Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA Amex PERSONAL charge cards "please pay by" date is now a "due" date.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Amex PERSONAL charge cards "please pay by" date is now a "due" date.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:30 am

Posted links but guess they got deleted... Long story short come 1 January 2017 a whole lot of changes are coming for AmEx it seems.

Guess since losing Costco they've got to make up that revenue some how. Then you have the competition (Chase Sapphire cards come to mind), going after AmEx core demographics.

What others have said is (or was) true; previously long as payment was received before closing date there wasn't a late fee. As of the new year everyone will have a set "payment due" date just as with credit cards. If payment is not made by midnight on said date there will be a nice fat late fee, and one assumes loss of points as well.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Posted links but guess they got deleted....
No post made by BugsyPal has been deleted from the American Express forum in 2016. If you have something to share, please try again

Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
there is no legitimate business reason to shorten the due date by just a few days in my view.
Sure there is. Every day that Amex allows someone to not pay their bill is another day they're floating cash.

Multiply that out by the very large numbers of customers Amex has that may take advantage of all that time, and I'd bet there is a not-insignificant financial upside for them even without any late fees that might occur.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

With the expected 25 basis point interest rate increase will = huge profit to amex
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by mia
No post made by BugsyPal has been deleted from the American Express forum in 2016. If you have something to share, please try again

Moment is gone.... *LOL*

Cannot recall nor find what one posted first time:

http://www.businessinsider.com/ameri...crease-2016-11

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/americ...20161125-00144

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...mex-due-dates/

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2016/1...r-lose-points/

Last edited by BugsyPal; Dec 10, 2016 at 7:15 pm
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:09 am

PRG pay by date changed

Did not see a thread about this yet. Today I logged on to one of our PRG accounts and noticed that the pay by date had changed to ten days later. Normally the statement closes around the 18th-20th (the 20th this month) and the pay by date would be the 4th of the next month. However it now says the pay by date is Jan. 14th. I looked back through some older statements and saw a message about having to pay the minimum payment by the pay by date, but nothing about the date actually changing. I'm not complaining, and I try to pay most or all of the balance by the closing date anyway...but just wondering if anyone knows why it changed.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knopfler
Did not see a thread about this yet.
Presumably because you (a) did not search for "pay by" (in quotes) and (b) it was being discussed over a month ago, and the discussion has fallen off, and it was no longer on the first page of this forum. Your post has (since) been moved into the thread about the announcement of it.

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 28, 2016 at 2:58 pm Reason: removed link which no longer made sense after thread merge
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:56 pm

Probably A or a combo of A and B. Thanks for the link. I never knew that pay by date was really just a suggestion.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by knopfler
Did not see a thread about this yet. Today I logged on to one of our PRG accounts and noticed that the pay by date had changed to ten days later. Normally the statement closes around the 18th-20th (the 20th this month) and the pay by date would be the 4th of the next month. However it now says the pay by date is Jan. 14th. I looked back through some older statements and saw a message about having to pay the minimum payment by the pay by date, but nothing about the date actually changing. I'm not complaining, and I try to pay most or all of the balance by the closing date anyway...but just wondering if anyone knows why it changed.
I noticed that too. Also, we have the same pay by date. Haha.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I like it better that way. Shows clearly when they will take the money from my checking account. The 'please pay by' was nonsense IMO.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
My Amex Plat Charge card now has a "due date" vs please pay by date. I had always paid last day of month-which was about 4 days before closing. Now its "due" the 28th. I called Amex Plat and sure enough, they said they are dropping the 15 day "please pay by" date plus 15 day "grace" period to the closing date and putting in a 25 day due date. I got the feeling this is happening on many (if not all) accounts but I could easily be wrong on that.

I will admit that this seems to have happened about 60 days since I used Sign and Travel for the first time ever. It will be paid off in Feb. Not sure if that was a trigger.

I asked them to change the due date to 1st day of month. They did without hesitation for Feb 1.

This didn't cause any issues, but glad I saw the change and wasn't late on anything.

(Now that mia mover this to a complete relevant thread, I have the full picture. I really did try to search for a topical thread. )

Last edited by Mr. Vker; Dec 31, 2016 at 6:24 pm Reason: Removed first clause after moving post to current thread.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I will admit that this seems to have happened about 60 days since I used Sign and Travel for the first time ever. It will be paid off in Feb. Not sure if that was a trigger.
Now that it's in the right thread I think you can dismiss that theory too. Many people never used Sign and Travel ever, and yet are getting this change too.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
My December bill changes the wording from "please pay by" to now say "due date"

The bill cycle ends 1/6 but the payment due date is 1/1, 5 days earlier than the unwritten due date in the past.

It's sort of annoying mainly because I have had the same bill cycle for for almost 35 years. Now I need to remember to pay sooner (or I suppose set up autopay). It really feels like AMEX is doing my this as a "gotcha" to charge fees to folks caught off guard because there is no legitimate business reason to shorten the due date by just a few days in my view.
When I first opened an AmEx account, I was offered the opportunity to pick my billing cycle as first, middle, or last ten days of the month. At one time also, you were fine if you sometimes paid before the second closing date, giving you effectively two months if you were traveling abroad, etc.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:27 am

They sent a notice out about this earlier in the year but when I called the agent said the penalty would only apply if you had an outstanding pay over time debt - NOT if you only had charges themselves. If the agent misled me I am not a happy customer.

The point of having a charge card is to use it for business expenses and such which will be reimbursed but sometimes require a couple of weeks (and sometimes a valid statement) to get the money back from the company. That's why paying by the next statement made Amex somewhat worthwhile.

I've been a platinum owner for almost 20 years and have been discouraged by the nickel and diming that's occurred over the past few years but this one may very well take the cake as it goes straight to the core of the purpose of a charge card. I don't see the point in paying $450 a year if I'm going to get penalized for missing a shortened due date at the same rates as a normal credit card while waiting for the company's accounting department to get around to paying me back
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Anyone had a statement close early enough this month? What day is your "payment due date"? Is it 2 weeks after the statement date, or 25 days? Or another length of time?

If no data points, I will report my own once my statement close date occurs in several days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.