Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Incredible value for 90,000 MR points: coast-to-coast on Virgin America in First

Incredible value for 90,000 MR points: coast-to-coast on Virgin America in First

Old Nov 4, 16, 9:48 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by bodiddely View Post
...not sure what the relevance is?
My take is that Duke787 thinks the transatlantic redemption is a better use of points, and this is relevant assuming one has a finite supply.
Old Nov 5, 16, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
That's right as far as it goes, but given that this is a thread about domestic (US) transcontinental flights, I'm not sure what the relevance is?
Originally Posted by mia View Post
My take is that Duke787 thinks the transatlantic redemption is a better use of points, and this is relevant assuming one has a finite supply.
Yep exactly - my OP upthread noted that I found TATL to be a better redemption than VX domestic especially since I live in a city where TCON has no bells and whistles (and for that matter doesn't have VX service at all). The only true TCON is RDU - SFO which is standard domestic F with both a cookie and ice cream / gelato (aka only worth it if if the price is right or you are able to use an RPU).

The next post with a link to the AC award chart was simply a follow-up since there was confusion about the accuracy of the numbers I cited for AC redemptions.

As with all mileage redemption YMMV but for me personally, I find AC for TATL the best use of my MR (though I haven't explored NH as much as I probably should).
Old Nov 5, 16, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
To the OP: if BOS-SFO in Virgin America First Class using MR is a redemption you frequently make, you might consider getting the AmEx Business Platinum. I'm seeing lots of dates where the cash price is $1600 or less (meaning the MR cost, after the 50% rebate, would be less than 80k points). You could get that redemption regardless of which airline you select as your "Preferred" airline given that these are first class tickets. And you'd earn status/RDM miles for the flights. Happy to refer you to the 100k Biz Plat offer if you PM
Thanks very much. I have the Bus Plat, but I didn't realize it came with this benefit. I'll look into it.
Old Nov 5, 16, 8:43 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
... have the Bus Plat, but I didn't realize it came with this benefit. I'll look into it.
It's new. Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...demptions.html
Old Nov 5, 16, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
never flown on virgin america but i struggle to see "incredibleness" of domestic rt for 90K..
iirc with NH i can make a rt to europe or japan for similar amount... with SQ i went IAH-DME for <100k (plus noticeable YQ admittedly)
ymmv of course - this may be a good solution for a particular pattern of travel but i wouldn't call it a sweet spot of mr redemption...
Agreed. I've flown VX F several times ORD-LAX and it's a very nice domestic product. But 90k for a single roundtrip? To compare, back in June, I transferred 110k MR to KrisFlyer and flew roundtrip F to Moscow.
Old Nov 7, 16, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Fantastic. FlyerTalk is the best.
Old Nov 7, 16, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

I took a look at the pay with points option on my itinerary. It would be 135,000 points after the 50% rebate. So, in my case the 90,000 is still an excellent deal. I wouldn't pay the $2,700 retail price for this trip, but I would pay $2,000. That works out to 2.2 cents per point, which I think is a good "sales" price for points.

Search this Thread