Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:39 pm

You can't dispute this charge on the Amex site, try and see what happens. I called American about this and they said this has happened to people who bought gift cards on 1/9. They are trying to clear it up. I am one of the users affected, bought multiple cards on different cards. Just came here to read up on this. Fingers crossed we still get reimubursed!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:42 pm

Must've only been for the 9th, because I purchases a single GC on the 10th and I only have a single $100 under pending.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Superorb
Must've only been for the 9th, because I purchases a single GC on the 10th and I only have a single $100 under pending.
It may be only the 9th...but, do understand that there was only a single $100 pending charge...it wasn't 2 x $100 charges until they posted. That's why no one knew there was an issue until the charge(s) posted.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by oscarmad
You can't dispute this charge on the Amex site, try and see what happens. I called American about this and they said this has happened to people who bought gift cards on 1/9. They are trying to clear it up. I am one of the users affected, bought multiple cards on different cards. Just came here to read up on this. Fingers crossed we still get reimubursed!
I agree. Just tried to do the same. The Amex system pushed me back to AA. (By the way, there is some poor guy in the Treasury dept. at AA whose office phone number is on everyone's statement -- he, alas, can only pass along the main AA number.) At AA, I gave them the ticket number (same on both charges) and the reference numbers (different). After consultation with a supervisor, I was told to go to the refunds web page and put in for a refund, supposedly explaining as well the one-ticket-number-two-reference-number situation, and that this would be researched.

Meanwhile, while that goes on, back at Amex ...

Could you have designed something better to shed light on something that, well, doesn't look so great under the lights?

Also, in most respects, my fear continues to be not that we won't be reimbursed, but that we will be reimbursed, for a charge that will disappear, followed by the reimbursement, never to return!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by FindAWay
It may be only the 9th...but, do understand that there was only a single $100 pending charge...it wasn't 2 x $100 charges until they posted. That's why no one knew there was an issue until the charge(s) posted.
Ahh. I'll report back once things post.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I agree. Just tried to do the same. The Amex system pushed me back to AA. (By the way, there is some poor guy in the Treasury dept. at AA whose office phone number is on everyone's statement -- he, alas, can only pass along the main AA number.) At AA, I gave them the ticket number (same on both charges) and the reference numbers (different). After consultation with a supervisor, I was told to go to the refunds web page and put in for a refund, supposedly explaining as well the one-ticket-number-two-reference-number situation, and that this would be researched.
Hello. I too am having an issue with this. As I was drafting, received an update from AA and she says AA is working with Amex to get the transactions straightened out. All I did is reply to email for the gift card receipt that I got on 1/9, explained that I was double charged for one GC, and wondered how to get a refund.

As others posted on here, how the transaction appears on Amex is different than previous similar charges from AA. I processed a separate GC purchase on 1/6 and it was credited 1/8, but the transaction details are different.

No idea, but yeah, what a mess. The other challenge is that this card is in my wife's name, and getting her to handle this mess will not be easy. It was a nice reply from AA saying they are working on it, so hopefully it resolves on its own.

But if you can send the link for AA's dispute page, that would be helpful in case this doesn't clear up.

I don't want to have to involve Amex on this if I don't have to. Something tells me this will only help Amex close the loophole for GC purchases.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:24 pm

Since it hasn't been 72 hours yet and egift cards are not activated yet, I wonder if we could try and get a refund for them from AA. I know their policy states no refunds on gift cards, but it won't hurt to try. If anything, The charges might get reversed and then wait a few days and purchase it again and hopefully get the reimbursement from Amex. Every one who has this issue, including myself, purchased this gift card on 1/9.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ehuang03
... try and get a refund for them from AA. ...
I think this will only add necessary complication. Right now this is a truly simple problem to understand. One purchase has generated two charges. Give AA some time to work out a process. This is a routine event, but it will become complicated if we start tinkering.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I think this will only add necessary complication. Right now this is a truly simple problem to understand. One purchase has generated two charges. Give AA some time to work out a process. This is a routine event, but it will become complicated if we start tinkering.
Yea, it's a simple problem, but do you think once AA figures it out, they will change what the purchase was coded as? Is that even possible? Everyone who got reimbursed seems like it was coded as misc, but for the ones who are having this issue, it's coded as, "Airline - Travel". They could fix the problem, take the duplicate charges off and we might not get the credit from Amex for the original one.

