Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changing preferred airline after $200 fee has been used

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:34 am
formerly oyalkut
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM

Hi all,

My current preferred airline is Delta. I am returning from New Year's vacation during the first days of January and anticipate having to pay for luggage and SkyClub access for my family, which would trigger a fee reimbursement if placed on Amex.

What would happen if later (before end of January) I wanted to change my preferred airline to Jet Blue?

Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You will be able to change your airline preference on 1.1.2017. If you don't change it before a flight which triggers a partial use of the benefit I believe you will still be able to change, and use the remainder of the benefit for another carrier.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:54 am

And, if I were to switch from DL to WN for next year, I would still retain Skyclub access I am assuming,,?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by xooz
And, if I were to switch from DL to WN for next year, I would still retain Skyclub access I am assuming,,?
Airline fee reimbursement and lounge access are two separate benefits, so yes, you would retain Skyclub access no matter which airline you choose for the airline fee reimbursement.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:16 am
mia

Originally Posted by xooz
... retain Skyclub access,?
Provided you are flying on Delta:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ion-delta.html
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:22 am
formerly oyalkut
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by mia
You will be able to change your airline preference on 1.1.2017. If you don't change it before a flight which triggers a partial use of the benefit I believe you will still be able to change, and use the remainder of the benefit for another carrier.
Thanks Mia! My preference would be to keep Delta for the first week of January to get the reimbursement for the upcoming fees, then switch it to JB so that I can book upcoming tickets with a 50% points refund (It's Amex Business Platinum). Seems that I should be able to do that, but wanted to confirm
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by mia
on PRG I was told "no changes, period". Had it on AA 2015. Used it. 2016 I did nothing so it auto-enrolled back to AA. Cannot change it online myself. Had chat with customer care and one guy said he will change it to CX for me. Paid baggage fees on CX with it. Logged in and found it is still showing AA and unused.

Had another customer care chat and was told that it cannot be changed towards the end of the year under any circumstances
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:17 am
mia

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
... chat with customer care and one guy said he will change it to CX for me.
Cathay Pacific is not a valid choice. Only domestic USA airlines are eligible. (Virgin America is excluded, no explanation.)

As written the terms do not permit a change after January. In practice, customer service may permit a change if you have not received any reimbursement in calendar 2016. They do not have to do this. It's a favor. Ask nicely by telephone. Have a narrative about your holiday travel plans.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:02 pm

Oh!!! Hmm. So I got 2 weeks left to do something with American Airlines. I have 3 AA flights tomorrow but can't think of anything that will be reimbursable. I got enough baggage allowance on the ticket and they exclude GoGo Internet and Duty free. Looks like I messed up this year.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:14 pm
mia

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
...can't think of anything that will be reimbursable....
If you can persuade them to change your selection to AA you can buy two $100 giftcards, which do not expire. Naturally, you will not mention giftcards because they are explicitly excluded, but they work. See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-aa-only.html
Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by mia
If you can persuade them to change your selection to AA you can buy two $100 giftcards, which do not expire. Naturally, you will not mention giftcards because they are explicitly excluded, but they work. See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-aa-only.html
Wow. Thanks mia. Saved me once again. Done as suggested and it worked.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Changing Airlines in January- AMEX $200 Reimbursement

Does anyone know if I used all or part of my $200 AMEX Platinum credit in January with one airline, if I can subsequently change to a different airline (primarily to take advantage of the Pay with Points option)?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Does anyone know if I used all or part of my $200 AMEX Platinum credit in January with one airline, if I can subsequently change to a different airline (primarily to take advantage of the Pay with Points option)?
Under Benefits

Select a qualifying airline. Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of your flight with that airline, and you can get 50% of the points back.

Or, with any airline, book a First or Business class flight and you can get 50% of the points back. No enrollment necessary.‡
Airline selected:
How it Works

Select the qualifying airline you want online, or by calling the number on the back of your Card. You can change your airline selection online or by phone once a year in January.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mhdena
Under Benefits

Select a qualifying airline. Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of your flight with that airline, and you can get 50% of the points back.

Or, with any airline, book a First or Business class flight and you can get 50% of the points back. No enrollment necessary.‡
Airline selected:
How it Works

Select the qualifying airline you want online, or by calling the number on the back of your Card. You can change your airline selection online or by phone once a year in January.
But will they even allow me to change to another airline before January 31st if I've used part of the 2017 benefit with another airline?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:51 am
mia

Originally Posted by MarkP24
But will they even allow me to change to another airline before January 31st if I've used part of the 2017 benefit with another airline?
Sometimes it's better not to ask permission. Click here and report the outcome:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...=airlinechoice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.