Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 4:35 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.

Purchase cards HERE

The American Express terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards from the $200 fee reimbursement benefit:
Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
However, there are numerous reports of successful reimbursements of gift card purchases of $100 face value or less. There are numerous reports of unsuccessful reimbursements of gift cards purchases of more than $100.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2014, click HERE.

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at GiftCards@aa.com. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See what is currently post 519 for first details of this.

Post 1126 proves to be current, regarding NJ residents. YMMV, until there are more DP's.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 11, 17, 1:39 pm

You can't dispute this charge on the Amex site, try and see what happens. I called American about this and they said this has happened to people who bought gift cards on 1/9. They are trying to clear it up. I am one of the users affected, bought multiple cards on different cards. Just came here to read up on this. Fingers crossed we still get reimubursed!
Old Jan 11, 17, 1:42 pm

Must've only been for the 9th, because I purchases a single GC on the 10th and I only have a single $100 under pending.
Old Jan 11, 17, 1:50 pm

Programs: Air: WN CP | Hotels - Gold: Choice, CC, MR, & SPG; Hotels - Dia: HH
Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
Must've only been for the 9th, because I purchases a single GC on the 10th and I only have a single $100 under pending.
It may be only the 9th...but, do understand that there was only a single $100 pending charge...it wasn't 2 x $100 charges until they posted. That's why no one knew there was an issue until the charge(s) posted.
Old Jan 11, 17, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob
Originally Posted by oscarmad View Post
You can't dispute this charge on the Amex site, try and see what happens. I called American about this and they said this has happened to people who bought gift cards on 1/9. They are trying to clear it up. I am one of the users affected, bought multiple cards on different cards. Just came here to read up on this. Fingers crossed we still get reimubursed!
I agree. Just tried to do the same. The Amex system pushed me back to AA. (By the way, there is some poor guy in the Treasury dept. at AA whose office phone number is on everyone's statement -- he, alas, can only pass along the main AA number.) At AA, I gave them the ticket number (same on both charges) and the reference numbers (different). After consultation with a supervisor, I was told to go to the refunds web page and put in for a refund, supposedly explaining as well the one-ticket-number-two-reference-number situation, and that this would be researched.

Meanwhile, while that goes on, back at Amex ...

Could you have designed something better to shed light on something that, well, doesn't look so great under the lights?

Also, in most respects, my fear continues to be not that we won't be reimbursed, but that we will be reimbursed, for a charge that will disappear, followed by the reimbursement, never to return!
Old Jan 11, 17, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by FindAWay View Post
It may be only the 9th...but, do understand that there was only a single $100 pending charge...it wasn't 2 x $100 charges until they posted. That's why no one knew there was an issue until the charge(s) posted.
Ahh. I'll report back once things post.
Old Jan 11, 17, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries View Post
I agree. Just tried to do the same. The Amex system pushed me back to AA. (By the way, there is some poor guy in the Treasury dept. at AA whose office phone number is on everyone's statement -- he, alas, can only pass along the main AA number.) At AA, I gave them the ticket number (same on both charges) and the reference numbers (different). After consultation with a supervisor, I was told to go to the refunds web page and put in for a refund, supposedly explaining as well the one-ticket-number-two-reference-number situation, and that this would be researched.
Hello. I too am having an issue with this. As I was drafting, received an update from AA and she says AA is working with Amex to get the transactions straightened out. All I did is reply to email for the gift card receipt that I got on 1/9, explained that I was double charged for one GC, and wondered how to get a refund.

As others posted on here, how the transaction appears on Amex is different than previous similar charges from AA. I processed a separate GC purchase on 1/6 and it was credited 1/8, but the transaction details are different.

No idea, but yeah, what a mess. The other challenge is that this card is in my wife's name, and getting her to handle this mess will not be easy. It was a nice reply from AA saying they are working on it, so hopefully it resolves on its own.

But if you can send the link for AA's dispute page, that would be helpful in case this doesn't clear up.

I don't want to have to involve Amex on this if I don't have to. Something tells me this will only help Amex close the loophole for GC purchases.
Old Jan 11, 17, 3:24 pm

Since it hasn't been 72 hours yet and egift cards are not activated yet, I wonder if we could try and get a refund for them from AA. I know their policy states no refunds on gift cards, but it won't hurt to try. If anything, The charges might get reversed and then wait a few days and purchase it again and hopefully get the reimbursement from Amex. Every one who has this issue, including myself, purchased this gift card on 1/9.
Old Jan 11, 17, 3:32 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; VS, HH & SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ehuang03 View Post
... try and get a refund for them from AA. ...
I think this will only add necessary complication. Right now this is a truly simple problem to understand. One purchase has generated two charges. Give AA some time to work out a process. This is a routine event, but it will become complicated if we start tinkering.
Old Jan 11, 17, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by mia View Post
I think this will only add necessary complication. Right now this is a truly simple problem to understand. One purchase has generated two charges. Give AA some time to work out a process. This is a routine event, but it will become complicated if we start tinkering.
Yea, it's a simple problem, but do you think once AA figures it out, they will change what the purchase was coded as? Is that even possible? Everyone who got reimbursed seems like it was coded as misc, but for the ones who are having this issue, it's coded as, "Airline - Travel". They could fix the problem, take the duplicate charges off and we might not get the credit from Amex for the original one.

