Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Changed airline on 1/30, purchased 2x $100 in separate transactions about an hour later (this worked fine earlier in the month for spouse w/ two different plats). Charges posted two days later with 1/30 charge date. Today 1/4 still no credit. Notes say taxes/fees/misc, which is different that spouse's charges earlier this month though I can't remember what those said.

All my attempts in the past have been successful and credited automatically within 2-3 days. I'm thinking this time it didn't, though I did nothing differently. I'll wait 8 weeks then inquire.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
AA Mileage Multiplier $142.98 purchased 2.1.2017, reimbursed 2.3.2017.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:54 am

Purchased: 2x$100 on 2/2/17

Credit Posted: 2x$100 on 2/5/17

AMERICAN AIRLINES 451074 - 800-433-7300, TX
Doing Business As:
AMERICAN AIRLINES
4333 AMON CARTER BLVD
FORT WORTH
TX
76155-2664
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (THE)

Category: Travel - Airline
Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S)
Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Changed airline on 1/30, purchased 2x $100 in separate transactions about an hour later (this worked fine earlier in the month for spouse w/ two different plats). Charges posted two days later with 1/30 charge date. Today 1/4 still no credit. Notes say taxes/fees/misc, which is different that spouse's charges earlier this month though I can't remember what those said.

All my attempts in the past have been successful and credited automatically within 2-3 days. I'm thinking this time it didn't, though I did nothing differently. I'll wait 8 weeks then inquire.
Same story, just different dates. Never received the credit.
It was not very easy, but got it done manually after a few attempts.
I don't see a reason for keeping this card, now that we have Chase Reserve. Much easier use of credits.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by igorjrr
Same story, just different dates. Never received the credit.
It was not very easy, but got it done manually after a few attempts.
I don't see a reason for keeping this card, now that we have Chase Reserve. Much easier use of credits.
I'm going to wait till my bonus points post in another month or two then I'll call and ask about it. If not, I'll use these and just try again...slower. Very bizarre how random the fails are.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:01 pm

2 x $100 AA gift card, no reimbursement

Purchased 2 $100 american airlines gift cards in two separate purchases on 1/27/2017. As of today, 13 days later, 2/9/2017, no reimbursement at all. I had switched airlines to american about 10 minutes prior to purchasing, however, I confirmed the airline was changed. Thinking of giving them a call. From the recent posts, looks like some are having success, some are not. Perhaps the wiki should be updated with a word of warning. Would not have picked this airline had I known there could be issues.
Any warnings about calling to inquire with Amex regarding this?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:23 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Dr.milology
Gift cards are explicitly excluded from reimbursement. What do you propose to say?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Gift cards are explicitly excluded from reimbursement. What do you propose to say?
I could avoid the discussion of what it was for. The charges show up on amex as: Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S) .

From previous posts on the subject, I thought I read some people have had success calling and getting this resolved. So I am just wondering if anyone has any advice in doing this.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I could avoid the discussion of what it was for. The charges show up on amex as: Document Type: MISCELLANEOUS TAX(S)/FEE(S) .

From previous posts on the subject, I thought I read some people have had success calling and getting this resolved. So I am just wondering if anyone has any advice in doing this.
Makes sense to me ... Emphasize that you are curious as to whether you got hung up on the timing of the airline switchover: "Say, a couple of weeks ago I had some miscellaneous fees to cover for some American flights, so it seemed like a good time to re-register with American. I did so, but maybe I did so too quickly before I had to pay the fees, since there has been no reimbursement. Can you give me any help with this?" After all, your issue is the switchover. You fly a lot, you got a lot of things going on ... Who can remember what fees various folks were hitting you up for when?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:59 pm
mia

Very good. Here is the advice provided by American Express:

American Express relies on accurate airline transaction data to identify incidental fee purchases. If you do not see a credit for a qualifying incidental purchase on your eligible Card after 4 weeks, simply call the number on the back of your Card. See terms & conditions for more details.
You might get an agent who will complete the request now, or you might be asked to call again.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
2x $100 4-Feb.
Reimbursed 2x $100 6-Feb.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:02 am

Purchased 2 $100 american airlines gift cards in two separate purchases on 1/27/2017. As of today, 13 days later, 2/9/2017, no reimbursement at all. I had switched airlines to american about 10 minutes prior to purchasing, however, I confirmed the airline was changed. Thinking of giving them a call. From the recent posts, looks like some are having success, some are not. Perhaps the wiki should be updated with a word of warning. Would not have picked this airline had I known there could be issues.
Same thing happened to me. They don't do anything before 14 days have passed, and they will try to ask you to wait for more time.
I ended up getting a manual credit.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:53 am

deleted

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 1, 2019 at 5:37 pm
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:53 pm

Adding a datapoint for New Jersey
Bought 4 x $50 in Dec 2016 and 4 x $50 in Feb 2017 on Platinum with no issues. NJ address on both AMEX and AA accounts.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: SPG gold; otherwise just base in everything so far, but learning!
Another data point

Switched airline to AA January 30.

Purchased four $50.00 e gift cards the same day.

Charge posted January 30, refunded February 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.