Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Purchased 2 x $100 AA eGC and 1 x $50 eGC on Thursday and still not reimbursed or counter depleted. It has always been reimbursed in 2 days for me. Not worried or anything, just a data point since I haven't seen anyone reporting positive outcomes in February.

Also, paid the ticket difference (around $117) using my Platinum... let's see if that gets reimbursed.

Will update soon.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Jelly of the month club
I'm seeing the same as Javier1704 on my Platinum. 2 x $100 eGC on Thursday 31 and still not reimbursed and the counter showing $200 for AA. I'm hoping its a delay in whatever process Amex uses to sweep for credits.
Javier1704 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Same for me on my Hilton, $100 on 1/31 and not reimbursed or having $250 go down as of this morning 2/5.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:38 am

i am not getting the reimbursement as well. used platinum on 1/31 for $100 and nothing as of 12:30 pm today.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:06 pm

My Gold card $100 AA GC from 2/1 does show that the credit was used up though under the benefits even though the credit didn't hit yet, so must be something with the end of January not processing yet.
Javier1704 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:53 pm

My Gold dining credit counter went down today for a purchase on Feb 1. Looks like the delay is mainly with Aspire and maybe plat.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by yoshapman
Same for me on my Hilton, $100 on 1/31 and not reimbursed or having $250 go down as of this morning 2/5.
Also seeing this for $100 (Gold card).

Last edited by nall; Feb 6, 2019 at 2:23 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:27 pm

AMEX Biz Platinum

2/2 - Purchased $200 AA gift card
2/5 - Reimbursed
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: Delta Sky Miles | Marriott Bonvoy | Radisson Int'l Rewards
Purchased $200 AA EGC on 2/5... No reduction in fee. Also incurred $100 in taxes associated with booking a flight with points. No action there either although I suppose those were in concert with booking travel.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by nocigar
Purchased $200 AA EGC on 2/5... No reduction in fee. Also incurred $100 in taxes associated with booking a flight with points. No action there either although I suppose those were in concert with booking travel.
Sorry but I am totally confused by your post! You purchased a $200 AA EGC gift card.....and were expecting a reduction in fee for what? (or are you using "reduction in fee" as meaning you did not receive a reimbursement of the $200 on your credit card?)

Taxes are always associated with a reward booking so this has nothing to do with the credit card fee reimbursement.

The real question is....did you get reimbursed for the gift card? If so, all is good and really all that you should expect. If no reimbursement, give it some time since you just purchased on 2/5 and today is 2/7.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by cliff1127
AMEX Biz Platinum

2/2 - Purchased $200 AA gift card
2/5 - Reimbursed
Good to see one positive DP. I haven’t been reimbursed yet.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:15 am

BUYER BEWARE of the fine print!!!

Maybe just me since this is the first time I have used AA gift cards but I just tried to make a reservation and use several of my gift cards. HOWEVER there was NO option under the payment section for the gift card payment. Called AA and the call center in Mexico said that you could NOT use gift cards as payment IF you picked a preferred seat as part of your reservation. What a joke!

This seriously impacts my willingness to pick AA as the airline for my credit card reimbursements. I have to book with a regular seat to use the gift card and then I have to go back into the reservation to book a preferred seat (and hope it is still available). I just noticed that the two seats in the first row of Economy I wanted on the transcontinental LAX-JFK flight I was trying to book are now taken so this is IMHO a huge issue with the AA GC IMHO.

Why would AA care how you use the GC? Money is money regardless of base fare or if I am willing to pay extra $ to book a preferred seat.

Last edited by christianj; Feb 7, 2019 at 7:29 am
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by christianj
BUYER BEWARE!!!

Maybe just me since this is the first time I have used AA gift cards but I just tried to make a reservation and use several of my gift cards. HOWEVER there was NO option under the payment section for the gift card payment. Called AA and the call center in Mexico said that you could NOT use gift cards as payment IF you picked a preferred seat as part of your reservation. What a joke! Where is that listed in the T&C?

Evidently you have to make a "regular" seat reservation to use your gift cards and then go back in or call to book the preferred seat you want. Not gonna happen! I'm supposed to book a seat on a flight I am not willing to sit in and then HOPE that when I go back in or call that I actually can get the seat I want. This is ridiculous and needs to be put in the T&C of the gift cards.

If this is true then can you even pay for the preferred seat with a gift card and if not then it should definitely be in the T&C.
The wiki here clearly states:

”The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else. Use this link to purchase: http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

You have to pay for the ticket with GCs AND then the extra fees for a preferred seating with your CC.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Javier1704

The wiki here clearly states:

”The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else. Use this link to purchase: http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

You have to pay for the ticket with GCs AND then the extra fees for a preferred seating with your CC.
I saw that after I had the issue but clearly due to all the fine print I did NOT notice it before even though I thought I read all of the WIKI....hence my comment....buyer beware of fine print!

Last edited by christianj; Feb 7, 2019 at 8:03 am
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:56 am

Still the same this morning. $100 GC on Hilton from 1/31 didn't credit or even have counter go down, but 2/1 $100 GC on Amex Gold credit posted on 2/5. What do people do if it doesn't post? Has anyone had an AA credit post on the Hilton card in February?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.