That's the only reason why I brought the refund up. If it was just a glitch for the 9th, then if we could cancel everything all together and once AA fixes it, we could go back and purchase the gift cards and it'll be coded correctly and we'll get the credit for Amex. I'm probably going to wait it out. It was just something that crossed my mind. If I get stuck with the 200, I'll get stuck with it. I plan on traveling anyways, so it'll just go towards that.

On the other hand, if AA does fix it and we never get the Amex credit from the first purchase, wouldn't we be able to go buy it and then get the credit afterwards for the second purchase?
Old Jan 11, 17, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob
If your purchase was the second of two $100 *cough* seat upgrades *cough*, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. Worst case, if AA does not reimburse for whatever reason, you have moved $100 from one pocket to another. The reimbursement can be pocketed another day.

The weird world, as I tried to explain earlier, is for those of us for whom this was the first $100 card usage. Ironically (paradoxically?), the problem comes if this double charge triggers two reimbursements. Yes, we can get one of them taken off, eventually, but we won't have anything to show for that second $100, and will have to trust the Amex system to credit us yet again on a later $100 charge.

The paradox here is that I am dreading seeing, tomorrow, two reimbursements. Better none!
Old Jan 11, 17, 4:27 pm

I called AA just for the heck of it and asked why was there a duplicate charge on my purchase. Before I finished, the rep told me, they just heard about it today and are working with Amex to get it fixed. The same response another poster got. Afterwards I asked, it's coded as a travel, ticket purchase at the moment, will the purchase be coded differently after it's fixed to misc or something else? The rep told me, it's most likely will stay coded the way it was originally purchased. Doesn't sound good.

Last edited by ehuang03; Jan 11, 17 at 4:32 pm
Old Jan 11, 17, 4:36 pm

yeah sounds like Amex might be closing this loophole :/ just my luck that i decided to try it and purchased a $100 cert on the 10th
Old Jan 11, 17, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by ehuang03 View Post
I called AA just for the heck of it and asked why was there a duplicate charge on my purchase. Before I finished, the rep told me, they just heard about it today and are working with Amex to get it fixed. The same response another poster got. Afterwards I asked, it's coded as a travel, ticket purchase at the moment, will the purchase be coded differently after it's fixed to misc or something else? The rep told me, it's most likely will stay coded the way it was originally purchased. Doesn't sound good.

My first $100 on Jan 5 (Category: Travel - Airline; Document Type: MISC. CHARGE ORDER (MCO)/PREPAID TICKET AUTH.) got the reimbursement on Jan 7

My second $100 (double charge) on Jan 9 (Category: Travel - Airline; Document Type: ADDITIONAL COLLECTION) is still waiting for reimbursement. Should be able to find out in two days.

My point is that a transaction coded as "Category: Travel" might still get reimbursement. It might be the "Document Type" that matters.
Old Jan 11, 17, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by giswqs View Post
My first $100 on Jan 5 (Category: Travel - Airline; Document Type: MISC. CHARGE ORDER (MCO)/PREPAID TICKET AUTH.) got the reimbursement on Jan 7

My second $100 (double charge) on Jan 9 (Category: Travel - Airline; Document Type: ADDITIONAL COLLECTION) is still waiting for reimbursement. Should be able to find out in two days.

My point is that a transaction coded as "Category: Travel" might still get reimbursement. It might be the "Document Type" that matters.
Nice, thanks for letting us know that. So it's the document type. I would of guessed that after two days, if we would of gotten reimbursed, it would of happened already. At least for the two legit posted transaction and all AA or Amex would do is fix the duplicate. Let's hope it all works out in the end. It's just the waiting game for us now.
Old Jan 11, 17, 9:01 pm

I'm having the worst luck with churning so far in 2017. Couldn't get approved for second round of new AA citi card. This happens with my 1/9 AA gift purchases. Still waiting for 3 weeks to pass to get them to reimburse for $200 SWA gift card charge I made 1/2. It is documented as freight in my account so I know I can get them to do it manually but still it's not making it easy. Sigh.

Search this Thread