Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:22 am

transaction on 1/10 was reimbursed for me as well. looks good.

anyone worried about clawbacks from Amex in these cases? Seems like they are cracking down on loopholes.

Also, anyone have the ameriprise platinum? It doesn't have the same airline reimbursement tracker in the benefits tab, though it worked fine for me last year.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by 2010sf
transaction on 1/10 was reimbursed for me as well. looks good.

anyone worried about clawbacks from Amex in these cases? Seems like they are cracking down on loopholes.

Also, anyone have the ameriprise platinum? It doesn't have the same airline reimbursement tracker in the benefits tab, though it worked fine for me last year.
Hello! Lurker here. Now member

1/10 i used ameriprise for 100 AA, just got reimbursed today. So yes, ameriprise working. Going to go for another 100 today to complete the 200 total.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Executive Platinum
1/10 purchased $100 gift cards on Platinum, Platinum Biz. and Gold. Credit posted 1/13 on all three of them.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
There is nothing on the right side of my screen under posted transactions. I have the list of purchases and that's it.

Same for my Biz Platinum card. All is good.
Are you on a browser or mobile? You won't see it if you're on mobile using an app. If you check via a browser, all you have to do is click on the detail charges and it'll show on the right side.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:34 pm

Well, this is new ...

I purchased a $100 AA eGC on my PRG on 1/10.

Charge posted on 1/12 (just once / no duplicates) and travel credit issued by AmEx on 1/13.

Went to retrieve my GC just now after the 72-hour window and it gave an error message ..."We are sorry but we have encountered a problem activating your American Airlines Gift Card. Please contact the sender of this card to advise them you were unable to retrieve your gift.

We apologize for any inconvenience."

I called AA and they say the transaction couldn't be verified and it is "in the process of being refunded."

Very odd. I hope AA refunds it soon!

And I wonder what will happen to the $100 credit now.

Looks like this is all a part of whatever issues AA was having processing transactions earlier this week but eh ... shucks.

Question: Those of you who purchased eGCs on 1/9 or 1/10 and had issues with duplicate transactions, etc ... are you able to retrieve your eGCs? And have you seen a refund from AA for the duplicate thus far?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Well, this is new ...

Charge posted on 1/12 (just once / no duplicates) and travel credit issued by AmEx on 1/13.

Went to retrieve my GC just now after the 72-hour window and it gave an error message ..."We are sorry but we have encountered a problem activating your American Airlines Gift Card. Please contact the sender of this card to advise them you were unable to retrieve your gift.

I called AA and they say the transaction couldn't be verified and it is "in the process of being refunded."

Looks like this is all a part of whatever issues AA was having processing transactions earlier this week but eh ... shucks.

Question: Those of you who purchased eGCs on 1/9 or 1/10 and had issues with duplicate transactions, etc ... are you able to retrieve your eGCs? And have you seen a refund from AA for the duplicate thus far?
mine was on 1/10, clicked the link earlier and im not at the 72 hour mark yet. in about 2 hours will be.

will update in about 2 hours.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This happened frequently in the early years of this benefit. You can look here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...11-2016-a.html

Generally the Airline Fee credit was not reversed when AA refunded the purchase. It could be different this time if is related to the double billing, but I think it doesn't really matter to American Express because their exposure is capped at $100 or $200 per account.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:50 pm

Well, this is new ...

Purchased mines on 1/9 and had the duplicates. I got the refund from AA and credit from Amex also.

I was able to retrieve both my $100 eGCs fine.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by mia
Does anyone have a recent AA giftcard purchase which has appeared on a paper or PDF statement? It has been reported in the Chase forum that AA giftcard transactions on VISA network now include an unambiguous code that Chase customer service reps can see, but the cardholder cannot see the code in the online transaction description - only when the paper/pdf statement is generated. (This doesn't matter for Chase Sapphire Reserve reimbursements, but it does for Ritz Carlton reimbursements.)

I am curious if AA is passing similar detail to American Express. These transactions have been reliably reimbursed since this feature was added to the Platinum Card, and I am confident that American Express has long known that they are giftcard purchases.
My Amex Bus. Plat. PDF statement with my 1/9 charge, duplicate charge, credit-back, and 2x airline fee credits posted.

Since this was the date with issues, it may not be a great example, but, does have the following:

01/09/17 AMERICAN AIRLINES ******** 800-433-7300 TX
AMERICAN AIRLINES
N/A N/A YY Y
N/A YY 00
N/A YY 00
N/A YY 00
Ticket Number: 001********** Date of Departure: 01/09
Passenger Name: LASTNAME/FIRSTNAME
Document Type: ADDITIONAL COLLECTION
OPEN EXTENDED PAYMENT OPTION LB
I don't see any "unambiguous code."
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FindAWay
I don't see any "unambiguous code."
No, the VISA description includes: GFT

Last edited by mia; Jan 13, 2017 at 3:47 pm
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:02 pm

Quote:
Well, this is new ...

Originally Posted by chetoc230
mine was on 1/10, clicked the link earlier and im not at the 72 hour mark yet. in about 2 hours will be.

will update in about 2 hours.
just checked, egc link works. printed and good to go. your's might be an isolated incident?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Well, this is new ...

just checked, egc link works. printed and good to go. your's might be an isolated incident?
You gave me quite a scare, as I hadn't redeemed the GC yet. I just did now and it worked fine. Perhaps an isolated incident.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat
Purchase two $100 AA gift cards on 1/5/17. Reimbursement posted on 1/7/17.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This happened frequently in the early years of this benefit. You can look here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...11-2016-a.html

Generally the Airline Fee credit was not reversed when AA refunded the purchase. It could be different this time if is related to the double billing, but I think it doesn't really matter to American Express because their exposure is capped at $100 or $200 per account.
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
You gave me quite a scare, as I hadn't redeemed the GC yet. I just did now and it worked fine. Perhaps an isolated incident.
Thanks all. Looks like I just got caught up in the midst of AA's payment system debacle.

- 2x $100 AA eGC charges never went pending (two separate Platinum accounts)

- 1x $100 AA eGC charge did go pending / posted / travel credit reimbursed (the PRG) / was never able to retrieve the GC ... Yesterday, AA first claimed they have refunded the charge; followed by "your CC was never charged"! I will wait it out for a few days but looks like I may have to file a dispute with AmEx.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:10 pm

Another $100 purchased. Posted on the 11th, Credit received on the 13th.

I'm tapped for the year LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.