Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bought $100 Jan 5 PRG.

Previous DPs all show only 2 days lapse between purchase and credit, even those bought on the holiday Jan 2. Not my purchase on Jan 5th.

Still waiting for the credit as of Jan 8. Hope the delay is only due to the weekend and the credit would show up Mon/Tue.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
Bought $100 Jan 5 PRG.

Previous DPs all show only 2 days lapse between purchase and credit, even those bought on the holiday Jan 2. Not my purchase on Jan 5th.

Still waiting for the credit as of Jan 8. Hope the delay is only due to the weekend and the credit would show up Mon/Tue.
Mine didn't show up till third day, but the "posted" date was second day. I'm sure yours is coming.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: OWE
AA gc bought and posted. amex personal plat

JAN 7
AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$100.00
JAN 7
AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$100.00

JAN 5
AA MISC SALE/ TAX/ FDALLAS TX $100.00
JAN 5
AA MISC SALE/ TAX/ FDALLAS TX $100.00
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: OWE
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Mine didn't show up till third day, but the "posted" date was second day. I'm sure yours is coming.
same here. just saw the credit today (1/8) but it had the posted date of 1/7 - see above
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:01 pm

Signed up for Plat challenge with gold status for $400 and split payment over two Amex Platinum cards. One in SO's name. Both charged on 1/5 $200 each, amex airline fee reimbursed 1/7 automatically.
The agent did say he'd need a supervisor to split the payment, but no issues once he got one.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:13 pm

JAN 5 - Purchased $100 AA E-Gift Card
JAN 7 - Reimbursed $100 Credit
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: *G, AB Gold, EY Gold, Hilto Diamond, SPG Gold
Seems that NJ address is no longer an issue. Haven't used the cards yet, but received number and PIN without issue.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Bought $100 Jan 5 PRG.

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Indeed. It shows up this morning with the Jan 7 date. Interesting.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by lonatic
Just purchased 2x100 on separate transactions. Will notify when posted.
Credit posted 1/6/2017 ^ both gift cards purchased within hours of each other.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:35 am

Data point: 2 $100 AA GCs on Jan 1. No reimbursement yet.

Some thoughts on why:
* I changed the airline just a little earlier in the day, maybe it takes some time to apply?
* I haven't spent much on the card. 2 charges for AA on Jan 1 raised a red flag.

I don't particularly mind, I've donated the GCs to a charity auction (I would have spent a similar amount on an auction item). I'll put some more spending on the card over the next few weeks and try again.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by md125
* I haven't spent much on the card. 2 charges for AA on Jan 1 raised a red flag.
I don't think this has any bearing. American Express has been reimbursing these giftcard purchases since about 2011. They know the routine.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I don't think this has any bearing. American Express has been reimbursing these giftcard purchases since about 2011. They know the routine.
That's what I assumed, yet here we are 9 days in, and I haven't gotten reimbursed. Maybe I didn't wait long enough for after changing my airline choice... I checked online and it was changed to AA before I bought the gift cards. I've been doing this for years, and never had an issue.

Last year, I switched to UA and used the MPX app, this year I went back to AA. I'll post an update if/when I get reimbursed.

In any event, I go in knowing it's a gamble, and so I get something I will use even if they don't reimburse.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
DP ...

1/3 Changed airline from UA to AA
1/3 Purchased $100 on PRG and $100 on Plat
1/4 Purchased $100 on Plat
1/6 Transactions went from pending to posted eff 1/4
1/8 Credits posted eff 1/6
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by md125
Data point: 2 $100 AA GCs on Jan 1. No reimbursement yet.

Some thoughts on why:
* I changed the airline just a little earlier in the day, maybe it takes some time to apply?
Typically making $200 in GC purchases on a single business day are less likely to be reimbursed.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Just got a buy-up offer to First, any luck getting this reimbursed? I know I've done it with the Platinum credit on Delta before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.