That's the only reason why I brought the refund up. If it was just a glitch for the 9th, then if we could cancel everything all together and once AA fixes it, we could go back and purchase the gift cards and it'll be coded correctly and we'll get the credit for Amex. I'm probably going to wait it out. It was just something that crossed my mind. If I get stuck with the 200, I'll get stuck with it. I plan on traveling anyways, so it'll just go towards that.

On the other hand, if AA does fix it and we never get the Amex credit from the first purchase, wouldn't we be able to go buy it and then get the credit afterwards for the second purchase?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
If your purchase was the second of two $100 *cough* seat upgrades *cough*, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. Worst case, if AA does not reimburse for whatever reason, you have moved $100 from one pocket to another. The reimbursement can be pocketed another day.

The weird world, as I tried to explain earlier, is for those of us for whom this was the first $100 card usage. Ironically (paradoxically?), the problem comes if this double charge triggers two reimbursements. Yes, we can get one of them taken off, eventually, but we won't have anything to show for that second $100, and will have to trust the Amex system to credit us yet again on a later $100 charge.

The paradox here is that I am dreading seeing, tomorrow, two reimbursements. Better none!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:27 pm

I called AA just for the heck of it and asked why was there a duplicate charge on my purchase. Before I finished, the rep told me, they just heard about it today and are working with Amex to get it fixed. The same response another poster got. Afterwards I asked, it's coded as a travel, ticket purchase at the moment, will the purchase be coded differently after it's fixed to misc or something else? The rep told me, it's most likely will stay coded the way it was originally purchased. Doesn't sound good.

Last edited by s0ju; Jan 11, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:36 pm

yeah sounds like Amex might be closing this loophole :/ just my luck that i decided to try it and purchased a $100 cert on the 10th
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ehuang03
I called AA just for the heck of it and asked why was there a duplicate charge on my purchase. Before I finished, the rep told me, they just heard about it today and are working with Amex to get it fixed. The same response another poster got. Afterwards I asked, it's coded as a travel, ticket purchase at the moment, will the purchase be coded differently after it's fixed to misc or something else? The rep told me, it's most likely will stay coded the way it was originally purchased. Doesn't sound good.

My first $100 on Jan 5 (Category: Travel - Airline; Document Type: MISC. CHARGE ORDER (MCO)/PREPAID TICKET AUTH.) got the reimbursement on Jan 7

My second $100 (double charge) on Jan 9 (Category: Travel - Airline; Document Type: ADDITIONAL COLLECTION) is still waiting for reimbursement. Should be able to find out in two days.

My point is that a transaction coded as "Category: Travel" might still get reimbursement. It might be the "Document Type" that matters.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by giswqs
My first $100 on Jan 5 (Category: Travel - Airline; Document Type: MISC. CHARGE ORDER (MCO)/PREPAID TICKET AUTH.) got the reimbursement on Jan 7

My second $100 (double charge) on Jan 9 (Category: Travel - Airline; Document Type: ADDITIONAL COLLECTION) is still waiting for reimbursement. Should be able to find out in two days.

My point is that a transaction coded as "Category: Travel" might still get reimbursement. It might be the "Document Type" that matters.
Nice, thanks for letting us know that. So it's the document type. I would of guessed that after two days, if we would of gotten reimbursed, it would of happened already. At least for the two legit posted transaction and all AA or Amex would do is fix the duplicate. Let's hope it all works out in the end. It's just the waiting game for us now.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:01 pm

I'm having the worst luck with churning so far in 2017. Couldn't get approved for second round of new AA citi card. This happens with my 1/9 AA gift purchases. Still waiting for 3 weeks to pass to get them to reimburse for $200 SWA gift card charge I made 1/2. It is documented as freight in my account so I know I can get them to do it manually but still it's not making it easy. Sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.