat Amex and explain to them how you are outraged that you didn't get the credit for a gift card which is something that is specifically excluded from the terms for getting the airline credit. Buying another giftcard until the dust settles seems like the last thing to do. No idea why you didn't get the credit in the first place. Maybe you didn't select an airline ahead of time or you selected it immediately prior to making the purchase which has given people trouble. Either way calling amex isn't going to help you.
afrugal1, Tanic, Statman and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Purchased $250AA eGC 02/01 coded as misc, reimbursed 02/05
Purchased $250AA eGC 02/09 coded as gift certificate, counter still full.
Still too early for credit to post but not keeping hopes up.

Guessing the change happened around 02/06 to 02/09. Will post with updates if any.
dreamspeed likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by hyukyoo
Purchased $250AA eGC 02/01 coded as misc, reimbursed 02/05
Purchased $250AA eGC 02/09 coded as gift certificate, counter still full.
Still too early for credit to post but not keeping hopes up.

Guessing the change happened around 02/06 to 02/09. Will post with updates if any.
Yea I think your guess about when the change happened is right. I think even 2/6 may have been safe. All we can do is hope at this point but I would be surprised if anyone gets the credits going forward. I'm annoyed because I have $200 airline credits now and had I known about this change I would have waited until I had a flight scheduled to decide which airline I wanted to select for the credit. Its absurd they make you lock in to one airline for the year without being able to change it.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
Its absurd they make you lock in to one airline for the year without being able to change it.
If you haven't used any of your airline credit yet, you can live chat with amex and have your airline changed anytime of the year. I've done it a couple times (on diff cards)
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by travelbugging
If you haven't used any of your airline credit yet, you can live chat with amex and have your airline changed anytime of the year. I've done it a couple times (on diff cards)
Wow. Thanks that is a great tip! Wish they just let you do it yourself, but if they will change it for me I'll take that.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by gbc9174
Miscellaneous. I didn't have the new Gift certificate description..
I made 2 identical purchases on Feb 3rd and Feb 8th of $50 GC.

Feb 3rd posted as miscellaneous and was credited, Feb 8th was posted as GC and still not credited, somewhere between these 2 dates AA changed the details of GC purchase.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:03 am

Does anyone know if Delta or Southwest is having the same issue or is this limited to AA for the moment?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Red259
Does anyone know if Delta or Southwest?
They each have their own thread, that would be the place to observe.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:47 am

Try this and see if it works

1. Find flight ticket, let's say it costs A.
2. Buy gift card worth B, ensure A-B is around 100 or less (amex reimbursement mechanism seems to be number based)
3. Apply the gift card, put the remainder balance on amex and it will then be credited for the amount of A-B.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by chrisfwm
Try this and see if it works

1. Find flight ticket, let's say it costs A.
2. Buy gift card worth B, ensure A-B is around 100 or less (amex reimbursement mechanism seems to be number based)
3. Apply the gift card, put the remainder balance on amex and it will then be credited for the amount of A-B.

Is this something you have successfully done or just asking the forum to be the data point?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Is this something you have successfully done or just asking the forum to be the data point?
Asking, some in delta thread said they get reimbursed for ticket price around 100. So it may as well be that amex system will credit anything around or less than 100 from an airline. Worth a try if the AA GC is not an option.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:27 am

After my previous post of me doing a test on my biz Plat for $200 and getting reimbursed I went ahead and did the rest of my biz Plat and normal platinum card

Purchase 2/11 $200
Posted 2/13 coded as gift certificate
​​​​​​
My previous coded as miscellaneous tax/fess, won't get my hopes up on this one I guess pay with point it is (don't know if I can) or P2 will be really upset that $600 went missing lol, maybe they fixed the $200 codes but the $100 or less are good. Should of done one at a time lol. I would wait for more DP to come in or do less.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Semper0369
<snip> I would wait for more DP to come in or do less.
If the data feed coming from AA to Amex is coding as gift card, then doing a smaller purchase amount (e.g. $50) likely will not make any difference.

Regards
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
If the data feed coming from AA to Amex is coding as gift card, then doing a smaller purchase amount (e.g. $50) likely will not make any difference.

Regards
Ya that's true sucks, but o well. Would love to see someone on here say they got reimbursed with the new coding, will bring hope to the world haha. If nothing happens in about a week going to bs my way into chat and see if I get a nice agent that will reimburse my dogs flying fees or really expensive seat assignments lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.