Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:31 pm

Trying to figure out if AA or SW is better partner to use the giftcard trick with. Are there any expirations on the AA (or SW, if you happen to know) gift cards? These are useable for flights and stackable as payment methods, or resellable if desired, is this correct?

Thanks
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by temporarilypoor
...Are there any ...
The terms of AA giftcards are included in the Wikipost at the top of this thread. Southwest's terms are HERE. Please mention if any of your questions remain unanswered.

Last edited by mia; Aug 14, 2017 at 7:05 am Reason: Punctuation
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by brody24
Designated AA as my airline on Aug 8. Purchased 2 $100 GC's later that night. Still no reimbursement, 4 days later.
My biz plat one took 5 days, take a look at your benefits page and see if it shows "$200 saved in 2017" or if it still says you have $200 available. If it's the former, then your reimbursement is coming.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by seigex
My biz plat one took 5 days, take a look at your benefits page and see if it shows "$200 saved in 2017" or if it still says you have $200 available. If it's the former, then your reimbursement is coming.
Currently still says "$200 still available", 5 days after the purchase. Not sure whether I'll be getting any reimbursement out of this, whether I should try again, etc.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:20 am

Does anyone know buying AA points would also get reimbursed or not? Few thousands points short, and thought this might be a nice way to make up the points I need if Amex can reimburse it.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by hilton-gold
I don't do the gift card thing, but have had success with the following in recent weeks:

-Main Cabin Extra fees
-Mileage Multiplier (bought at online checkin)
-Lounge passes (bought online, but that option is gone now)
MCE fees seem like good options for my 2018 spend, once my Platinum status drops down to gold. And maybe a lounge visit or two, although even if reimbursed, at $60/pp it feels like a lot for an hour in a nicer seat.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I signed up for a gold challenge. I saw the charge on my account, but no credit.

So I called Amex. The representative at first said that challenge fees were excluded by the T&C, but said he would check with his supervisor. In the meantime, I reread them and didn't see anything to that effect.

He came back a few minutes later and told me that they were going to issue a credit "this time" because it wasn't listed as an exclusion. So I thanked him, but then asked why it would require special intervention to issue a credit for something that is pretty clearly an "incidental airline fee" that is not listed in the exclusions?

His reply was that it wasn't clear, and that it would be taken up at a higher level so that they could clarify the rules.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by endeavor8
Does anyone know buying AA points would also get reimbursed or not? Few thousands points short, and thought this might be a nice way to make up the points I need if Amex can reimburse it.
No, that is clearly excluded by the T&C: "This benefit doesn't offer credit toward airline tickets, mileage points purchases or mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, upgrades, duty–free purchases, or award tickets. "
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by stheller
... clearly excluded by the T&C: ...
As are gift cards, which are reliably reimbursed.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:08 pm

Amex Platinum, elected AA years ago.
Purchased 2 $100 gift cards in separate transactions on August 16th.
Reimbursed by Amex 5 days later.

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:32 am

AE mercedes benz platinum

selected AA

brought 2 $100 gift card on aug 10th.
nothing yet as of 23rd
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:46 am

Just purchased an $85 ticket. Will report back if credit is applied.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:32 am

New Amex Platinum

Bought 2 $100 AA gift cards in separate transactions on 8/20, posted on 8/20

2 $100 Amex airline fee reimbursements posted on 8/22
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
I have to make a change to an upcoming AA reservation (ticket was about $500). Unfortunately the new ticket is almost $300 more expensive (plus the change fee), but I want to try to use my Platinum card to get the $200 change fee reimbursed so I will only be out the difference in fare. Question: when I use "change this trip" on aa.com, while it does itemize the $200 change fee, it shows one single amount -- the "total charge" -- as what it will cost to change the ticket. Will AA break out the $200 when it processes the charge so that Amex will see this and credit my account? I don't want to be out of luck if they just charge it as one lump sum.

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:40 pm

PRG
$100 AA egc purchased 8/28
$100 reimbursement 8/30

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.