Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
So I'm following up to a post I did in early January about an AA ticket change fee and whether that qualifies for statement credit. I had to cancel 2 Cathay Pacific awards and paid the $150 ticket change fee for each ticket. After 4 weeks, I never got the credit from American Express. Just did an online chat with them and explained that these 2 purchases were airline ticket change fees and that I believe this should qualify for reimbursement. Agent verified them and has issued me $200 credit for it!

American Airlines did have to process these credits manually, which is maybe way I never got the credit, but none the less...
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by flyerhog
Jan 19 - Single $200 gift card bought
Jan 21 - $200 Reimbursed
Originally Posted by Tofe
Nice! I want to do this but i might just stay on the safe side and do two $100s.

I've always wanted to do this... has anyone tried and failed with a single $200?

Curious what the odds are...
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:14 pm

I had a $75 fee for a close in charge on an award ticket. It did not automatically post. I called in and they posted as a generic credit adjustment. Does that mean I can use that $75 again?

It is interesting that a $5.60 charge (FF ticket taxes) listed as passenger ticket was automatically reimbursed but a $19.20 charge (also FF ticket taxes) also listed as a passenger ticket was not automatically reimbursed.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:31 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SpootyPuff

I've always wanted to do this... has anyone tried and failed with a single $200?

Curious what the odds are...
Why is there an objection to buying 4 x $50 gift cards?
[I seem to remember reading of instances where 1 single $200 GC did NOT get an AMEX credit.]
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Why is there an objection to buying 4 x $50 gift cards?
[I seem to remember reading of instances where 1 single $200 GC did NOT get an AMEX credit.]
According to the guy I quoted, he just did a single $200 that was reimbursed.

I don't have an objection towards the 4x50's - but I have several CC's that I use for AA GC's and there is a limit of how many GC's you can use at once (IIRC it's 8)

I can't buy a plane ticket over $800 if I'm only using $100 GC's... well for free anyway
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SpootyPuff
... GC's... well for free anyway
Careful. A ticket purchased with giftcards isn't free. If you think of the airline fee reimbursement as a reduction in the card annual fee, the gift cards are not free. You paid for them with the partial refund from American Express, but it's still your money.
cce5858 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:08 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I have a $25 baggage charge on an additional card for one of my kids and it hasn't posted in 12 days. My understanding is that additional cardholders charges should go against my $200 credit. Is that correct and do you think this is why there is a delay in posting?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Careful. A ticket purchased with giftcards isn't free. If you think of the airline fee reimbursement as a reduction in the card annual fee, the gift cards are not free. You paid for them with the partial refund from American Express, but it's still your money.
True, you bring up a good point there.
My case is a bit different though - I've had my cards before I joined the military so no annual fees for me until I get out and go to the private sector.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: Various
Preferred Seating Charges + other fees

I see many successful gift card situations posted here, not sure every person needs to post, but...
Any successful transactions for the following lately ?

A. Charges for better seating, MCE, PE, etc.
B. Same day standby confirmed charges
C. Charges for in flight food purchases
D. Re deposit fees for award mileage reservation cancelled and returned to account

Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Robt760
I see many successful gift card situations posted here, not sure every person needs to post, but...
Any successful transactions for the following lately ?

A. Charges for better seating, MCE, PE, etc.
B. Same day standby confirmed charges
C. Charges for in flight food purchases
D. Re deposit fees for award mileage reservation cancelled and returned to account

Thanks.
For me, A, C, and D, definitely yes and automatic.

Never tried B.

Side note/opinion: the gift card success posts are far too prolific and a consistent reminder of some exploiting loopholes. I, for one, don't do it and instead do many of the real incidentals listed - among others.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:14 pm

$100 AA Gift Card... no problem...

$50 Baggage Fees... not posted... lol
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: All of em...
Registered for AA for fee reimbursement.
Next day purchased 2 $100 GC's.
Credits posted 2 days after purchase, no problem.
^^^
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I did 2x $100 GC, about a week apart. Successful.

Kinda neat that these purchases also earned the 4x MR bonus
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 4aks
I did 2x $100 GC, about a week apart. Successful.

Kinda neat that these purchases also earned the 4x MR bonus
What did it show in your Amex statement?

I just did the same but it shows as Ticket Sale rather than Misc Sale.

Haven't received reimbursement yet. It's been two days.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dantevn
What did it show in your Amex statement?

I just did the same but it shows as Ticket Sale rather than Misc Sale.
Haven't received reimbursement yet. It's been two days.
Any thoughts?
I was just reimbursed for a $100 GC. Here is what the charge stated:

Doing business as:
AMERICAN AIRLINES
4333 AMON CARTER BLVD
FORT WORTH
TX
76155-2664
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (THE)
Additional Information: 20170307 AA.COM

AMERICAN AIRLINES

Reference: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Category: Travel - Airline
Dispute/Inquire about this Charge

Flight Details
Passenger Name: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Date of Departure: 03/06
Ticket Number: XXXXXXXXXX
Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.